diy solar

diy solar

SDGE NEM 1.0 - Maximum upgrade size of 1KW - how is it defined?

soylentgreen

I'm on SDGE NEM 1.0 plan, and as far as I understand it, I can increase my grid-tied solar system size by up to 1KW and still stay on NEM 1.0:

• Customers whose system capacity is 10 kW or smaller can increase the capacity by up to 1 kW.
  • Customers whose system capacity is larger than 10 kW can increase capacity by up to 10% of the original capacity.
Link
Am I correct that these are the SDGE rules for NEM 1.0? (The variations of all the NEM plans are confusingly named)

My setup:
  • I have a 5000 W AC grid-tie inverter
  • I have 5300 W (DC) of solar panels, but my panels are west facing and somewhat shaded, so I'm not generating anywhere near 5300W.
  • One document from my solar installer lists "5300W DC, 4654W AC" but I'm not sure where the AC number comes from.

If a 1KW increase is allowed, what does the "1KW increase" refer to - is this DC panel total nameplate watts? Is this my inverter size? Is it my maximum power output? Some other metric?

I researched this also for PGE NEM 2. No definitive answers. ie grey area. The 1kw increase could mean total kw of PV system, all panels added together. Or, peak kw's to grid increased up to 1kw. Which could mean a lot more than 1kw of addition panels if they are facing different directions.

I can assure you many have added 1kw+ with no ramifications. My inexperienced opinion thinks not changing the inverter is important, referring to string inverter, as is not increasing total peak kw to grid beyond 1kw. Whatever peak happens to be during most productive day...

If you find something definitive please let me know.

AC vs. DC likely comes from CEC list of panels, actual power output under realistic conditions vs. STC, and inverter efficiency.

I'd just overpanel the hell out of it, say 10kW of panels in two orientations. The inverter would deliver 5kW several hours per day, supplying your loads and exporting the rest.

Or first, upgrade to a 6kW inverter (maybe need to notify them), later overpanel to 12kW.

If you have older panels around 13% efficient like mine, you can buy new (maybe used) panels around 20%, which puts 150% as much wattage on the same mounts. Be sure to pay attention to Voc first, current second.

Back