diy solar

diy solar

Seplos CAN BUS RS485 48v 200A 8S-16S BMS

if you are sure you have the rs485 version ( please post serial sticker) , it should be comnected to the port labelled canbus on the bms..
after set protocol in the bms , using the softwaee to RM485, and reboot bms.

after this change protocol on inverter to pylontech and reboot your inverter fully.

after this connect the bms cable ( make sure you use the correct pinout in the cable as it is port/device specific)

after all above is done correct, battery icon in display will start flashing, signaling the inverter is getting data from the bms
Thank your for the instructions to set the protocol on the RS485 version of the Seplos BMS.

>after set protocol in the bms , using the softwaee to RM485, and reboot bms.
I tried the step above but get an timeout error when trying to set the RS485 protocol to Pylontech using the PC software.

Attachments

• RS485_set_error.png
    RS485_set_error.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 25
Ok but i have issue to set the 485 protocol, the command goes in timeout, some one have this?
View attachment 98437
I have the RS485 version of the BMS and get the exact same error/issue.
I tried to monitor/check the serial data on the BMS Inverter port (also called CAN on the RS485 version of the BMS) but cannot see any data when I try to poll it with https://github.com/kellerza/sunsynk or http://github.com/Frankkkkk/python-pylontech seeing no RX serial data.

I can only think it is because I cannot set the BMS to RS485 PylonTech mode even though it was ordered with that as default RS485 protocol.

The pinouts used are as from manual for RS485 version published in Resource section
RS485 BMS
1/2/7/8 : Not connected
4: RS485 A (called RM485 in manual)
5: RS485 B (called RM485 in manual)
3/6: GROUND

The cable used is 2m length twisted pair.

Does anyone have a possible solution for this?

I have the RS485 version of the BMS and get the exact same error/issue.
I tried to monitor/check the serial data on the BMS Inverter port (also called CAN on the RS485 version of the BMS) but cannot see any data when I try to poll it with https://github.com/kellerza/sunsynk or http://github.com/Frankkkkk/python-pylontech seeing no RX serial data.

I can only think it is because I cannot set the BMS to RS485 PylonTech mode even though it was ordered with that as default RS485 protocol.

The pinouts used are as from manual for RS485 version published in Resource section
RS485 BMS

The cable used is 2m length twisted pair.

Does anyone have a possible solution for this?
Isn't pylontech a CAN bus focused protocol?

According to Pylontech US2000/US3000 manual, the battery fully supports both RS485 (at baud rates 9600 and 115200) and CAN bus
Thats good to know. Sure wish that was the same with my inverters! This industry is screaming for standards! Maybe in the US the IEEE will get involved someday.

Isn't pylontech a CAN bus focused protocol?
not really, canbus or rs485 is just the medium the protocol is carried over.
what is truely frustrating is that these voltroniic/mpp-solar inverter have a dual canbus/rs485 port on board, but they refuse to enable canbus on it ( rather enable the pylontech protocol on it), like most other manufactorers do

I have two battery packs and Seplos BMS-es. One battery is 200Ah and one 50Ah.
I have a Growatt inverter with RS485 communication.
BMS-es are equal (16s, 100A and RS485 - not CAN).
One BMS is connected to the inverter and the inverter recognizes the BMS and all work correctly (all switches are off).
If I connect two BMS-es with network cable inverter report error (error with BMS).
I do switch settings according to the documentation for RS458 and also try settings for CAN.. Result is the same. Have any similar issues like this? Have any suggestions?
Thanks!

One BMS is connected to the inverter and the inverter recognizes the BMS and all work correctly (all switches are off).
If I connect two BMS-es with network cable inverter report error (error with BMS).
I do switch settings according to the documentation for RS458 and also try settings for CAN.. Result is the same. Have any similar issues like this? Have any suggestions?
Thanks!
For the one BMS that works correctly, please confirm if you use this pinouts as from manual for RS485 version published in resource section
RS485 BMS

Thanks!
So you have bms one, DIP Sw 1 on (rest off) and bms two, DIP Sw 2 on (rest off), and it doesn't work?
You're connecting to your inverter from bms one?

So you have bms one, DIP Sw 1 on (rest off) and bms two, DIP Sw 2 on (rest off), and it doesn't work?
You're connecting to your inverter from bms one?

For the one BMS that works correctly, please confirm if you use this pinouts as from manual for RS485 version published in resource section
RS485 BMS
Thank you.. I will try today. Where I can find particular documents. In my documentation I can't find text with 'RM485'.

Where I can find particular documents.
in my seplos BMS manual there is a section with pinouts and diagrams, they refer to the ports as RS485 in a section called Communication.

from the 200A BMS manual:
1664968882080.png

Thank you, but @deonbez says :
RS485 BMS

Thank you.. I will try today. Where I can find particular documents. In my documentation I can't find text with 'RM485'.
I got the manual for the RS485 BMS version from https://diysolarforum.com/resources/seplos-bms-rs485.266/ (thanks to houseofancients :) ).
Not sure where it was sourced as it is not part of the official Seplos BMS manuals shared on their google drive.
Only the CAN BMS versions are provided there.

CAN BMS version manual is this one https://diysolarforum.com/resources/seplos-48v-200a-8s-16s-bms.218/

Last edited:
@duunoit Link RS485A to RS485A with standard Cat5 patch lead

For the DIP Switches
Master = 5 ON / All others = OFF
Second = 1 ON / All other = OFF
In the Photo, Master is at the bottom, Second is at the top. Master has CANBUS to the Sofar ME3000, RS485A to Second RS485A, Second has RS485B to USB dongle
View attachment 114106
I know in the manual that says it is specifically for RS485 (but 100a version?) says to set DIP switches like you have but the manual reported as for the CAN version (https://diysolarforum.com/resources/seplos-48v-200a-8s-16s-bms.218/) has a table specifically for the RS485 on pg 34 that shows Pack 1 - has DIP 1 on, all others off and Pack 2 - has DIP 2 on, all others off.

Have you tried it this way also? I also remember seeing (somewhere on Seplos's YT channel?) that you had to power cycle the BMS to re-read the DIP switches.

**edit**
it's overall page 34 (page is actually labelled -31-)

Last edited:
I also remember seeing (somewhere on Seplos's YT channel?) that you had to power cycle the BMS to re-read the DIP switches.
My 200A bms manual seems to imply that you should not change the DIP switches while the BMS is operating.

Back