diy solar

diy solar

Seplos CAN BUS RS485 48v 200A 8S-16S BMS

I know in the manual that says it is specifically for RS485 (but 100a version?) says to set DIP switches like you have but the manual reported as for the CAN version (https://diysolarforum.com/resources/seplos-48v-200a-8s-16s-bms.218/) has a table specifically for the RS485 on pg 34 that shows Pack 1 - has DIP 1 on, all others off and Pack 2 - has DIP 2 on, all others off.

Have you tried it this way also? I also remember seeing (somewhere on Seplos's YT channel?) that you had to power cycle the BMS to re-read the DIP switches.

**edit**
it's overall page 34 (page is actually labelled -31-)
I only have one pack so all DIP switches are off.

As I understand it, the RS485 DIP switch settings are for inter pack communications on RS485 BMS version.

The CAN DIP switch settings (different to RS485 DIP switch settings) are for inter pack communications on CAN BMS version.

I would think it would be better to switch of the BMS, change the DIP switch settings, and then switch on again.

Thank your for the instructions to set the protocol on the RS485 version of the Seplos BMS.

>after set protocol in the bms , using the softwaee to RM485, and reboot bms.
I tried the step above but get an timeout error when trying to set the RS485 protocol to Pylontech using the PC software.
Today Seplos support indicated to me that I don't need to set the RS485 Protocol to Pylontech as the RS485 version automatically determines the inverter protocol. I am out of options as I can see the inverter trying to communicate with the BMS which does not seem to respond.

@houseofancients, from many posts it looks like you have successfully integrated the Seplos BMS RS485 version with your inverter (unsure which brand). Do you mind sharing more details (ito pinouts, baudrate settings, or anything else that can assist) so that us fellows which are struggling to get it going might learn from you?

Last edited:
I only have one pack so all DIP switches are off.

As I understand it, the RS485 DIP switch settings are for inter pack communications on RS485 BMS version.

The CAN DIP switch settings (different to RS485 DIP switch settings) are for inter pack communications on CAN BMS version.

I would think it would be better to switch of the BMS, change the DIP switch settings, and then switch on again.
Sorry that was a reply to championc.

Today Seplos support indicated to me that I don't need to set the RS485 Protocol to Pylontech as the RS485 version automatically determines the inverter protocol. I am out of options as I can see the inverter trying to communicate witb the BMS which does not seem to respond.

@houseofancients, from many posts it looks like you have successfully integrated the Seplos BMS RS485 version with your inverter (unsure which brand). Do you mind sharing more details (ito pinouts, baudrate settings, or anything else that can assist) so that us fellows which are struggling to get it going might learn from you?
well, here goes, on the off chance of sounding like an idiot, but in reality i followed the manual ( the one i uploaded in the resource section) as to cable pin outs and dip settings.
I am running the RS485 version of the BMS ,as i swapped out the CANBUS version i had for the RS485

i am running 3 x Voltronics Axpert 8000 max's ( 3 Phase) for now
Have the first HW version of the rs485 bms
set my "master" inverter to Pyl at option 5 ( Reboot inverter after !!! ) , the others to USE

My BMS was set to RM485 per default, so no change needed

changed a UTP cat5e cable to reflect the pin-out in the manual, taking extra care to make sure connecting the right ends in the BMS and Inverter
UTP cable going to inverter is connected at the BMS in the ( mislabelled ) CANBUS port

dip switches set per manual, but shut bms down before changing them, and booted them with the new DIP switch settings.

after reboot it can take upto 60 seconds for the battery icon to start flashing ( meaning it's connected to the BMS) after a reboot

For monitoring i connect my laptop using a USB to RS485 device to my master battery - RS485 port a , using 19200 BAUD as my BAUD setting

really that is it
will be changing my inverters to Deye/Sunsynk's ( 12k 3 phase - x 2) in the comming months , which also means ( if i read correctly ) that i will need the CANBUS version of the BMS...
I suppose i will be ordering their 1.6 version, which is supposed to be much easier to work with and supports both CANBUS and RS485 ate the same port, autoselect the correct method , but guess i'll find out how that works

I know in the manual that says it is specifically for RS485 (but 100a version?) says to set DIP switches like you have but the manual reported as for the CAN version (https://diysolarforum.com/resources/seplos-48v-200a-8s-16s-bms.218/) has a table specifically for the RS485 on pg 34 that shows Pack 1 - has DIP 1 on, all others off and Pack 2 - has DIP 2 on, all others off.

Have you tried it this way also? I also remember seeing (somewhere on Seplos's YT channel?) that you had to power cycle the BMS to re-read the DIP switches.

**edit**
it's overall page 34 (page is actually labelled -31-)
Did you not see my Photos ?

For ONE Seplos only - ALL DIP switches are OFF
For TWO Seplos - On MASTER Seplos, DIP 1 is ON, all the rest off, On Secondary Seplos, DIP 5 is ON, all the rest is off

For a cable between TWO Seplos, just just need standard Cat5 patch cable

well, here goes, on the off chance of sounding like an idiot, but in reality i followed the manual ( the one i uploaded in the resource section) as to cable pin outs and dip settings.
I am running the RS485 version of the BMS ,as i swapped out the CANBUS version i had for the RS485

i am running 3 x Voltronics Axpert 8000 max's ( 3 Phase) for now
Have the first HW version of the rs485 bms
set my "master" inverter to Pyl at option 5 ( Reboot inverter after !!! ) , the others to USE

My BMS was set to RM485 per default, so no change needed

changed a UTP cat5e cable to reflect the pin-out in the manual, taking extra care to make sure connecting the right ends in the BMS and Inverter
UTP cable going to inverter is connected at the BMS in the ( mislabelled ) CANBUS port

dip switches set per manual, but shut bms down before changing them, and booted them with the new DIP switch settings.

after reboot it can take upto 60 seconds for the battery icon to start flashing ( meaning it's connected to the BMS) after a reboot

For monitoring i connect my laptop using a USB to RS485 device to my master battery - RS485 port a , using 19200 BAUD as my BAUD setting

really that is it
will be changing my inverters to Deye/Sunsynk's ( 12k 3 phase - x 2) in the comming months , which also means ( if i read correctly ) that i will need the CANBUS version of the BMS...
I suppose i will be ordering their 1.6 version, which is supposed to be much easier to work with and supports both CANBUS and RS485 ate the same port, autoselect the correct method , but guess i'll find out how that works
Thank you for the detailed explanation.

I managed to get the RS485 version (marked as 10D Model) of the BMS going with our Sunsynk inverter after loading a new RS485 firmware version (see attached not for CAN Version) as received from Seplos support. As previously mentioned, they indicated I don't have to set the RS485 Protocol from the Battery monitor PC application. As I only have one BMS, all DIP switches are off.

Cable pinouts used:
BMS RS485 (called CAN) <-> Sunsynk Inverter RS485:
4 <-> 2 (or 7)
5 <-> 1 (or 8)

Sunsynk is set to RS485 and Protocol 12 (for Pylontech)

Attachments

• RS1101[FW27_M485_PN35_220512].zip
    39.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
For still suffering the Sepols BMS with Solis Inverter alarm issue which causes the inverter to report OV-VBatt-H when the BMS is reporting 100%, I finally have a solution! I spent the last few weeks talking to a Seplos tech who has been very helpful, trying out lots of different fixes.

We finally got it working when we uploaded a modified firmware program to the BMS. For anyone interested, the firmware file and download instructions are attached.

Rather than cutting off the charge abruptly when it is at the 10A 'trickle' stage (and putting the inverter into an alarm state) it slowly tapers down from 10A as the pack voltage increases.
Did you have 8S firmware plz

For still suffering the Sepols BMS with Solis Inverter alarm issue which causes the inverter to report OV-VBatt-H when the BMS is reporting 100%, I finally have a solution! I spent the last few weeks talking to a Seplos tech who has been very helpful, trying out lots of different fixes.

We finally got it working when we uploaded a modified firmware program to the BMS. For anyone interested, the firmware file and download instructions are attached.

Rather than cutting off the charge abruptly when it is at the 10A 'trickle' stage (and putting the inverter into an alarm state) it slowly tapers down from 10A as the pack voltage increases.
hello for lifepo04 the firmware please ?

Just as an update, this firmware bricked my BMS and has rendered it useless. I strongly advise you dont use this firmware update.

Grazie per la spiegazione dettagliata.

Sono riuscito a far funzionare la versione RS485 del BMS con il nostro inverter Sunsynk dopo aver caricato una nuova versione del firmware RS485 (vedi allegato) ricevuta dal supporto Seplos. Come accennato in precedenza, hanno indicato che non è necessario impostare il protocollo RS485 dall'applicazione per PC di monitoraggio della batteria. Poiché ho solo un BMS, tutti gli interruttori DIP sono spenti.

Pinout dei cavi utilizzati:
BMS RS485 (chiamato CAN) <-> Sunsynk Inverter RS485:
4 <-> 2 (o 7)
5 <-> 1 (o 8)

Sunsynk è impostato su RS485 e Protocollo 12 (per Pylontech)

Just as an update, this firmware bricked my BMS and has rendered it useless. I strongly advise you dont use this firmware update.
that is firmware for CAN 10C model. what model do you have?

Well, I had a bad problem with the diode d4. My bms doesn't turn on anymore and doesn't show any signs of life. With the instruction, kindly provided by the seplos engineer, I took measurements and found out that the diode is punctured and needs to be replaced. Many users have suffered from this problem. The tech support helps, of course. At least it makes me happy. We need to look for this ill-fated Schottky diode. Seplos is ready to provide this worthless detail for free, but who will bring it from the Celestial Empire? No one is interested in such a small thing.
I guess I will have to buy new bms and then they will send me the part from the old bms to re-solder d4 diode and repair old bms. It will be a backup.
Such is our unhappy life.

Well, I had a bad problem with the diode d4. My bms doesn't turn on anymore and doesn't show any signs of life. With the instruction, kindly provided by the seplos engineer, I took measurements and found out that the diode is punctured and needs to be replaced. Many users have suffered from this problem. The tech support helps, of course. At least it makes me happy. We need to look for this ill-fated Schottky diode. Seplos is ready to provide this worthless detail for free, but who will bring it from the Celestial Empire? No one is interested in such a small thing.
I guess I will have to buy new bms and then they will send me the part from the old bms to re-solder d4 diode and repair old bms. It will be a backup.
Such is our unhappy life
many users have gotten this diode by mail, or sourced it locally ..
not sure why you would need to buy a new bms

Such is our unhappy life.
When did you buy your BMS? How long was it in service?

many users have gotten this diode by mail, or sourced it locally ..
not sure why you would need to buy a new bms
I have not yet been able to find the right part in my city. It's a long delivery from China. Ordered, parts will arrive in December.
BMS is made December 2020, I received it in July 2021, for various reasons I was able to assemble the system only in May 2022. Accordingly, the BMS ran for 5 months intermittently.
I have nothing bad to say about this BMS, in fact, I like it.
But things like this spoil all the good stuff.

Back