diy solar

diy solar

Server rack batteries in an RV?

No, they have to install it in ways to protect the equipment like shock mounts, all cable connections are silicone, for example, to keep them from vibration loose, and everything is kept cool. We had to recycle them, and they were tough to take apart.
You just describe what I was saying. They are made and designed to absorb vibration. You can’t just go to Staples and swap out a unit.

link for the manual?
The environmental requirements are shown in table 4.2.
Table 4.2 Environmental Requirements
Type
Requirement
Working Ambient Temperature Range
-13F~158F
Storage Ambient Temperature Range
-13F~158F
Relative Humidity
≤95%
Atmospheric Pressure Range
86kPa~106kPa
Site Environment
No conductive dust, corrosive gas, or vibration. Keep away from heat and flame.

section 4.1.1 in manual

The environmental requirements are shown in table 4.2.
Table 4.2 Environmental Requirements
Type
Requirement
Working Ambient Temperature Range
-13F~158F
Storage Ambient Temperature Range
-13F~158F
Relative Humidity
≤95%
Atmospheric Pressure Range
86kPa~106kPa
Site Environment
No conductive dust, corrosive gas, or vibration. Keep away from heat and flame.

section 4.1.1 in manual
So they have prizmatic cells very similar to any DIY build (except they are grade A cells ? ) with laser welded terminals and a pretty fantastic build quality beyond that. Where is the vibration mentioned, defined as RV use?

So they have prizmatic cells very similar to any DIY build (except they are grade A cells ? ) with laser welded terminals and a pretty fantastic build quality beyond that. Where is the vibration mentioned, defined as RV use?
Well, I had looked into buying one of their 12-volt 400ah batteries for my RV before I had the money for batteries, and once I had the money, they were sold out, but I'm glad because I made a much better deal. Not that EG4 is bad a battery, far from it, one of the best, but I just got more batteries at a better price elsewhere, and they're good batteries. I was not worried about vibration so much as space.

Really man, it is right there in the list, the last line . An RV does nothing but vibrate.

Really man, it is right there in the list, the last line . An RV does nothing but vibrate.
But, the only time an RV is on the road is to go from one place to another for an extended stay. Your acting like an RV is on the road 27/7. That is rarely the case; besides, they burn too much gas or diesel to make that practical unless you're rich and famous.

But, the only time an RV is on the road is to go from one place to another for an extended stay. Your acting like an RV is on the road 27/7. That is rarely the case; besides, they burn too much gas or diesel to make that practical unless you're rich and famous.
What I am saying is the normal travel on roads creates enough vibration To work things loose. In any event it would void the warranty.

Well, I see it this way, Tony. If a battery is too delicate to ride around in the back of an RV now and then, It isn't worth $1500 to me. I want something rugged and durable. I can mount the batteries I bought sideways and run the Rubicon trail, and they'll be okay. I like that in a battery. :cool:

There are thousands of server racks scrapped every year that can be picked up dirt cheap and many have the slide in rails. And doors/sides/fans etc.
Why pay lots of dosh for a simple frame ?
Look at these lovely units, sorry facebook link - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/308988170695792/
these are actually the same as i own.
unfortunatly no eg4's in europe ( that i know of), so i'm trying to repurpase old 6 u storage chassis to house the cells and bms

It's worth also considering "floor loading". You're talking about stacking up several hundred pounds with a 24x24" footprint. Most RV storage bay floor's won't handle that without reinforcement. You'll rapidly find yourself leaving a pile of batteries for the cars behind you as your rolling earthquake drives down the freeway ?

I understand the concept of the RV earthquake. But an earthquake has a different feel than a vibrator. :oops: ? I also understand the concept of the way the battery was built. And there is noting in the construction any different than any other store bought batt. And nothing any different than any DIY built batt. Except... the quality is amongst the top of either of those.

And Will just put one in his trailer. I wonder if he pulls it any where?

So.... once again... I see the vibration line. But I do not see the RV line. So if I read between the lines, what you are telling me is that you have no RV specific knowledge. But... if you do, please post it

It's worth also considering "floor loading". You're talking about stacking up several hundred pounds with a 24x24" footprint. Most RV storage bay floor's won't handle that without reinforcement. You'll rapidly find yourself leaving a pile of batteries for the cars behind you as your rolling earthquake drives down the freeway ?
What do the batteries weigh?

101.4 pounds
So... if I stack 2 batts, thats 200lbs. A little less than what I weigh. I can stand comfortably on a 1ft square. I can hop up and down on the ball of one foot, and not fall through the floor. And the 1" x 2" ball of my foot is, an order of magnitude less less surface area than a 2 foot square.

So unless folks point and say.... hey there is Cousin Eddie as you pull up, ? I think we can both can agree a couple of batts falling out of the RV is ridiculousness. :rolleyes:

Well, I see it this way, Tony. If a battery is too delicate to ride around in the back of an RV now and then, It isn't worth $1500 to me. I want something rugged and durable. I can mount the batteries I bought sideways and run the Rubicon trail, and they'll be okay. I like that in a battery. :cool:
True story, the wife and I were out by Teddy R National Park in the hills this summer on a Forest Service road when I met up with a ranch owner that was going elk hunting with his son. I asked how to get to Elkhorn which was TR's ranch location (btw, don't waste your time going to Elkhorn). He said, well you are on the wrong side of the Little Missouri River, you need to head down south to the interstate, cross the river, then head back north to about equal where we were. About 2.5 hours of road time.

He asked if I had 4 wheel drive, I said sure do. He offered to take me across the river on his private crossing. Wading thru the river wasn't a problem, it was the climb out of his ranch up this ridge that had grades of well over 20% with loose rock. Good thing I had some good tires on the truck, climbed right up there with a good run at it and that heavy truck camper on the back.

I really think he wanted to see if I could make it up the ridge. :cool:

Anyway, he said he let me thru simply because he saw I was from Iowa and he originally was from West Des Moines. He knew I wouldn't enter private land without permission and he saw me backing up from his gate. Iowans tend to help each other all the time from my experience traveling.

And yes, my LFP pack rode thru the whole thing no problem, I don't quite think I'd want a server rack battery with a ride like that.

So..... Some rubber grommets and I'm good?? I kinda like the idea of using one of these eg4's in a camper as well. Not in a rack, just as a stand alone mounted to the base of a cabinet. . I liked the 24vx200A budget pack. Seems like a solid unit with some good features for the price. What do you all think? I drive bumpy roads.

So..... Some rubber grommets and I'm good?? I kinda like the idea of using one of these eg4's in a camper as well. Not in a rack, just as a stand alone mounted to the base of a cabinet. . I liked the 24vx200A budget pack. Seems like a solid unit with some good features for the price. What do you all think? I drive bumpy roads.
Well, I just bought four Chins 12-volt 200ah, and once configured, I will have 400ah at 24-volts for $2400, do the math; that's a deal, and they'll take anything you through at them. They also have an exceptional build with 200amp BMS's.

Back