diy solar

diy solar

Server rack batteries in an RV?

True story, the wife and I were out by Teddy R National Park in the hills this summer on a Forest Service road when I met up with a ranch owner that was going elk hunting with his son. I asked how to get to Elkhorn which was TR's ranch location (btw, don't waste your time going to Elkhorn). He said, well you are on the wrong side of the Little Missouri River, you need to head down south to the interstate, cross the river, then head back north to about equal where we were. About 2.5 hours of road time.

He asked if I had 4 wheel drive, I said sure do. He offered to take me across the river on his private crossing. Wading thru the river wasn't a problem, it was the climb out of his ranch up this ridge that had grades of well over 20% with loose rock. Good thing I had some good tires on the truck, climbed right up there with a good run at it and that heavy truck camper on the back.

I really think he wanted to see if I could make it up the ridge. :cool:

Anyway, he said he let me thru simply because he saw I was from Iowa and he originally was from West Des Moines. He knew I wouldn't enter private land without permission and he saw me backing up from his gate. Iowans tend to help each other all the time from my experience traveling.

And yes, my LFP pack rode thru the whole thing no problem, I don't quite think I'd want a server rack battery with a ride like that.
I just bought four Chins, and they're solid batteries for the price.

So... if I stack 2 batts, thats 200lbs. A little less than what I weigh. I can stand comfortably on a 1ft square. I can hop up and down on the ball of one foot, and not fall through the floor. And the 1" x 2" ball of my foot is, an order of magnitude less less surface area than a 2 foot square.

So unless folks point and say.... hey there is Cousin Eddie as you pull up, ? I think we can both can agree a couple of batts falling out of the RV is ridiculousness. :rolleyes:
First, I understood it as "several" which could mean as many as 4.
Second, you do you. ?

I just bought four Chins, and they're solid batteries for the price.
I bought 2 Zoom 100Ah for my trolling batteries on my boat. For the size however, you can almost make 280Ah packs in the same space which was my first intention. I will see how they hold up with some vibration as the boat does get trailered 100 miles each way when I do go fishing.

True story,

And yes, my LFP pack rode thru the whole thing no problem, I don't quite think I'd want a server rack battery with a ride like that.
The server rack batts use the same LFP cells. Whats the difference?

I'm late to this thread and I'm catching it at the end. Apologies if this has already been covered. My meager contribution to this thread is that none of the cabinetry in my RV is something I would trust to mount a server rack battery in. Significant upgrades would have to be done to put those in cabinets. If I had a fifth wheel, I would skip the cabinets altogether and reluctantly mount them in the basement with some significant structural racking. That's a crapload of weight to not have on the floor, which is where I would first choose to put them.

I'm late to this thread and I'm catching it at the end. Apologies if this has already been covered. My meager contribution to this thread is that none of the cabinetry in my RV is something I would trust to mount a server rack battery in. Significant upgrades would have to be done to put those in cabinets. If I had a fifth wheel, I would skip the cabinets altogether and reluctantly mount them in the basement with some significant structural racking. That's a crapload of weight to not have on the floor, which is where I would first choose to put them.
My concerns also, and I've got a 28-footer. Luckily the Chins I bought only weigh 46 pounds each. The inverter is 28 pounds, I think. I just don't see the advantage for the price.

The server rack batts use the same LFP cells. Whats the difference?
My battery pack assembly is made from 1/2 aluminum plate and securely fastened down with bolts. The cells are compressed with foam in between each cell, they will not vibrate or have the ability to move.

Compare that to a server rack battery assembly made of sheetmetal held together with screws. No insulating material between cells. One could possibly make a bracket to fasten it down but with limited cabinet space, you have to get it all in a tight area.

Next, my terminals have bolted on busbars, double nutted with a locknut on top. If the BMS detects a fault due to a poor connection, I can repair it. With a welded busbar and it comes loose, well, I guess I live without a working solar system.

My concerns also, and I've got a 28-footer. Luckily the Chins I bought only weigh 46 pounds each. The inverter is 28 pounds, I think. I just don't see the advantage for the price.
So 2 chinns = one server rack for weight. Does 2 chinns = 1 server rack for kwh?

Kinda sorta covered. 2 Server rack batts stacked on the floor weigh less than I do. There is no flooring that can't hold me. And I can get my 200lbs on a few square inches of the ball of my foot. The factory racks cover 24" in each direction. Batts cover a little less than that. But still faAar more surface area than the ball of my foot

My battery pack assembly is made from 1/2 aluminum plate and securely fastened down with bolts. The cells are compressed with foam in between each cell, they will not vibrate or have the ability to move.

Compare that to a server rack battery assembly made of sheetmetal held together with screws. No insulating material between cells. One could possibly make a bracket to fasten it down but with limited cabinet space, you have to get it all in a tight area.

Next, my terminals have bolted on busbars, double nutted with a locknut on top. If the BMS detects a fault due to a poor connection, I can repair it. With a welded busbar and it comes loose, well, I guess I live without a working solar system.
You can find dozens of threads with the studs pulled out of terminals I don't think I've seen a thread with laser terminals that have come loose. :unsure:

Kinda sorta covered. 2 Server rack batts stacked on the floor weigh less than I do. There is no flooring that can't hold me. And I can get my 200lbs on a few square inches of the ball of my foot. The factory racks cover 24" in each direction. Batts cover a little less than that. But still faAar more surface area than the ball of my foot

On the floor I have no problem with.

You can find dozens of threads with the studs pulled out of terminals I don't think I've seen a thread with laser terminals that have come loose. :unsure:

There is one thread that I can think of, in the past few months, where a laser welded terminal came loose. It's an anomaly for sure.

I liked the 24vx200A budget pack. Seems like a solid unit with some good features for the price. What do you all think? I drive bumpy roads.

I'm also looking at the 24V EG4 for my camper. I will put in on the floor of the basement It's heated down there anyway.

Hi - Does anyone know if these batteries be mounted with the faceplate facing upward? This would be as if the server rack was lying down. I hope that makes sense. Thanks, C

Hi - Does anyone know if these batteries be mounted with the faceplate facing upward? This would be as if the server rack was lying down. I hope that makes sense. Thanks, C
Looks like they can be

Hi everyone, planning to get the EG4 24V 200AH x 2 for my travel trailer. Hoping to find a way to mount one on top of the other in about a 14 inch high space. Do you think this is possible?

Not sure that signature solar has suggestions for how to mount these. Could anyone who has already received and installed there's share some pictures or ideas of what they've done? Would be happy to share mine once I install but likely won't receive them for a month and trying to build something for them during that time so I'm ready to go once received.

Thanks for your help!

Signature said in another thread around here that they can be mounted in any position. I currently have two just sitting on each other in my passthrough, but before I move I'll use some aluminum angle to secure them together by the "ears" and then probably straps and footman loops to secure them to the floor. Unless I move them to my generator compartment, then I'll weld up a rack for them all.

Hi everyone, planning to get the EG4 24V 200AH x 2 for my travel trailer. Hoping to find a way to mount one on top of the other in about a 14 inch high space. Do you think this is possible?

Not sure that signature solar has suggestions for how to mount these. Could anyone who has already received and installed there's share some pictures or ideas of what they've done? Would be happy to share mine once I install but likely won't receive them for a month and trying to build something for them during that time so I'm ready to go once received.

Thanks for your help!
Check out Enduro https://www.enduropowerbatteries.com/collections/batteries

You won't get 2 stacked in a 14 inch H space with just any of the batteries out there. Unless you could mount them sideways, contact Enduro and ask them. Check out the video in this post.
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/enduro-power-batteries.24473/post-458307

Back