diy solar

diy solar

Server Rack LiFePO4 batteries. Where to find UK stock?

I got in touch with Jakiper who are more than happy to ship to the UK for $1700 ea if you order 4+ and will take 2 months.

I personally need to wait to get a Smart Meter installed so I can charge on the Octopus 7.5p tariff overnight. Scottish Power or Octopus don't want to install one!

By the time I get the Smart Meter installed they will have come down in price :)

DM me if you want contact details.
Does that include shipping DDP?

Thank you for your reply! I am aware of the regulations yes. I guess I am an early adapter? :)

I want to use my battery in combination with an energy supplier that's working with dynamic pricing. I'm planning on charging the battery with solar/off-peak energy, and supplying the stored energy back into the grid during peak hours.

Haven't found anything which states it's prohibited to do so. The difference in tariffs will give a financial reward when used with storage, so even though The Netherlands is still on net metering, it can still be financially interesting to start using a storage system already.

Theoreticly you can, but I don't know any inverters which allow backfeeding powered from batteries.

The MPP ones can backfeed, but only excess PV.

Also, I haven't calculated it, but do those providers also give these rates when you're backfeeding on specific hours? From what I've seen prices are quite high if you need to use the grid yourself. Eg easyenergy lists their hourly prices.
You can use the EPEX price forecast for the next day to determine the best moment to charge, but you also have to pay taxes on the incoming price, while the price you're getting from the energy supplier is ex taxes.

So it doesn't make sense to buy power for 15 cent, add 15 cent taxes, and sell it for 40 cent.. That difference is too small to make up for the installation costs.

I'm looking for these options as wel, but
- Since you still can do 'salderen' it doesnt make sense yet
- I live in an appartment where the VVE (owners of the building, existing of all owners from the apartments) prohibits solar on the roof.. so no PV for me

In a few years I hope thing are different. Having the physical space to actually put a nice rack, having my own regular home, with plenty of space for PV.

Also, I'm quite sure pricing for electricity is going to change to more variable, to prevent a infrastructure meltdown... so they will 'force' people to do local (house or neighbourhood) peak shaving, and by increasing prices on peak moments, more people will lower their usage..
If everyone start charging their EV at 18.00... that's going to fail eventually.

Theoreticly you can, but I don't know any inverters which allow backfeeding powered from batteries.

The MPP ones can backfeed, but only excess PV.

Also, I haven't calculated it, but do those providers also give these rates when you're backfeeding on specific hours? From what I've seen prices are quite high if you need to use the grid yourself. Eg easyenergy lists their hourly prices.
You can use the EPEX price forecast for the next day to determine the best moment to charge, but you also have to pay taxes on the incoming price, while the price you're getting from the energy supplier is ex taxes.

So it doesn't make sense to buy power for 15 cent, add 15 cent taxes, and sell it for 40 cent.. That difference is too small to make up for the installation costs.
Some of the MPP can also backfeed from the batteries. I contacted them to ask this question. There are other brands which can do the same like Goodwe for example.

With net metering still in place, you don't have to pay the taxes. So if you draw 100kwh for 6 cent (excl taxes) at night and sell 100kwh for 26 cent (excl taxes) during peak hours, you pay 0 cent in taxes because you've taken out 100kwh and sold 100kwh again = 0kwh used while still net metered.

Sounds perhaps too good to be true, so correct me if I'm wrong :D

And yes, these providers do give you the same hourly tariffs when you backfeed, and also apply net metering since they have to by law.

Last edited:
Some of the MPP can also backfeed from the batteries. I contacted them to ask this question. There are other brands which can do the same like Goodwe for example.

With net metering still in place, you don't have to pay the taxes. So if you draw 100kwh for 6 cent (excl taxes) at night and sell 100kwh for 26 cent (excl taxes) during peak hours, you pay 0 cent in taxes because you've taken out 100kwh and sold 100kwh again = 0kwh used while still net metered.

Sounds perhaps too good to be true, so correct me if I'm wrong :D

And yes, these providers do give you the same hourly tariffs when you backfeed, and also apply net metering since they have to by law.
sounds very much too good te be true...
for delivering power back to the grid my provider pays me wholesale prices ( enexis/essent ) , so i suggest you make very very sure your above statement is correct

sounds very much too good te be true...
for delivering power back to the grid my provider pays me wholesale prices ( enexis/essent ) , so i suggest you make very very sure your above statement is correct
That's why I'm talking about dynamic pricing, not about fixed pricing like you're referring to with Essent. I'm pretty sure about my statement to be honest. Dynamic pricing is about varying wholesale prices and not about fixed wholesale pricing like your Essent reference

But like I said; prove me wrong ;-)

Last edited:
I got in touch with Jakiper who are more than happy to ship to the UK for $1700 ea if you order 4+ and will take 2 months.

I personally need to wait to get a Smart Meter installed so I can charge on the Octopus 7.5p tariff overnight. Scottish Power or Octopus don't want to install one!

By the time I get the Smart Meter installed they will have come down in price :)

DM me if you want contact details.
I checked with them and the cost has gone up to $1939

Best option is 24 units @ $1599 landed in the UK. If there is enough interest in a group buy in the UK, happy to sort. DM me if interested.

Which inverters were you guys thinking of using with these batteries? Are there any that are UK DNO approved that can be configured with a CT to maximise self consumption?

I checked with them and the cost has gone up to $1939

Best option is 24 units @ $1599 landed in the UK. If there is enough interest in a group buy in the UK, happy to sort. DM me if interested.
I might have missed this up thread, but what is the spec for these?

Hi All new member here, and I've been playing around with off-grid and hybrid systems for the last 6 years. Started with a small 12v 2000w inverter with a 200w solar panel, and 40A solar controller, with a view to expand, well I moved on a bit since then!

I am based in the UK and have a 3kw solar array running a 5.5kw Iconica Hybrid Inverter which runs most of all the small circuits in the house. Currently using Lead Acid Batteries in the loft space (well ventilated) and looking to switch to Lithium currently looking to order Seplos Mason 10kWh battery packs, but there minimum order is 3. I only need 1, so looking share if anyone is interested in the UK only.

We also have a Setec 6kw Mobile Power Station enabling me to access one of 2 Nissan Leaf's one my driveway. I use it to run the ASHP which is proving expensive due to lack of insulation, but we will get that sorted in the term, the Setec is our short term solution.

To provide us with hot water we have a Sunamp 9kw, yes its all new tech here in this 1963 Bungalow in mid Wales.

Hi Kman68

Yes, but they have since upgraded the 48V(15c) 206Ah battery pack, to 51.2V(16c) 206Ah battery pack, internal structure is similar to 48V 206Ah battery. They have also optimized in some aspects, improvement of mechanical strength, can now be stacked in 4 packs, balanced circuit optimization, more reasonable distribution of cells, the capacity is increased to 10.5kwh, interface security is improved.

I am currently talkiing to them about having a DC circuit breaker fitted, as a one off.

I've been offered a retail price of 3750USD or 2800GBP to and I, plus shipping.

Which I think is great value for money what do you think?
10kwh for £2800 - so that's £280 per kwh. That's pretty competitive for a fully built server rack battery with all the bells and whistles built in.

Last edited:
People in the US have really picked up and ran with the "Server Rack Batteries" terminology.
Server rooms do NOT have battery packs or related equipment, they are always separate & isolated from any form of server room. So it was in all of our IT Installations (Former IT Engineer for National Defence). Please do not bother with the UPS argument which is a separate thing altogether.

Try searching for TELECOM Rack Mount Batteries !
Also be aware this is presently a Trend / Fad which is popular and as such in demand and rules of Demand/Supply apply, therefore expect more $$.
These can also come as Stackables, People are "just now" discovering those and that format as well... Base Module is on wheels and extra modules stack ontop.

As we all know, the moment something becomes popular/in-demand, the price climbs to the maximum the market (consumer) will pay... The Market Bares Pricing model is invoked... Follow Trends / Fads & you pay for it, so keep that in mind folks.

Why is the such a price difference between the 2 markets?
good question.
i suppose some has to do with import taxes into the EU/UK .
but i think most is due to low order volumes.
same goes for most

( thanks steve ) telecom
batteries.

i'll stick to ordering cells for now

Back