diy solar

diy solar

Setting up JDB?

MartinRaz

Hi

Recieved the JDB, but no guidance or info about how to set it up. How to connect to Bluetooth?

Tried asking company - but they don't answer any questions at all - even if they claim to answer within 24 hours.

Hi

Recieved the JDB, but no guidance or info about how to set it up. How to connect to Bluetooth?

Tried asking company - but they don't answer any questions at all - even if they claim to answer within 24 hours.
I've been dealing with Emily, and she sent me everything I asked for, including the full overkill instruction manual. What bms did you get?

Attachments

• Overkill_Solar_BMS_Instruction_Manual.pdf
    6.5 MB · Views: 448
I've been dealing with Emily, and she sent me everything I asked for, including the full overkill instruction manual. What bms did you get?
Thank you ?

But can I just use the manual 1:1 even when I don't have the Overkill?

I got the large 200A version

Is that a programmable BMS?
It might actually not be.

I tried to ask seller different questions before buying, but none got a real answer - only told me to buy this:

I asked several times if it had Bluetooth connection - where the answer again was a reccomendation of the above.

When looking at specs now, it seems
Default protection parameters (which can be adjusted by us
So it seems it cannot.

Is that an issue?
If none bluetooth connection - how do I then track/watch status?
Should I connect something else?

A friend has a Victron shunt he offered me - there I should be able to watch status as well?

1619938346090.png

It's a dumb BMS meaning parameters can not be set by the user. Nothing wrong with that since the BMS should be the last line of defense to protect the cells in case something else in the system fails.

Generally the normal HVD and LVD of BMS's is 3.65 and 2.50 volts respectively. The BMS you bought is set at 3.85 +-0.05 volts and 2.30 volts +- 0.1 volts. That means the HVD could kick in at 3.90 volts and the LVD could kick in at 2.20 volts.

The balance start voltage is 3.60 volts and the normal setting for that is 3.40 volts. I would not be too concerned about it since the balance current of passive balancing BMS's is so small it doesn't help much if at all. The balance current of your BMS is only 20-30ma's.

The BMS is probably better than nothing if it will work. The problem with testing the HVD and LVD is they are both outside of the parameters of the cells specifications. LiFePO4 cells should never be charged over 3.65 volts and discharged more than 2.50 volts. While I have noticed some cells survive this I don't know if there is any long term damage.

I don't think there is any way to monitor the individual cell voltages using this BMS. And a Victron shunt is not capable of that either. If it was me I would return the BMS and get a smart BMS or a dumb BMS with proper settings.

Ok - thank you for the detailed information!

So return this, and buy one of their smart bms instead - which would then be with lower Amp, but that is better than a defect battery ?

Thank you ?

But can I just use the manual 1:1 even when I don't have the Overkill?

I got the large 200A version
I bought the 150A version. I know the overkill instructions are not for the bigger models, but the set up should be the same. Did you get the spec sheet?

If you are building a 4 cell battery and the current output is less than 120 amps then the Overkill version with Bluetooth is a better alternative. Overkill is out of stock at the moment. Available from other suppliers, look for the statement that the Bluetooth dongle is supplied with the BMS.
I have received good service and quick shipping from this company,

Make sure you select the correct type from the pull down list. I ordered,

4S Lifepo4 120 A with UART and RS485

$63 plus shipping cost. If you chose the fast shipping expect 5 to 10 days. pay by PayPal.

The version without RS485 is slightly lower cost.

Mike

Hi people would love some help. Have brought some lifepo4 batterys with a jbd-2p045006 bms i am charging them with pannels and my alternator. The issue im having is that the bms seems to momenterily shut the batterys down, this happens even when taking a tiny charge from my pannels. Its not a issue when its just the pannel charging it, it goes back to normal after a second the issue is when it happens with my alternator charging as it seems to be creating a large power spike and creating damage in my electrical system, i cant help but wonder if its the bms shutting down momentarily to balance cells? can someone please help me to understand this issue and give me some advise on what to do.

What are the solar controller charge voltage settings, the model of batteries you have, and method of controlling alternator power. These details will help.
The most likely issue is cell overvolts shutting down the charge path.
Any screen shots of BMS settings and status reports, if Bluetooth type, will also help.

Mike

What are the solar controller charge voltage settings, the model of batteries you have, and method of controlling alternator power. These details will help.
Any screen shots of BMS settings and status reports, if Bluetooth type, will also help.

Mike

Mike
solar controler voltage settings are 29v as its a 24v system so its my opinion it the bms shutting batterys down at solar charging only time not solar controler i have no control of my alternator external regulater apart form being able to put it in forced float mode when batery alarm goes off when voltage gets to 27.3v my batterys dont have blu tooth

Charge voltage is too high for your batteries cell balance in a 8 cell 24 volt battery or inbalance in two 12v batteries connected in series.
If self built batteries the top balance process may not have been carried out successfully. If 12v batteries in series, they need to be charged separately before being connected in series.
The usual technique is to reduce the charge voltage is stages until you have sucessful charging without BMS shutdown and increase the absorbtion duration. Over a number of charge cycles the BMS should bring the cells Into better balance.
Your battery seems to develop issues at 27.3 volts, suggesting significant cell inbalance or issues with cell interconnections and/or balance leads.
Alternator charging usually needs a battery to battery DC to DC converter charger to control charge current and voltage.

More details on your system would be useful.

Back