diy solar

diy solar

Setup advice for camper on off-grid seasonal site

DwsMls

Last year I purchased a 2021 Cherokee 274BRBBL travel trailer. I am in Maine and have seasonal off grid lot in a campground. Last year we struggled with keeping our 12vdc fridge going all week using 5 88 lead acid batteries and the factory installed 50w panel we found that we could turn off the camper disconnect and let just the fridge run it would make it through the week most of the time…. I had someone watching it for me and we finally started just turning it off so that I would not drain the batteries to low.

Looking for a way around this worry. So, I researched and came up with a plan.

First, I do not want to mount anything on the roof of my trailer. The camper will be used mostly on weekends from mid-May until mid-October. I will also be adding a 12-volt socket outlet for use of a CPAP machine.

My plan is to use 4 100-watt(20.4v 4.91a) Renogy compact panels. These will be wired with 10awg wire in series to a 15A MC4 inline fuse that is then connected to an MC4 to SAE adapter. The SAE adapter will be plugged in to an SAE plug wired to and Epever 50A controller (giving me the option to add 2 more panels in series later). From the controller using 6awg wire I will go to a 60amp circuit breaker with a 6awg wire in to 2 or 3 Chins 100Ah batteries in parallel.
The camper power supply is lithium ready, so I just need to switch it over. I plan to place the batteries and charge controller in the storage compartment under the master bed. During the first and last part of the season where the temps may dip below 32 at night I would disconnect the panels to prevent possibility of charging those batteries while the camper is not in use.
The reason for the SAE connection is so that I can just easily unhook the panels at the end of the season the connection would be placed inside a watertight case mounted on the inside of the frame of the camper underneath.

I will mount the panels on a ground rack so they can be tilted and angled for the best possible chance for sun.

Also, this camper came with the Juice Package with a Waree pwm charge controller and a 50watt panel on the roof. Anyone know If I can use this with those batteries or do I just disconnect this and abandon it while using the lithium batteries?

I hope I got all the information in here.
Thank you for your help.

My plan is to use 4 100-watt(20.4v 4.91a) Renogy compact panels. These will be wired with 10awg wire in series to a 15A MC4 inline fuse that is then connected to an MC4 to SAE adapter. The SAE adapter will be plugged in to an SAE plug wired to and Epever 50A controller (giving me the option to add 2 more panels in series later).

Is that model of EPEver a 100v or 150v input? If it's 100v you might not be able to add in those last 2 panels if you've got concerns about freezing temps. Just something to double check. Also, that fuse isn't necessary if you only have 1 or 2 strings.

Also, this camper came with the Juice Package with a Waree pwm charge controller and a 50watt panel on the roof. Anyone know If I can use this with those batteries or do I just disconnect this and abandon it while using the lithium batteries?
You could probably use it in parallel with your larger system, but I wouldn't bother trying to incorporate it into your MPPT and panels system. Just let it feel like part of the family. :)

As Rednecktek said, four panels on that controller is the limit. You would have to add a second controller if you wanted more panels, or rearrange the panels into a 3s2p configuration to keep the Maximum PV Input Voltage down. UPDATE: with a 150v input limit, the existing charge controller is fine.

If the PWM solar charge controller does not have a setting for LiFePO4 then I would not use it. 50 watts of PV isn't much to get excited about anyhow.

Last edited:
Is that model of EPEver a 100v or 150v input? If it's 100v you might not be able to add in those last 2 panels if you've got concerns about freezing temps. Just something to double check. Also, that fuse isn't necessary if you only have 1 or 2 strings.

You could probably use it in parallel with your larger system, but I wouldn't bother trying to incorporate it into your MPPT and panels system. Just let it feel like part of the family. :)
Thank you for your help.
I wasn't sure on the inline fuse so I put it in just in case.
The charge controller is a Tracer5415AN which has a max of solar input of 625w/12v and a max PV of 150v. So I believe I should be able to add the additional panels without going over as when in series they would be 600 watts with 122.4v when wired in series.
Thank you again for your thoughts on this.

we found that we could turn off the camper disconnect and let just the fridge run it would make it through the week most of the time….
Did you disable the onboard ’converter?’

That’s probably part of the draw that caused you issues.

FWIW I ran a 120V fridge on four 100W panels 2S2P last summer. Did fine.
I don’t have a converter but if I did I’d have uninstall.zip’d it.

Back