diy solar

diy solar

Shocking

MesaGuy

I have an new EG4 6500 and 6 new Canadian 315 watt solar panels in series mounted to Unistrut.
I noticed that I get shocked if I touch the frame and the rain drip cap. Pictures included. I also get a reading between 60 and 100 volts. I am not sure what the issue is. Anyone have any ideas?
Thank you!
IMG_5162.jpgIMG_5163.jpg

We usually recommend learning from other's mistakes, but I guess seconding them is OK too.

It is floating.
Should I connect this to the ground that goes back to the main panel or do something else?
Yup.. the darn green wire is probably the most important part of the entire system. It's the one that keeps you alive anyhow.

Connect everything to the main panel, and make sure the main is well grounded to earth.

Looke like a wood beam between the metal roof and unistrut so you are making the ground connection between the roof and the panel rack. Could be a pinched cable somewhere. Make sure cables are clipped to panels or in conduit and ground only the panels and frame to a separate ground rod close to the array and not back to the main panel.

I think the meter is reading 63Vrms AC.
You want the frames wired back to chassis of equipment including AC breaker panel. Which should be grounded.
It is probably high impedance capacitive coupling.
If it was low impedance (a short) and separately grounded, then you could have high voltage between the two ground rods.
You want both systems and the earth all at same potential.
If an AC short, it will trip breaker. If DC from PV, it will just pull voltage down but not trip anything (depending on where short is.)

I think the meter is reading 63Vrms AC.
You want the frames wired back to chassis of equipment including AC breaker panel. Which should be grounded.
It is probably high impedance capacitive coupling.
If it was low impedance (a short) and separately grounded, then you could have high voltage between the two ground rods.
You want both systems and the earth all at same potential.
If an AC short, it will trip breaker. If DC from PV, it will just pull voltage down but not trip anything (depending on where short is.)
Thanks Hedges. Bad eyesight here. Thought I saw DC voltage.

Looke like a wood beam between the metal roof and unistrut so you are making the ground connection between the roof and the panel rack. Could be a pinched cable somewhere. Make sure cables are clipped to panels or in conduit and ground only the panels and frame to a separate ground rod close to the array and not back to the main panel.
The purpose of a ground is to provide a low impedance path back to the source. A separate ground rod doesn't do that.

62V / 0.030A = 2k ohms is all we need (for you to be part of the circuit.)

Typical ground rod is 25 ohms to earth.

Back