diy solar

diy solar

Should I change my inverter precharge circuit?

It seems like anything with capacitors in it like this should be designed to limit the inrush when first powering up. Guess it costs too much and they feel it's better to just stick it on the end user to deal with.

As it is, my plan is to just hook the inverters up to a small power supply or battery charger of the correct voltage, with low amps and let it charge it's caps up from that. Presumably, this should work? The inverters capacitors won't draw more from the power supply than it's willing to supply.

I was thinking of having something like this on a switch as my "precharge resistor". I just think the little screen would be neat, show you the amps the inverter is taking while it takes it and then show you the idle draw while the inverter is doing nothing before you switch to your batteries and then turn loads back on. It's so cheap it's almost worth trying it just to see what it does.

61gqmf7+doS._AC_SL1500_.jpg
The supply would have to have some form of active current limiting. If it's a fuse then it'll just blow the fuse. The caps are a short circuit for the moment it takes for them to start to charge. A resistor and a pushbutton is the simple method. Making it foolproof requires removing the fools from the system

The supply would have to have some form of active current limiting. If it's a fuse then it'll just blow the fuse. The caps are a short circuit for the moment it takes for them to start to charge. A resistor and a pushbutton is the simple method. Making it foolproof requires removing the fools from the system
Am I misunderstanding something in regards to the caps? I know they will take current as fast as it's given to them, which, when using a battery, is potentially a problem. But, if I'm supplying it power from a power supply that limits the amperage output, the caps can't pull more from it than it's rated for, right?

Am I misunderstanding something in regards to the caps? I know they will take current as fast as it's given to them, which, when using a battery, is potentially a problem. But, if I'm supplying it power from a power supply that limits the amperage output, the caps can't pull more from it than it's rated for, right?
No, you're right about the caps. It depends on the power supply design as to how it handles current draws far beyond it's rating. Easy to test, just short the lines from the power supply and see what happens

Back