diy solar

diy solar

Should I combine my strings?

tony95

I was planning to run two 46V 10 gauge strings about 50 feet to my house. I have two 40a charge controllers. I was think about the disconnect and I guess I will have to buy two, since I can't really find cheap 4 pole disconnect boxes. Or I can combine the two strings together which means adding a combiner box instead of the second disconnect and also would probably need to go 8 gauge from that and then inside split off the 8 gauge to the charge controllers. I suppose this would give me a nice even load on the SCCs. Which option is best, I am thinking combining would be better unless I am missing something like what if one SCC is down and all the power gets delivered to one 40a charge controller, is this a problem? Thanks to all here, you have been very helpful so far.

No, you cannot have an array be shared by 2 MPPT SCCs. The MPPT functions will slam dance as they try to seek their maximum mix of voltage and current (how MPPT works).
I see, thanks. Seemed like I good idea at the time ?. Thank god for diysolarforum

Back