diy solar

diy solar

Silicone sealant

minerva

Can anybody share their experience with silicone or other types of sealants in sealing junction boxes on PV panels? ANy recommendations for an easily sourceable sealant?

I use blue RTV regularly for my junction boxes out on the ships. It holds up well against salt water spray and rough weather and doesn't seem to break down in the heat as much as clear silicone.

I use blue RTV regularly for my junction boxes out on the ships. It holds up well against salt water spray and rough weather and doesn't seem to break down in the heat as much as clear silicone.
Do you think it’s good for bedding?

Do you think it’s good for bedding?
I think it'd be pretty lumpy and uncomfortable once it cures, you'll want a memory foam topper at least. :)

It's got the same pliability as silicone and holds up better under temperature changes, so I guess it would really depend on what you're bedding in it. For sealing your PV j-boxes (I'm assuming you're talking about the ones on the back of the panels) a thin coat right around the edge should be fine.

I think it'd be pretty lumpy and uncomfortable once it cures, you'll want a memory foam topper at least. :)

It's got the same pliability as silicone and holds up better under temperature changes, so I guess it would really depend on what you're bedding in it. For sealing your PV j-boxes (I'm assuming you're talking about the ones on the back of the panels) a thin coat right around the edge should be fine.
Thanks. I need it for covering the connection inside the junction box.

Or 3M 4200 or 5200. Which might be easier to find in a small tube for a single application. Stocked at HD, Ace HW, and the like, etc.
A J-box will generally have a 'gland' type seal for wires coming in or out.

Urethane sealants form a permanent seal - the stuff is very tough.

I would avoid sealing the connections, individually.
This would make for a troubleshooting nightmare.

The acid based silicon sealer works for 40 years+ , how ever do not use on live circuits until it has cured for 24hrs. Acid conducts electricity until has cured . The only thing that it cannot handle is gasoline . It eats the bond to what ever you stuck it to.

My son with a fair amount of experience on boats recommends butyl. He says it's way better, especially where there is flexing in the joint area.

I've always used butyl tape, on metal roofing.
Never thought about other uses, but it makes sense.

Butyl is used for deck joints, like teak planking. It can be VERY slow to cure...like days. It is very much like rubber once cured. Seems like 'lifecaulk' is a butyl sealant...it's been a number of years since I built and maintained wooden boats. For anything fiberglass, 3M 5200 is hands down the standard caulk for bedding and sealing.

Hot melt is a good idea - ready to go once cooled.

Silicone is just not very strong. If it's not open to weather and protected it can serve the purpose. It can be difficult to get good adhesion with it. It is much softer than urethane caulk.

The acid based silicon sealer works for 40 years+ , how ever do not use on live circuits until it has cured for 24hrs. Acid conducts electricity until has cured . The only thing that it cannot handle is gasoline . It eats the bond to what ever you stuck it to.

There are non-corrosive silicone sealants (don't give off acetic acid) for electronics.

I looked over the selection chart, MG chemicals I think, and specified one for a product we built. Found a cheaper source (smaller tube) than DigiKey by googling.

Might have been RTV6708, not sure.

Back