diy solar

diy solar

Sitting in the "Dark" this morning. My Sol-Ark is down due to a supposed "low battery" but is not low.

just to be sure, I remembered correctly, I just called Trojan again. spoke to "James"

he says 80% DOD is safe.

11.5v per battery is acceptable without damaging the batteries.

for my 48v system he says:
says 46v is 80% DOD
48v would be about 50% DOD

I wouldn't go beyond 50%. 80% isn't instantly damaging. But, I believe it will decrease longevity.

just to be sure, I remembered correctly, I just called Trojan again. spoke to "James"

he says 80% DOD is safe.

11.5v per battery us acceptable without damaging the batteries.

says 46v us 80% DOD
48v would be about 50% DOD
Did he specifically say those voltages? Is it possible he was mistaking DoD for SoC? So 2 different people confirmed taking those FLAs down to 80% DoD regularly is fine?

according to Trojan, they say I can discharge the T-1275 FLA to 80% DOD, which they say is 46.0v

as stated above, I'm not trying to discharge to 80% DOD. having said that, by your chart it looks like I may be discharging to 93% DOD.

I also thought that 48v was 50% DOD.

I much to learn. I am trying to research and take in as much as I can, as fast as I can.
Sorry I thought you had LFP batteries.
All the things I said about Batt-% is still going to apply, keep it in 10% increments and three days for calibration.

Did he specifically say those voltages? Is it possible he was mistaking DoD for SoC? So 2 different people confirmed taking those FLAs down to 80% DoD regularly is fine?
yes and yes.

he referenced percentage and voltage.

two different guys, on 3 different occasions. first call about a 6 weeks ago second call about 4 weeks ago, then another just now.

Sorry I thought you had LFP batteries.
All the things I said about Batt-% is still going to apply, keep it in 10% increments and three days for calibration.
Sorry, I posted this to the wrong thread a few minutes ago.

I am copying and pasting it here, where it belongs, and will delete the other post.

Since you are also a sol-ark user, and more solar experienced that I, may I ask for some insight?

I am the one who started this thread. I have a question about the actual topic.

As noted in the start of thread, I had a supposed battery issue. it was brief, and resolved after an update, although I'm not sure what, if anything the update did to fix it. I think it was just a matter of me having entered conflicting battery discharge information, which I have corrected.

Now, however, about 3:20pm my SOC dropped to 99%. not a big deal, since there is a corresponding drop in PV output that would have triggered that. my question is why has it not gone back up to 100% yet? its has been about an hour and a half, of good sun since the drop. it has always gone back up to 100% when it has experienced a late-day drop in voltage, before.

is this part of the unit re-learning my battery specs because of the input changes and/or update?

for full info:
actual voltage since the drop is 53.5v
Float is set to 54v
absorption is set to 59.3
Equalize is set to 63v

the float and absorption settings are exactly what is specified in the trojan manual.
the equalize is set as high as sol-ark allowed, but the trojan manual actually wanted it set at 64.8

photo of PV Pro graph screen attached... for... reasons?

Screenshot_20220423-171518_PV Pro.jpg

And now, and edit, and update:

after writing the first part of this comment, my HVAC fan kicked on, which caused a corresponding jump in PV output. this seems to have brought the bank back up to 100%

I am still curious about this question, however.

This may all just be paranoia, but since a battery issue occurred yesterday, and then last night, was the lowest my battery bank has ever been. it dropped to 47.0v which was 63% at least that is what the Sol-Ark registered it as. I hope this was just because I accidentally left the garage light on all night.

either way... with two unusual occurrences back to back in 36 hours, I'm a little paranoid.

EDIT:
Now, its' back to 100%. apparently it jumped back up, after the HVAC motor kicked on, causing an overall ramp in PV input to compensate,

Im sure I'm just paranoid, but as a newbie, with $kin in the game, I worry easily.

a second photo from PV Pro to illustrate the recovery too 100%

tempFileForShare_20220423-173734.jpg

Back