diy solar

diy solar

Small $100 "gateway drug" Hobby solar system

The battery is so small to power a 150 W inverter. It runs, but the battery died fast. Use at minimum a 28 Ah battery, it provides 336 Wh.
Sadly, you're right @Ely the battery is just not up to the job of powering the inverter and the AC lights. Oh well, lesson learned - on to Plan B - DC lights thus eliminating the pesky inverter.
I will now power 1 or 2 5watt LED yard spotlights directly from the Load terminals of the SCC. This will also now allow me to use the after-dark light timer functions built into the SCC, whereas before I was using an AC after sunset light timer which was probably also contributing to the load.
20200130_190454.jpg
I plan to use a roll of speaker wire that I had. It's light but should be able to handle these small LED's.

True, most Christmas lights are LED and may only require 12v. Take your meter and check one of the bulb sockets, you may find you can use straight 12v DC once the transformer is removed
Thanks for the suggestion @emt27 but there is no transformer. These are not the newest - at least 5 years old.

And besides I don't want to cut them so I'll just use a different 12vdc 5w yard spotlight instead (installed today) Hope it works!

It works!
20200201_173258.jpg

Last edited:
Sun! Finally!
We're getting some sun today but it's cold out -18C (0F)

20200208_124349.jpg20200208_124338.jpg

The battery seems to be holding at my new Float voltage setting of 14.5v, but some of the segments on the little voltmeter aren't too happy about the cold!

Live and Learn!
Small system has lots of juice for 2 x 5W DC spotlights, but not enough for the inverter and 13W AC lights.
Who knew? That's the kind of thing I was hoping to learn from this experiment.
20200216_180038.jpg
Edit: I'm only running the lights for 1hr per night now but I feel I could easily increase it to 2hr or more, depending on the weather forecast.

Last edited:
Finaly the result: the best is to take a 20 Ah battery (240 Wh), a 100 watt panel and a good controller. So you can run this setup for many years without maintenance. Grab $230 for all (included good cables) and it runs fine without problems.

100 bucks is not enough for that.
@Ely can you give me some detail about the $230 kit you was referring to ?
would be awesome.
Thanks

The speaker wire insulation will not stand up to to the sun UV rays. In the summer replace with landscape light wire.
Thanks for the suggestion. It's all just temporary but, you're right, I'll have to keep an eye on the wiring this summer when I'm gardening.

Update - New Voltmeter - I've added a new Voltmeter (blue) to track the PV voltage coming in. So, now using 3 different voltmeters, I am able to
track:
  • voltage from the PV panels (blue)
  • voltage of the Battery (red)
  • and, at night, voltage going to my landscape lights on Load. For this I use a temporary multimeter with Bluetooth so I can monitor it indoors after dark. For my particular load of 10w lights I'm seeing a constant voltage drop around 200 - 300mv per hour. So that lets me estimate how many hours I'm going to get before Low Voltage Cutoff.
Yes, I know I would be better off tracking Amps and Watts, but voltmeters were easy to come by and install and at least Volts tells me something and helps me visualize what's flowing where.

20200502_083555.jpg

Last edited:
Update 2 - New (Summer) Panel Angle
It's maybe a little early in the year, but I've raised the angle on my panels to their summer position. For my latitude, I read somewhere that the ideal angles for my particular location (yes, I do actually live at 45 North) are as follows:
  • for Summer - 68 deg from vertical, or 22 deg from horiz
  • for Spring/Fall - 45 deg from vert or horiz
  • for Winter - 22 deg from vertical or 68 deg from horiz
With my little A-frame man cave (well, OK, it looks like my wife's drying rack) I only have 2 or 3 discrete positions to choose from and this is as close as I could get for now. Later in the summer I can go up another notch.

20200502_091624.jpg

Last edited:
Update 3 - Try lights in series
I've been noticing for months that my 5W dc yard spotlights were too bright and wishing I had gone for something smaller. So tonight I got the bright idea of putting them in series instead of parallel. This means they will only get 6v instead of the 12v they were rated at. Would they still work?
Apparently yes - see for yourself!
20200503_211946.jpg
They work - and they are still plenty bright!

That is just awesome that you are having fun with your system. Big or small it still amazes me how you get power from the sunshine. I have been keeping busy as well with my 50 watt rig keeping my battery pack charged. I found I could run my bubbling rock(water feature) in my backyard. Just because I have been home trying to keep busy I found it will run for 6-7 hours on my small portable system.

That is just awesome that you are having fun with your system. Big or small it still amazes me how you get power from the sunshine. I have been keeping busy as well with my 50 watt rig keeping my battery pack charged. I found I could run my bubbling rock(water feature) in my backyard. Just because I have been home trying to keep busy I found it will run for 6-7 hours on my small portable system.
I've been thinking about a solar water feature too. Do you have a 12v pump?
Any pix?

The "gateway drug" issue is quite real and potent. Your setup is basically the same simplicity as mine was. I don't want to think about what I'm putting into "Version III" at the moment. :D

Update: Winter 20/21
Continued the fun this past winter with just the 25w panel wired down to the basement workbench (since battery was dead and I gave away the cheap PWM controller to a friend that needed it for his boat battery) With no battery, I can play with the direct 12v power on sunny days:
  • I'm able to power the 2 5w spotlights, even when their is no direct sun, especially now that the sun is getting higher and stronger and the snow is melting.
  • adding other 12v devices, and meters because I have them
  • still not enough power for the 150w inverter - the fan comes on and it will power USB devices but not 110v
  • play with a "wall wart" 12v power supply when there's not enough sun

All I need now is some sun!
That last statement and your name let me think that you might be deceived with a small panel.
If you are blessed with tons of sun, a 25W panel will be fine to tinker around.
If you live in a frequently cloudy region, expect to harvest +- nothing, just enough to power the SCC and maintain a battery charge at float.
Where do you live?

P.S. forget the inverter, excepted on very sunny days.

That last statement and your name let me think that you might be deceived with a small panel.
If you are blessed with tons of sun, a 25W panel will be fine to tinker around.
If you live in a frequently cloudy region, expect to harvest +- nothing, just enough to power the SCC and maintain a battery charge at float.
Where do you live?

P.S. forget the inverter, excepted on very sunny days.
Yes, that would be a problem if I was in the PNW.
But I'm actually in eastern canada and it's usually pretty sunny here.

I think what killed my little battery last year was a series of very cold overcast days with possibly some snow on the panel - although I was usually pretty good about going out and cleaning it off.
That plus I was just learning and I let my lead-acid battery get too low for too long. (rookie mistake!)
I realized that eventually and brought it indoors and put it on a charger to bring it up again but was too late by then.
Also, I was still figuring out the proper settings on my SCC and how to set it.

For anyone thinking about getting into Solar I'd suggest they start small like I did, and get some "hands-on" experience with cheap stuff before they spend the big bucks. Easy for me, I know, I'm retired so I have lots of time to play with it. Plus I live in a city so I don't really need it!

Pretty cool learner setup and some comments. (Will somebody please stop me from posting walls of text!)

Inverter - I'm not entirely sure you are actually turning the inverter itself OFF after you are done with it. Idle current draw when not in use can be pretty high.

Solar panel - appears to be mono / polycrystalline. Be sure shadows from the dish-rack don't cross it, especially late afternoon where shadows can get long and have great reach. Heh, picky, but with only a 7ah battery - maybe up that to a 30 to 40 watt panel. Most conventional agm's are rated for 0.25 to 0.3C, sooo to take advantage of that (7ah * 0.3 = 2.1A max charge rate) .. Let's look at a 40w panel (40w / 18ocv = 2.22a).

Close enough for government work with a 40w panel. Especially with variable solar. We want to get in as much as we can and get to float as fast as we can with agm's because of their built-in disadvantage:

AGM: The built in disadvantage to AGM's whether 7ah or 700ah is when using them daily with solar, is that they typically never actually complete the charge. That is, the rules of phsics on them don't allow for that last 1% to get charged in a daily routine via solar, where the photons stop flowing from the sun. :)

Here's the deal: It takes at least 8-12 hours AFTER A FULL CV/ABSORB (like 14.6v) with an elevated float-charge at 13.6v to truly complete the process! After that, sure, you can drop to 13.2, but you can't start out that low. If you don't, you walk them down in capacity cycle by cycle as that last 1% hard-sulphates. You simply don't have enough time with agm's and solar to do it properly like you would on an ac-charger.

So what to do for daily cyclic applications? A few different options:
1) Set ALL your setpoints to 14.6 to 14.7. Bulk, absorb, float - all of it. Sun going down protects from damage.

2) If forced to drop to float by the SCC timer, raise your float to 13.6 at least. 13.7 to 13.8 better. Sun going down protects from damage.

3) If you can't do either, then at least once a month or say bi-weekly, give the batteries a day off to do nothing but float while you watch and get frustrated watching only 0.1a flow in. :) It needs it.

HOT ROD IT!
Now that you know how to take care of an agm generically, let's go PURE-LEAD! Like an Odyssey agm! Look at how fast you can charge those puppies because they are pure-lead! So that means you can OVER-PANEL! And charge in 2 hours. Might be important in winter if that's all the insolation you got! Do it right and put a temperature-compensation probe on the battery terminal itself, not just rely on an SCC's ambient sensor. In your cramped case it might not matter, but why not do it right?

BUT, very expensive to get this wrong! Either by underestimating your true capacity needs, or by not charging them properly so they sulfate cycle by cycle!

The more modern answer would be to go LFP or LiFeP04! Same great taste as pure-lead agm's, but without all the calories! :) That's how I got hooked on LFP personally - jumping from hammering pure-leads to LFP where lead-acid maintenance issues dropped by the wayside!

But please, put a fuse or something right next to the +positive terminal, even at this level no matter if you are using conventional agm, pure-lead agm's, or LFP.

Anyway, sorry for the wall of text, but I recognize someone who can learn and enjoy even on this small scale!

Last edited:
Back