diy solar

diy solar

Small solar system

It would still be helpful to know the voltages, especially the charge voltage. How much you are pulling out of it should not affect the boiling risk.

One thought about that charge controller. If you connect the solar panels before the battery (or the battery is disconnected, even momentarily) it will switch to 24v charging mode. If that was the case, then charging at 24v would certainly boil your batteries.... not sure at what level but probably a volt or two above 14v.

Otherwise without any voltage info, i should not even guess what is happening.

How do I go about figuring out the charging voltage?

the panel and the cc haven’t been disconnected. I’ve been reading ther under load the battery acid expands and could leak if it is too full. I should open the lids on top and take a look at it tomorrow.

my output voltage is 17.1 from my solar panel website.

How do I go about figuring out the charging voltage?
Thats a good question. I think those blue SCC's show the battery voltage with the charge being applied so I would watch that number. And if/when it gets above 14v, i'd be concerned. I think mine cut off in the 13.x's.

the panel and the cc haven’t been disconnected
I was wondering about the SCC and the battery. THAT is what needs to be connected FIRST because the SCC determines the charge voltage based on the battery voltage it detects.

I've been charging with a ~30v panel and had the battery accidentally disconnect momentarily. The SCC, with only a 30v panel connected, and its power source (the battery) disconnected, it switched to 24v mode based on the panel voltage (largely speculation). When i reconnected the battery, it continued to charge in 24v mode. I was fortunate to catch it watching the SCC displayed voltage before it got too high as it would have certainly cooked the 12v battery.

If it’s in float mode I think it’s around 14.2 but under load it goes down to 13v mostly down to 12.something if I’m using a lot of stuff in the shed.

your very lucky u caught that mistake before it cooked your battery, I haven’t touched my cc and battery since I hooked everything up.

Back