diy solar

diy solar

So I know it is probably stupid, but I have to ask this question

jfrasier71

So, you know how you can plug your RV into a regular outlet (using an adapter) for power and charging. My question is this, in an emergency, could you use the 115v plug adapter to plug into your inverter to charge your battery? Now lets assume that the fridge, and all high power items are off. Just to charge the battery? Could that actually work as a "go around" in an extreme situation? I am saying like your truck is dead, your generator is busted and you are middle of nowhere situation btw.

At the moment I actually still have the original deep cell hooked to the overall electrical system, I have my solar set up and my lifep04s just for the items I want to power such as my computer, cellular modem, and some 12v accents in my bedroom/office. Eventually, I want to expand my system to cover the entire RV, but that is after I invest in more batteries, and panels.

This question has been rumbling in my mind forever now, I have looked online and haven't really found an answer for it. I have also seen that you can actually hook up a mini duct ac to solar, so that has made me wonder even more about this.

If starting battery is dead and you have a separate house battery, yes you could recharge the starting battery and then drive without an alternator/generator.

But if you mean, can you use your shore-power plug to recharge the house battery from an inverter powered by the house battery, no. That would be a perpetual motion machine.

If starting battery is dead and you have a separate house battery, yes you could recharge the starting battery and then drive without an alternator/generator.

But if you mean, can you use your shore-power plug to recharge the house battery from an inverter powered by the house battery, no. That would be a perpetual motion machine.
No. My RV has a standard deep cell battery like others. I installed a separate solar system with its own lithium 24v/100aH battery. It goes to a 24v 1300/3000 watt inverter. This is used to maintain my computer, cell modem and a couple 12v items in my bedroom only. So they are 2 different systems. My question was about plugging in the shore power to the solar systems inverter to charge the RV battery without being connected to the vehicle, use of a generator etc in an emergency situation.

No. My RV has a standard deep cell battery like others. I installed a separate solar system with its own lithium 24v/100aH battery. It goes to a 24v 1300/3000 watt inverter. This is used to maintain my computer, cell modem and a couple 12v items in my bedroom only. So they are 2 different systems. My question was about plugging in the shore power to the solar systems inverter to charge the RV battery without being connected to the vehicle, use of a generator etc in an emergency situation.
Yes

I'm a little confused because the scenario was busted generator and in the middle of nowhere. But, if you had some access to a 120/240v utility, you would need a inverter/charger, or AIO that had AC input that accepted the voltage you wanted to plug into. 120/240. If you don't have an inverter/charger or AIO that accepts utility charging, you could use an external charger plugged into shore power.

Another option is to just run a jumper cable from the house battery to the starter battery wiring. I've done that a few times and "jump started" myself in the middle of nowhere before I got the van's wiring sorted out and the isolator working properly.

24V jump start! Just like the tow trucks do it!
(my K2500 diesel has a warning sticker not to.)

This might be a time to bypass (24V) BMS and tap a 12V set of cells. Worry about rebalancing later.

But I thought his scenario was engine alternator busted. I've been in that situation, and with fully charged battery was able to make it home from Tahoe, 200 miles.

24V jump start! Just like the tow trucks do it!
(my K2500 diesel has a warning sticker not to.)

This might be a time to bypass (24V) BMS and tap a 12V set of cells. Worry about rebalancing later.

But I thought his scenario was engine alternator busted. I've been in that situation, and with fully charged battery was able to make it home from Tahoe, 200 miles.
That's possible in daylight.
Nighttime with headlights........ 5 miles. lol

I am saying like your truck is dead, your generator is busted and you are middle of nowhere situation btw.
My question was about plugging in the shore power to the solar systems inverter to charge the RV battery without being connected to the vehicle, use of a generator etc in an emergency situation.
But I thought his scenario was engine alternator busted

I don't know what the scenario is anymore. o_O
Now that I read through it again, I'm still confused, but I think shore power is used loosely as the AC plug in for the RV original 12V system. Wanting to plug Into the new 24V. He has other 12V accessories already from the 24V, so must have a step down converter already I guess. Maybe I'm getting confused because I'm not sure if this is a towed RV or a motorhome type thing. The dead truck is getting me maybe.

My question was about plugging in the shore power to the solar systems inverter to charge the RV battery without being connected to the vehicle, use of a generator etc in an emergency situation.

It already automagically works that way.

When plugged into shore power the converter built into RVs provides a set DC voltage (let's stipulate 13.6v) to the interior of the RV, including the battery bank. Some converters have "smart" staged charging, and the full name of the converter is converter/charger.

There are exceptions and details involved that will dictate how well the bank gets charged but that's the overall idea. You might want to look at the RVs manual for specifics.

Last edited:
Back