diy solar

diy solar

Sofar ME3000sp running offgrid

Robin G

Hi. I am new to this forum,so please excuse.
Is it possible to run a sofar me3000sp to charge the batteries offgrid,ie say from generator or other source of stable power (disconnected from grid)The idea is to be able to recharge the lithium batteries only. Many thanks in advance

This appears to be a battery-based inverter, so I'm not really sure I understand the question you are asking? Are you talking about additional batteries that are separate from the batteries powering the unit? It does not appear to have an ACin terminals for a generator hookup?

we need more info about your inverter. To charge batteries through your inverter the inverter must be an inverter/charger. If it is not then you will need a separate charger. I'm guessing you already have solar panels to charge your batteries, is that correct?

The Sofar ME3000sp is a kind of inverter charger, it is connected to the grid and 2 ct transformers measure the current at the meter point,if we have excess power it pushes that into the lithium batteries,if we are drawing from the grid, the inverter pulls power from the batteries so that it reduces power drawer from the grid. In the event of a power cut it switches into eps state and will power sockets etc not connected to the grid.It runs 7kw pylon lithium batteries. I also have a sofar and a solis inverters which are connected to 3kw array of panels.
My problem is this; when the grid power goes down,the 2 inverters shut down (obvious reasons),the grid side of the sofar me3000sp shuts down as well going into eps state. I am wondering if it is poss to disconnect the grid line to the sofar me3000 and connect it to stable power supply ie generator which would power up the sofar and recharge the batteries (being that the inverters have shut down).
Another way I think I could do it which would cost is to do away with the 2 inverters and the sofar and get a hybrid inverter charger which I THINK would solve the problem,but at great expense, prob a Sofar HYD range of inverters, a lot of others seem are either too expensive or will not accept pylon lithium batteries. Or another way could be to develop my own "grid" without destroying the inverters I have (rising voltage), any views on that one?. Just to note excess power at the moment is diverted into water heating (after batteries have been charged),when that is all satisfied it is lost to the grid. The sofar me3000sp is NOT linked to the solar panels in any way, only via the grid.

The Sofar ME3000sp is a kind of inverter charger, it is connected to the grid and 2 ct transformers measure the current at the meter point,if we have excess power it pushes that into the lithium batteries,if we are drawing from the grid, the inverter pulls power from the batteries so that it reduces power drawer from the grid. In the event of a power cut it switches into eps state and will power sockets etc not connected to the grid.It runs 7kw pylon lithium batteries. I also have a sofar and a solis inverters which are connected to 3kw array of panels.
My problem is this; when the grid power goes down,the 2 inverters shut down (obvious reasons),the grid side of the sofar me3000sp shuts down as well going into eps state. I am wondering if it is poss to disconnect the grid line to the sofar me3000 and connect it to stable power supply ie generator which would power up the sofar and recharge the batteries (being that the inverters have shut down).
Another way I think I could do it which would cost is to do away with the 2 inverters and the sofar and get a hybrid inverter charger which I THINK would solve the problem,but at great expense, prob a Sofar HYD range of inverters, a lot of others seem are either too expensive or will not accept pylon lithium batteries. Or another way could be to develop my own "grid" without destroying the inverters I have (rising voltage), any views on that one?. Just to note excess power at the moment is diverted into water heating (after batteries have been charged),when that is all satisfied it is lost to the grid. The sofar me3000sp is NOT linked to the solar panels in any way, only via the grid.
Robin, I have a similar situation in that i have just bought three u3000 with a me300sp and i want to use in a motorhome garage with no supply just panels to provide a stable mains supply but now thinking the me300sp is no good for this i was wondering maybe i should just get a muliplus or such

Hi Royston. I researched it all and took a lot of advise and decided to go for a new solis hybrid inverter,but I have mains power as well,it is working well. Your situation is different as you have no grid power, so you only need a off grid inverter/charger,the ME3000sp will be useless as it is not a panel inverter,it is only storage inverter. Trouble is double check what you think might be useful, a lot of these off grid inverters will not match up with pylontec batteries. Have a look at Vitron range of inverters or Epever a chinese one (double check suitability with pylon,they say they will work but I have heard different. I do not know where in the world you are but if in uk like me have a look at Bimble Solar,very helpful. Sorry cant be of any more help, but if you have an idea,let me know and will try to advise.

Hi Royston. I researched it all and took a lot of advise and decided to go for a new solis hybrid inverter,but I have mains power as well,it is working well. Your situation is different as you have no grid power, so you only need a off grid inverter/charger,the ME3000sp will be useless as it is not a panel inverter,it is only storage inverter. Trouble is double check what you think might be useful, a lot of these off grid inverters will not match up with pylontec batteries. Have a look at Vitron range of inverters or Epever a chinese one (double check suitability with pylon,they say they will work but I have heard different. I do not know where in the world you are but if in uk like me have a look at Bimble Solar,very helpful. Sorry cant be of any more help, but if you have an idea,let me know and will try to advise.
I am in Suffolk, UK. I know bimble well, I am considering the victron range, i will probably upgrade the kit inside the motorhome to victron also.

Hi Royston. Victron have a good reputation, not the cheapest but peace of mind, I was considering them but went for the solis as it met my needs. Have a word with James at Bimble but treble check that it meets all your needs esp the ways it can charge the batteries ie solar panels,generator and (yes I know) grid, poss wind?. As far as your Sofar me3000sp, you should get what you paid for it as in very short supply.

Back