diy solar

diy solar

SOK 48V100 losing AH capacity

alsatvs

I have a SOK 48V100 battery with 200 cycles on it that has lost 3.5AH capacity.I noticed it was losing capacity at about 150cycles.I noticed that the battery does not balance properly.It tries to balance itself at the upper voltage like between 57 to 57.6 volts but then it reaches 100% capacity and stops charging and then discharges itself to around 54V all by itself no load on it.Anybody have this problem?

Last edited:
If you're talking about the SOK 48v server rack battery, on their BMS desktop monitoring software, it will indicate 56v (3.5v/cell) as "fully" charged and show over voltage at 57.6v (3.6v/cell).

Hi Iam either setting my DEYE inverter to charge voltage 57.6V and float voltage to 55.2V like SOK tells you to in the manual or Iam communicating battery to inverter which then the BMS tells the inverter to do that anyway..I will setup my laptop and see what is going on in the PC software.I do know the battery should not self discharge to 54V it should stay at the fully charged voltage SOK has programmed it to until the battery is asked to power a load

Last edited:
I would like people who own a SOK 48v100 server rack battery to check their FCC and compare it to the capacity stated on the quality control sheet that came with the battery brand new.Is it still the same or are you losing capacity and how many cycles are on it.Thank you very much

The batteries typically start around 106ah. If you don't trust the reading, you can get it to re-measure by doing a cycle from 100% (essentially 57.6v) and then drain until the battery reaches UVP, at which point you will want to recharge to 100% again. This gives it a chance to re-measure the capacity and update its reading if needed.

The batteries typically start around 106ah. If you don't trust the reading, you can get it to re-measure by doing a cycle from 100% (essentially 57.6v) and then drain until the battery reaches UVP, at which point you will want to recharge to 100% again. This gives it a chance to re-measure the capacity and update its reading if needed.
Also have similar question. I am trying your reset. However my battery is only 98Ah and IIRC never was 100Ah from day one. Have 4 SOK SK48V100 The battery in question BMS indicates it has more cycles, more OVP and more UVP than the other 3.... the other 3 batteries are still at 101,106 and 106.. after 63-67 cycles. The battery in question shows 71 cycles. Is this to be expected ?

Last edited:
Hi you need to watch your problematic battery charge up.Yes it takes time and its a thankless job.Like HighTechLab says you need to charge up to 57.6V but no was paying attention when I said my battery discharges itself down to 54V with no load ie I never get a fully charged battery at 57.6V! Now I watched it charge up on my laptop and here is a picture.Its like I have 2 mismatched banks of cells.The battery will not balance itself because the internal resistance of cells 1 to 8 are not matched to cells 9 to 16.My battery never should have left the factory quality control was absent that day.AND if I charge the battery at 45A this condition is much worse There will be many OVP at that amperage.but this only happens on a very sunny day.This is what will happen the battery will continue to lose capacity.In fact this last charging it discharged down to 53.8V and the capacity will continue to drop.The SOH of the battery will diminish.So if you get offered a battery with around 100AH capacity when new you MAY be getting a problematic battery.Of course if we got to pick a battery we would all pick like HighTechLab says typically start at 106ah because those batteries have a nice set of matched cells

Attachments

• DSC07623.JPG
    DSC07623.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
If you found what I just said confusing look at it this way IF I was to do a capacity test now My battery would start the test at 53.8V and discharge down to 45V or whatever the cutoff voltage is.NOT A PRETTY SIGHT and NOT A GOOD BATTERY

If you found what I just said confusing look at it this way IF I was to do a capacity test now My battery would start the test at 53.8V and discharge down to 45V or whatever the cutoff voltage is.NOT A PRETTY SIGHT and NOT A GOOD BATTERY
I may be mistaken, but I think you are in Europe, right? I'm trying to figure out your place of purchase so the appropriate team can get you help.

Last edited:
Also have similar question. I am trying your reset. However my battery is only 98Ah and IIRC never was 100Ah from day one. Have 4 SOK SK48V100 The battery in question BMS indicates it has more cycles, more OVP and more UVP than the other 3.... the other 3 batteries are still at 101,106 and 106.. after 63-67 cycles. The battery in question shows 71 cycles. Is this to be expected ?
Hi unfortunately my advice for a new 98AH battery is to return it immediately. like hightechlab says they are typically 106AH and your battery and mine probably have a bunch of 106AH(approximately) cells in them they are just not working together as a team to give a total capacity of 106AH approximately at 57.6V

Last edited:
After 200 cycles if all I had lost was 3.5AH I would be thrilled. As you get further into the cycles they will loose less and less and stabilize
Hi Alkaline.I hope you dont mind but I took the liberty to read a bunch of your comments and discussions on the DIY forum.Iam sure you realize this is not a discussion about people buying cells from alibaba and what AH did they get out of this cell or that cell and what AH did they get out the battery they made or which cells are better or which supplier to buy from.This is about a battery that was bought from a reputable company ITs a SOK 48V100 server rack battery that started out as a bunch of Ganfeng 100AH cells where technicians tested all the NEW Grade A cells with nice original QR codes and no bloating.They put together 16 cells as a set to make THIS ONE BATTERY and then tested it for its capacity and put this capacity on a quality control sheet that came with the battery.and they guaranteed it and gave it a 10yr warranty.Yes it does lose capacity as it ages over 1000's of cycles,BUT IT DOES NOT LOSE 3.9AH IN 200 CYCLES UNLESS SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE BATTERY.I would be willing to bet 100AH(LOL) that the majority of SOK 48V100 owners have a battery that not only works excellent but still has the stated capacity on its quality control sheet after a lot more than 200 cycles.Further more IT IS OBVIOUS IN THIS DISCUSSION THAT MY BATTERY HAS A PROBLEM AND IF IT BALANCED THE CELLS AS IT CHARGED TO 57.6V INSTEAD OF GOING INTO OVP AND DISCHARGING ITSELF TO 53.8V IT WOULD EASILY GET THOSE 3.9AH BACK. In fact, if the technicians who tested my battery did not miss that there was a problem with it and instead installed a bank of cells 1 to 8 that matched the bank of cells 9 to 16 I would probably have a typical 106AH battery and we would not be having this discussion.THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT BUT IT DOES NOT APPLY HERE and I HOPE YOU ARE THRILLED WITH MY RESPONCE

@alsatvs I have very close connections with all SOK distributors and helped design the battery. Please let me know where you are located in the world - where did you buy your batteries? I will do my best to get you help on this but need to get the appropriate people involved in your region for this cell balance issue. Thanks!

P.S. for the rest of this thread, cyclic testing data of this battery and capacity loss vs cycle count

A few things here:
1) Temps DO AFFECT battery charge & retention. Stats are based on Optimal Temps being 25C/77F, even a 5 degree drop will affect the batteries slightly.
2) LFP like ALL Battery chemistries has an Allowable & Working Votage ranges. LFP Allowable is 2.500 -> 3.650 but the WORKING Range is from 3.000-3.400 Volts per cell.
3) The LFP Chemistry ALWAYS SETTLES post charge, this is normal & expected. It is also relative to the depth of charge saturation.
Charge Saturation is when a battery packs reaches EndAmps, then it is considered full. As resistance increases due to charge, the amps taken reduces till EndAmps is reached, at which point charge should transition to Float to complete the soft top-off.
4) Lastly ! When charging LFP over 3.425Volts per cell, this is where they will deviate and become unbalanced. Continually pushing cells over that threshold is not doing ANY good whatsoever and depending on the Balancing Systems can in fact be detrimental.

A Standard "48V" LFP charging profile which does not push the cells out to the edges is below.
Bulk & Absorb: 55.2V for (absorb timer 45 minutes) (3.45vpc) (some call this boost)
Equalize: OFF
Float: 55.0V (3.437vpc)
MIn Volts: 42.4V (2.650vpc)
Max Volts: 28.6 (3.575vpc)
Rebulk Voltage: 57.2V (3.200vpc)
End Amps/TailCurrent: 5.0A

quick-voltage-chart-lfp-jpg.150247

BTW: When Battery Manufacturers test & certify the AH Capacity rating of the cells, this is done within the WORKING VOLTAGE RANGE. That is the 3.000-3.400 range @ 25C Temp that delivers the rated AH !

@alsatvs I have very close connections with all SOK distributors and helped design the battery. Please let me know where you are located in the world - where did you buy your batteries? I will do my best to get you help on this but need to get the appropriate people involved in your region for this cell balance issue. Thanks!

P.S. for the rest of this thread, cyclic testing data of this battery and capacity loss vs cycle count
I have been reassured by the supplier that SOK is working on this and Iam sure that I will be fully compensated for this battery.After all this is good business for SOK to show that they back their warranty and that this only happens to a small % of their total output,kind of like once in a while a bad battery can escape their factory and not a systemic problem.

A few things here:
1) Temps DO AFFECT battery charge & retention. Stats are based on Optimal Temps being 25C/77F, even a 5 degree drop will affect the batteries slightly.
2) LFP like ALL Battery chemistries has an Allowable & Working Votage ranges. LFP Allowable is 2.500 -> 3.650 but the WORKING Range is from 3.000-3.400 Volts per cell.
3) The LFP Chemistry ALWAYS SETTLES post charge, this is normal & expected. It is also relative to the depth of charge saturation.
Charge Saturation is when a battery packs reaches EndAmps, then it is considered full. As resistance increases due to charge, the amps taken reduces till EndAmps is reached, at which point charge should transition to Float to complete the soft top-off.
4) Lastly ! When charging LFP over 3.425Volts per cell, this is where they will deviate and become unbalanced. Continually pushing cells over that threshold is not doing ANY good whatsoever and depending on the Balancing Systems can in fact be detrimental.

A Standard "48V" LFP charging profile which does not push the cells out to the edges is below.
Bulk & Absorb: 55.2V for (absorb timer 45 minutes) (3.45vpc) (some call this boost)
Equalize: OFF
Float: 55.0V (3.437vpc)
MIn Volts: 42.4V (2.650vpc)
Max Volts: 28.6 (3.575vpc)
Rebulk Voltage: 57.2V (3.200vpc)
End Amps/TailCurrent: 5.0A

quick-voltage-chart-lfp-jpg.150247

BTW: When Battery Manufacturers test & certify the AH Capacity rating of the cells, this is done within the WORKING VOLTAGE RANGE. That is the 3.000-3.400 range @ 25C Temp that delivers the rated AH !
Nice response.I dont like discharging my batteries more than 50% maybe 60% because as you know they will last longer.I also included a picture in this discussion of my battery charging up and Iam sure (I hope) you looked at it and can clearly(ok its a crappy picture but then I have to do this watch the battery charge up again and Iam sick of that,I dont use battery anymore it can sit at 55% for awhile) see cell #3 is at 3700mv and yes this cell is now damaged I know and its probably not the only one that went to 3700mv.I need to remind people here that the warranty is invalid if you change any parameters from the factory settings.YES I disagree with them on their settings and I am sure SOK will eventually get around to charging to 56V and 3500mv max per cell.AND I THINK YOU ALSO KNOW THAT THE BMS IS DOING THIS NOT ME.YES so telling us this is not helping me you should explain your chart to SOK because my problem is not of my doing and you now know I am not allowed to change BMS parameters.Thanks for your response

You are controlling the CHARGING and therefore you can set your charging parameters.
That NONSENSE about 50% discharge limit, that is LEAD ACID BATTERY related and NOT Lithium Chemistries. LFP is absolutely perfectly safe to use 100% of it with absolutely NO DEGREDATION.

I've been at this for years, built, assembled & delivered a LOT of battery systems and installed some pretty wild stuff over the years. I never ever promo my business or my doings on here, I am busy enough and don't need the hassle BUT I still come here to help when possible.

Change your settings on the Charger Subsystems (SCC, Inverter/Charger or AIO) and as long as you stay within the Allowable Range you will cause no harm but if you work with respectable Working Range you will have few if any issues. I've contributed to what I can in this thread, Have a Great Day.,,

I have been reassured by the supplier that SOK is working on this and Iam sure that I will be fully compensated for this battery.After all this is good business for SOK to show that they back their warranty and that this only happens to a small % of their total output,kind of like once in a while a bad battery can escape their factory and not a systemic problem.
Oh and since you helped design it its time you gave a real hard look at your BMS parameters and change them start with 56V and 3500mv per cell max thats where you slam on the breaks your settings leave us slamming on the breaks when its toooooooo laaaaate and now my battery which I payed 3070 dollars for has damaged cells.Thanks

While I don't agree with the 3.7v disconnect the SOK does, it's not causing crazy irreparable damage immediately. Especially if you are charging at 100a and it hits 3.7v. When that happens, I bet it's back to 3.5v in a matter of seconds, and settles below 3.4v in a few minutes.

If the battery is short 3.5ah, and is out of balance, I can't imagine calling it garbage and saying that QC was gone that day and it shouldn't have been sent out. Balance the damn battery and use it.

Back