diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 12k question

Solar Newbee

I'm assisting a friend to install a Sol-Ark 12k inverter. It states on the sticker on the side of the unit not to ground PV+ or PV-, what does that mean?
1695833119165.jpeg

don't connect the positive or negative wires of the PV circuits to ground any where in the system. This was common in older pv systems, but not any more. You will still need to run a separate ground wire(equipment grounding conductor) with the PV circuits, and bond panels, mounts, conduit and other metal to ground.

Last edited:
Grounding is a confusing issue. What really helped me was understanding there are 2 types of ground and unfortunately all too often people simply say Ground but should qualify with "System" ground or "Equipment" ground.

System refers to the active current path of the electronic, electric and wiring portion of the devices. So PV+ & PV- as well as the internal electronics of the inverter or charge controller are "System" components. Since neither PV wire is supposed to be grounded this is sometimes referred to as an "Ungrounded System". However, the equipment ground is still required by code and safety. see below.

Equipment refers to the metalic conduit, metal chassis & enclosures, PV frames & mounting rails etc of the devices. These are not part of the active electronic or electric circuit, they simply protect the internal components and provide a means of mounting components. In a stationary system these components are connected to Earth Ground.

In a mobile system ground has an entirely different meaning, generally referring to the Negative side of the circuits and wiring. By convention this is considered the 0 potential side and all the voltage in the system is associated with the positive side of the circuit. Since most mobile systems are on vehicles with rubber tires there most certainly is no Earth Ground to speak of.

Since most mobile systems are on vehicles with rubber tires there most certainly is no Earth Ground to speak of.
I know they started putting carbon into tires way back in the day so that fuel tanker trucks didn't have to drag chains to dissipate static electricity. Funny how this does not create a sufficient pathway to ground though.

Back