diy solar

diy solar

Sol Ark 15k clicking to start genset, but genset doesn't start without GEN FORCE

JamesB

I have my Generac Genset hooked up to my Sol-ark 15k using a 2 wire start. I wired my T1 wires to a 240 fused breaker and the N1 to a 120v breaker both in the load panel. The inverter starts and exercises the genset as expected. It also is able to start the generator whenever I click the GEN FORCE check box in the charge settings. However, if I want the generator start at a certain percentage, when the batteries drop to that point, I can hear the inverter clicking (on/off?) trying to start the generator. Every once in awhile I also see the signal on being displayed on the panel, but it is for a brief moment. To me, it's almost as if the inverter isn't send the signal long enough to power it on.

Has anywhere experienced this before?

You have to enable TOU, have the charge box checked in the TOU time slot, and have Gen charge checked. You may want to search the forum for other post related to that generator starting problem. Sol-Ark is adding additional generator programming but it will not be available for several months.

You have to enable TOU, have the charge box checked in the TOU time slot, and have Gen charge checked. You may want to search the forum for other post related to that generator starting problem. Sol-Ark is adding additional generator programming but it will not be available for several months.

Yup. Got all of those options enabled/checked. Its like the inverter is only closing the circuit for a short time and then opening it again( or vice versa) unlike the gen force option signal on comes on until I uncheck the gen force box.

Does open or closed loop battery have anything to do with the generator kicking on?

It's not supposed to, but there have been some anomalies cause by closed loop communications.

What are your TOU settings?
What are your settings for Battery Shutdown, Battery Low, Battery Restart? Gen Start %? Verify Gen Charge is Enabled.

I've verified all of the settings a few times and changed them a bunch. Last night, for testing purposes, I had gen charge checked, start % at 80 w/ charge Amps @ 110 (battery charge suggestion of 45-90A. 2x hooked onto bus bar). Under TOU, I had charge checked on all time slots. I also have limited power to Load checked. I have shutdown % at 10% and low battery @ 20%. Restart @ 70%. Batteries were fully charged yesterday and whenever they hit the percentage to start the gen, it just sits there clicking away every 10 seconds or so. I sure "seems" like it's not keeping the signal on as it does with "force gen" selected.

So it looks like the TOU settings are causing the problem. I disabled the TOU settings and the genset fired up successfully 4 times today. I'll have to do some additional testing, but it sure seems like it's resolved.

Back