diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 15K Rejected by PG&E in California

NC.

Basically guy came out and said I couldn’t have utility connected to inverters.

Told him I wasn’t selling back.

He didn’t care.

Told him he could take his meter with him if he wanted.

He huffed and puffed but left and I disconnected the grid input.

They can all kiss my ass.

My understanding (from watching engineer775s videos regarding SolArk) is that a net metering agreement is not needed if using the SolArk for grid tied zero export. However an inspection might still be required in the area the installation is done. The inspection would be the same as any inspection for an offgrid inverter that has a grid connection for AC charging.. I’m not certain how all that works because the SolArk still has unavoidable very small amounts of backfeed into the grid

Last edited:
My understanding (from watching engineer775s videos regarding SolArk) is that a net metering agreement is not needed if using the SolArk for zero export. However an inspection might still be required in the area the installation is done. The inspection would be the same as any inspection for an offgrid inverter that has a grid connection for AC charging..

He didn’t ask for inspection anyway.
Just flat out told me It couldn’t be connected.

Nothing is being inspected here.
DIY batteries are not UL compliant.

I’m not back feeding or selling so frankly it none of their business.

The Utility is on a Transfer switch and the house is either on Solar or Utilities.

I had a line side tap to inverters and they had a cow about it.

I pulled the grid from the inverters.

He didn’t ask for inspection anyway.
Just flat out told me It couldn’t be connected.

Nothing is being inspected here.
DIY batteries are not UL compliant.

I’m not back feeding or selling so frankly it none of their business.

The Utility is on a Transfer switch and the house is either on Solar or Utilities.

I had a line side tap to inverters and they had a cow about it.

I pulled the grid from the inverters.
Yup you can always hook it up after it passed.

Engineer775 has also said several times in several different videos that the SolArks can do grid tie zero export and due to that are great if the electric company does not have a net metering option.

NC.

Basically guy came out and said I couldn’t have utility connected to inverters.

Told him I wasn’t selling back.

He didn’t care.

Told him he could take his meter with him if he wanted.

He huffed and puffed but left and I disconnected the grid input.

They can all kiss my ass.
Good for you. So you are using a generator when solar production is insufficient?

Yup you can always hook it up after it passed.
It’s fine the way it is and they won’t “Pass” it because it has DIY batteries.

The inspectors here know less than nothing.
It’s more of a shake down “pay me” than anything.
They are not really concerned with safety.
Found this out when I got Transfer switch “permitted “.

As long as I am not selling back they have no reason to inspect anything.

Actually, it's all about the ability to export.
My offgrid inverter can synchronize with the AC input.
But it can't export.
I’ve got inverters that require grid signal but do not export. They call themselves Grid Tie Inverters (GTIL).

Engineer775 has also said several times in several different videos that the SolArks can do grid tie zero export and due to that are great if the electric company does not have a net metering option.
I tried that. Didn’t work so he must be wrong.
They saw it somehow.

I've got to think this is way overblown and Sol-Ark didn't finish their paperwork or something. Or like someone said, didn't transfer enough money into the correct offshore accounts for the PGE C-suite.

Their other inverters appear to be approved, I doubt Sol-Ark dropped features on the 15k.

My Schneider XW6848 Pro is in the approved list and the only control PGE has is frequency shifting. Nothing more and nothing less.
And they'll only frequency shift in case of emergency. As far as I know they didn't even frequency shift when there was the huge heat wave and rolling power outage threats.

Unless they do allow enough spurious export that the utility can sense / detect it…

I've got to think this is way overblown and Sol-Ark didn't finish their paperwork or something. Or like someone said, didn't transfer enough money into the correct offshore accounts for the PGE C-suite.

Their other inverters appear to be approved, I doubt Sol-Ark dropped features on the 15k.

My Schneider XW6848 Pro is in the approved list and the only control PGE has is frequency shifting. Nothing more and nothing less.
And they'll only frequency shift in case of emergency. As far as I know they didn't even frequency shift when there was the huge heat wave and rolling power outage threats.
A lot of this boils down to local inspector who just wants paid.

Frequency shift reduces export / production, it does not increase it.

If the utility only has the ability to reduce solar production, not a big deal. But the wording makes it sound as though they also want the ability to increase power production from ESS systems.

Whether they are doing that now is beside the point. If they require that capability for future installs, it’s only a matter of time before we discover that ‘our’ stored energy was really never ours…

A lot of this boils down to local inspector who just wants paid.
The OP only posted about PGE and CUC. He said nothing about the his inspection failing. Others added that to the post later on.

I don't like the inspectors with a power complex, but luckily my local inspectors have been easy to work with.

Frequency shift reduces export / production, it does not increase it.
The table goes up to +30%
If you don't want to export, just program your inverter (edit: stupid auto correct) to block export. But it's built into the standard.

1667524167468.png
1667524272576.png

Last edited:
The OP only posted about PGE and CUC. He said nothing about the his inspection failing. Others added that to the post later on.

I don't like the inspectors with a power complex, but luckily my local inspectors have been easy to work with.
I realize that but why when the 12ks are ok that suddenly the 15ks are deficient?

I’m sure they didnt take functionality out.

Sounds funny to me.

What does +30% translate to for a solar-panel-powered Microinverter???
Doesn't apply, or maybe shift to reactivate power vs apparent power?

But with a battery based inverter or hybrid, it probably is going to ask for grid sell.

Back