diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 15K with 44x440W panels, Tigo Optimizers and Homegrid Stack'd 38.4kWh battery pack AMA

Are you guys manually turning on ARC Fault Detection? It's off by default when you do a factory reset.

I'm not debating that it should be on. Just curious that it's not selected by default.
maybe that changed in newer firmwares. It used to be other way around, on by default.

Are you guys manually turning on ARC Fault Detection? It's off by default when you do a factory reset.

I'm not debating that it should be on. Just curious that it's not selected by default.
The Sol-Ark arrived with Arc-fault off. I turned it on.

maybe that changed in newer firmwares. It used to be other way around, on by default.
On commissioning last year I updated to 7.2.2.2 / 143F, did a factory reset, then configured everything...never touching ARC fault detection. Reading you guys' comments I was like "huh? I've never had a fault." Well...when it's not on you won't get a fault. 🫣

I just turned mine on since it's a NEC safety requirement and all. We'll see how this goes. Normal TIGO config: CCA, TAPs, and TS4-A-Os.

Doing some research it does seem like kind of a bear to implement where it catches problems but doesn't false.

TIGO optimizers don't communicate on the PV wires. The CCA communicates over RS485 to the TAP and the TAP communicates wireless to the optimizers.

Yes, their old optimizers did it this way using Zigbee or Xbee I think it was. There were some issues with that wireless method but I don't know how much. Back when there were just optimizers, this would have been a much more reliable system.

Their RSD devices use PLC over PV lines.

boB

I just had an arc fault and for the second time I see no TIGO data 5 minutes prior to the arc fault event. I have the premium monitoring package that provides one minute resolution. Makes me think the optimizers are misbehaving during this 5 minute blackout. I submitted a support ticket to TIGO and will continue to monitor. BTW it's a cloudless day and the other 2 systems I monitor didn't show any dip in PV production. That debunks my cloud theory.

I just turned mine on since it's a NEC safety requirement and all. We'll see how this goes. Normal TIGO config: CCA, TAPs, and TS4-A-Os.
Over a week in and no problems so far. I've had both consistent full sun days and today's production was all over the place with huge swings in output pretty much all day due to sporadic (thick) clouds.

I submitted a support ticket ticket to TIGO. They asked me to bypass the RSD because the Sol-Ark powers off the CCA when an arc fault occurs. It took one week before a fault occurred. TIGO didn't see any explanation for the arc fault. Even with one minute sampling by TIGO, I still can't see exactly what was going on when the Sol-Ark declared an arc fault.

Attachments

• AF030324.png
    AF030324.png
    134.8 KB · Views: 4
Just had my first ARC fault. Booooo

Hell, that was my first fault ever.

Turned it back off. Sucks to fly blind but judging from the responses on here the function isn't functioning and as such Sol-Ark chose to make the factory default setting off. 😵

Last edited:
My Sol-Ark 15K also came with ARC fault off by default. Turned it on and within a couple of days I got an ARC fault. Turned it back off and I had no problems with it. One of my Growatt MIN 10Ks was also showing a ARC Fault. Growatt support tuned ARC Fault setting in it and I've never had an ARC Fault in the Growatt inverter again.

I think the ARC Fault detection in the Sol-Ark 15K is not ready yet for prime time. I also don't have any optimizers for my panels. My panels wiring goes directly into a junction box on the roof, then a straight run directly into the inverters through metal conduit and wire troughs.

I also don't have any optimizers for my panels. My panels wiring goes directly into a junction box on the roof, then a straight run directly into the inverters through metal conduit and wire troughs.
No RSD capability? Is that not a code requirement?

Mike C.

My Sol-Ark 15K also came with ARC fault off by default. Turned it on and within a couple of days I got an ARC fault. Turned it back off and I had no problems with it. One of my Growatt MIN 10Ks was also showing a ARC Fault. Growatt support tuned ARC Fault setting in it and I've never had an ARC Fault in the Growatt inverter again.

I think the ARC Fault detection in the Sol-Ark 15K is not ready yet for prime time. I also don't have any optimizers for my panels. My panels wiring goes directly into a junction box on the roof, then a straight run directly into the inverters through metal conduit and wire troughs.
No optimizers is a new WTF. All of the arc faults I've seen reported included optimizers.

No RSD capability? Is that not a code requirement?

Mike C.

There were not for me last year. The AHJ even said a shutdown button was not needed but I installed it anyway. Though, they did adopt the 2023 NEC starting this year. Also from what I understand, the NEC is suggestions and AHJs don't have to require everything.

No optimizers is a new WTF. All of the arc faults I've seen reported included optimizers.
Maybe because most installs have them? I do know my building inspector thinks the ARC Fault breakers are are a bad requirement and was just added to the NEC at the behest of the electrical panel manufactures to bring in more income. He even told me there was a whole coalition of master electricians who petitioned the NEC that it was not needed.

I have not wanted to turn the ARC Fault on the 15K after the two attempts at using it. Growatt had to "tune" their ARC Fault so it wouldn't trip.

Back