diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark battery settings not taking.

Tulex

Solar Wizard
Sol-Ark 15, two batteries with 200 amp Seplos bms.

Played around with some of the Seplos settings. At some point, the settings in the BMS app changed my Sol-Ark charge settings.
For Float, I'm trying to set 55.7v as per the latest example in the Sol-Ark manual. It takes the setting, but then it keeps going back to 58v
For Absorption, I set 56v, it goes back to 58v
for Equalization, I set 56v, it goes back to 58v

I don't have anything set that high in either bms.

Also, what parameter actually tells the battery the voltage to charge to?

Sol-Ark 15, two batteries with 200 amp Seplos bms.

Played around with some of the Seplos settings. At some point, the settings in the BMS app changed my Sol-Ark charge settings.
For Float, I'm trying to set 55.7v as per the latest example in the Sol-Ark manual. It takes the setting, but then it keeps going back to 58v
For Absorption, I set 56v, it goes back to 58v
for Equalization, I set 56v, it goes back to 58v

I don't have anything set that high in either bms.

Also, what parameter actually tells the battery the voltage to charge to?
Are the batteries doing closed-loop communications with the inverter? It sounds like the BMS is updating the charging parameters.

Yes, in closed loop. Sol-Ark is connected via Can, batteries connected to each other. Master set to 5, slave set to 1.

I'd try unplugging the battery comms cable, then try changing the params and see if they "stick", then wait a bit and plug the comms in and see if it reverts after a few minutes. I suspect that is what is happening. the BMS is setting the params on the inverter.

On my inverter/charge controllers, if the BMS is managing them, the settings are greyed out, so I can't change them.

My BMS will set the charge rate to 55.0v, and when the voltage reaches 54.5v it drops the charge rate to 54.0v. Let it charge and see what happens.

Unplugged the cable to can, set the parameters, they stayed. Connected again, they changed, so definitely the bms changing it. Went through the bms parameters and set everything to 56v. The absorption and equalization stayed, but float went up to 56v also, so need to figure out which bms parameter is float.

If Absorption is battery charge voltage, I'm assuming it won't charge above that voltage. 56v is only 3.5v per cell, which is low. So I'm assuming these default numbers for the float, absorption, and equalize are not for lifepo4 batteries?

If you have communication connected then all the inverter charge voltage/current settings are ignored.

Andy at Off-Grid-Garage did a whole video on this. He even made a spreadsheet because each version of the Seplos BMS behaves differently under closed-loop config.

I'd suggest researching that video, it was made 4 or 5 months ago I think

If you have communication connected then all the inverter charge voltage/current settings are ignored.
I hope this is the case, as whatever I put in the seplos for "total voltage overvoltage protection" is what gets populated in float, absorption, and equalization on the inverter.

That being the case, I don't know which seplos setting is float.

I hope this is the case, as whatever I put in the seplos for "total voltage overvoltage protection is what gets populated in float, absorption, and equalization on the inverter.

It won't float at the total charge voltage. Mine seems to charge at max speed until total voltage is hit, then drops current to 10A and does it again, then drops charge current to 0A.

I think that's 10E?

What are your settings for can in the bms app, and what number are you using for lithium battery on the setup?

While a few will work on 00 and 06, I can only get VCTR to show nominal cap under li-battery info.

I think that's 10E?

What are your settings for can in the bms app, and what number are you using for lithium battery on the setup?

While a few will work on 00 and 06, I can only get VCTR to show nominal cap under li-battery info.
00 in the sol-ark settings. I don't even see any CAN settings on the Bluetooth app.

That was what I had set originally, but no capacity showed up in the info when I clicked on li-battery info. I get all the same info with VCTR, but it also shows my total cap at the bottom of the info. I found it also works with 00 or 06 I believe. I have no idea if it really matters.

I hope this is the case, as whatever I put in the seplos for "total voltage overvoltage protection" is what gets populated in float, absorption, and equalization on the inverter.

This IS the case..
You should change those settings in the (master) BMS..
Andy did a whole series on the setting and what they do...
Binge watching ahead ;)

This IS the case..
You should change those settings in the (master) BMS..
Andy did a whole series on the setting and what they do...
Binge watching ahead ;)
I've watched all of his video (I think) on the Seplos, some multiple times. He does touch on some of the settings, but unfortunately his Victron plays a lot differently with the Seplos than the Sol-Ark does.

Seplos doesn't use float, it uses micro cycling to help the passive balancer, normally between 100 and 95% , if top balancing is an issue, shorten that temp to 99 or 98%

To add, deye/sol-ark/sunsynk use their own method to determine when the batteries are considered full and have absorbed enough, based on set AH of your battery, when ah flowing in is less than 10% ( don't pin me on the exact %) , the charging will stop..
This is not connected to the BMS other than it uses the SOC send by bms

Back