diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark problems by David Poz.. anyone else?

Not the same at all. I get offshore manufacturing and the global economy. A product being manufactured in China is more likely than not. Where your example misses the point is that American Standard, Goodman, Apple etc all design their own products and can legitimately make a claim to the ownership of the ideas within. Sol Ark slaps their name on a Deye inverter, goes around waving an American flag and triples the price, all while trying to claim that this is a product that they themselves are responsible for creating. I couldn’t care less that their inverter is made in China; the Victron Multiplus I have was made in China, but is Victron rebranding someone else’s product and tripling the price?
Regardless They have alway stuck by their word with me.

I also know that I have owned about every Chinese made inverter out there over the years.
Everyone of them has crapped out or not worked according to advertisement.
Try calling any of them in China and see what kind of response you get or better yet call the distributor you bought it from and it’s “ sorry no service after sale”.

If you don’t like SOL-Ark then don’t buy them.

If you had a problem with them. I’m Sorry.

The majority of people I talk to now have no issues with them other than the app on a Chinese server and they are working on that.

They have given me great technical support and Product support even when I had an issue with the DC breaker on mine.

They might have started out as Deye or Something else but Deye doesn’t sell here anymore.

They are an OEM for Sol-Ark now. So it’s theirs.

They also have engineers constantly reviewing and revamping the system and making tweaks.

Bashing them in the forum because you don’t like their pricing model or their marketing is pointless.

A lot of us do like them.

If you want to by Victron then buy Victron.
Or whatever brand Signature Solar sells.

The “Show” David put on was nothing but pure Theater with a bias towards Chinese Products.

Last edited:
If your comments were "deleted" why are the 13x of other similar critical comments still up? the CONSPIRACY is getting pretty sloppy...

Maybe we should fire David as our evil genius because he is doing such a poor job of obfuscating the truth???
Funny how All of mine were deleted also.

Defend him as you will, several of us here called him out and ALL comments where deleted.
They are not there and we’re posted.

After having mine “disappear “ 3 times I gave up, knowing what was going on.

Lie to yourself if you must.

Last edited:
Regardless They have alway stuck by their word with me.

I also know that I have owned about every Chinese made inverter out there over the years.
Everyone of them has crapped out or not worked according to advertisement.
Try calling any of them in China and see what kind of response you get or better yet call the distributor you bought it from and it’s “ sorry no service after sale”.

If you don’t like SOL-Ark then don’t buy them.

If you had a problem with them. I’m Sorry.

The majority of people I talk to now have no issues with them other than the app on a Chinese server and they are working on that.

They have given me great technical support and Product support even when I had an issue with the DC breaker on mine.

They might have started out as Deye or Something else but Deye doesn’t sell here anymore.

They are an OEM for Sol-Ark now. So it’s theirs.

They also have engineers constantly reviewing and revamping the system and making tweaks.

Bashing them in the forum because you don’t like their pricing model or their marketing is pointless.

A lot of us do like them.

If you want to by Victron then buy Victron.
Or whatever brand Signature Solar sells.

The “Show” David put on was nothing but pure Theater with a bias towards Chinese Products.
well i think the "show" against "us products" you talk about is absolute rubbish.

fact : sol-ark is just a relabeling company , feeding into false nationalistic feelings

fact : neither sol-ark , nor deye , does any form of design on these. this is done by sunsynk, where deye does the production

fact : sol-ark has plainly lied , first about "made in usa", when caught they changed that to "designed in usa".
to me they are opportunistic and "get rich fast or die trying"

fact : sol-ark has pushed their "exclusivity" for the us market so hard because the make a 300-400% margin on these inverters.
this caused deye and sunsynk to hold sales in the us.

in my book this is creating an unwarranted monopoly

fact : sol-ark does provide , as far as i have gathered, a pretty good service, and a local contact for questions

if above is worth 300-400 upmark, that remains in the eye of the beholder

fact : neither sol-ark , nor deye , does any form of design on these. this is done by sunsynk, where deye does the production
@houseofancients agree with just about everything outlined but I was not aware of this. Do you have a link or something that Keith mentions this? Ironically I think he joined this site recently, don’t remember his user name.

well i think the "show" against "us products" you talk about is absolute rubbish.

fact : sol-ark is just a relabeling company , feeding into false nationalistic feelings

fact : sol-ark has plainly lied , first about "made in usa", when caught they changed that to "designed in usa".
to me they are opportunistic and "get rich fast or die trying"

fact : sol-ark has pushed their "exclusivity" for the us market so hard because the make a 300-400% margin on these inverters.
this caused deye and sunsynk to hold sales in the us.

in my book this is creating an unwarranted monopoly

fact : sol-ark does provide , as far as i have gathered, a pretty good service, and a local contact for questions

if above is worth 300-400 upmark, that remains in the eye of the beholder
I’m so glad you know all the corporate working of foreign corporations.

The only fact is Sol-Ark has a contract to be the exclusive dealer that is why they can’t and don’t distribute here.

How exactly do you know what design is done or not done? You work for Sol-ark?

You have the exact same inverter from Deye or sunsynk?

The rest of your post is “my hurt feelings.”

Oh you would rather buy a Deye or Sunsyk with absolutely no support eh?
Monopoly my arse. It’s called business and they aren’t the only inverter dealers in town.

The price is worth it to us that have them.

Take your hurt feelings somewhere else.

David Poz video was nothing but a Hit piece to sell more Signature solar crap.

David Poz video was nothing but a Hit piece to sell more Signature solar crap.
It cant be a "hit piece" when others have had similar or the same problems, we get that its a touchy point for some but it does not make it less factual these things happened to some...check the video comments or are they also doing a "hit"? As for the exclusive distribution....why would i do a exclusive distribution agreement on something i own and have you building?

It cant be a "hit piece" when others have had similar or the same problems, we get that its a touchy point for some but it does not make it less factual these things happened to some...check the video comments or are they also doing a "hit"? As for the exclusive distribution....why would i do a exclusive distribution agreement on something i own and have you building?
It’s a “Hit piece” when you take a system not configured correctly and make it look like a POS to newbie or people who don’t possess the first inkling of critical thinking or Electrical skills when that’s not the case in order to say “ Look at this expensive POS fail. Don’t buy that get these cheap Chinese inverters that only operates on 240v and get a transformer to make 120v”

They don’t tell them that as soon as that transformer fails or breaker trips they have no more 120v.

Comments are Parroted to “be cool”
I can almost guarantee they have zero experience with a properly set up Sol-Ark.

They have an exclusive agreement so Deye or whomever does flood the market and take away market share by being cheap not necessarily better.

China has a 30 year habit of taking Companies IP and reverse engineering it then using slave labor to build it half price and flood markets putting other businesses out of business.

Try to sue them and all of the sudden you find it’s a state sponsored company and you cannot sue a country.

Sol-Ark provides American Jobs.
Therefore you need exclusivity or those jobs don’t exist.

If they designed there own from scratch it could take years to develop and get to market.

Instead they sign a contract with Deye or Sunsynk to make them for them and change whatever they need to fit in the American market.

Changing and adding functionality that the customers want.

Their biggest strengths are support.

Pretty straight forward.

Everyone bitching here is the same old thing.

Rebranded , to expensive, POS, yada, yada

If you don’t like them then don’t buy them.

Many installer do and their customers.

It’s a “Hit piece” when you take a system not configured correctly and make it look like a POS to newbie or people who don’t possess the first inkling of critical thinking or Electrical skills when that’s not the case in order to say “ Look at this expensive POS fail. Don’t buy that get these cheap Chinese inverters that only operates on 240v and get a transformer to make 120v”

They don’t tell them that as soon as that transformer fails or breaker trips they have no more 120v.

I can almost guarantee they have zero experience with a properly set up Sol-Ark.

They have an exclusive agreement so Deye or whomever does flood the market and take away market share by being cheap not necessarily better.

China has a 30 year habit of taking Companies IP and reverse engineering it then using slave labor to build it half price and flood markets putting other businesses out of business.

Try to sue them and all of the sudden you find it’s a state sponsored company and you cannot sue a country.

If they designed there own from scratch it could take years to develop and get to market.

Instead they sign a contract with Deye or Sunsynk to make them for them and change whatever they need to fit in the American market.

Pretty straight forward.

Your idea of "properly set up" is the problem...he stated his systems are designed to be OFF GRID! So in this config you will easily face some of the issues he presented not everyone will use this the same way, these are high frequency inverters and have inherent weaknesses...all that video showed was limitations in off grid use and the need to plan ahead...what made them look bad was the cryin about not using a autotransformer when there Is zero suggestions in the manual or on their site you should use one if this will be installed in that setting.(off grid)...what they seem to suggest is buy another inverter....lmfao thats a sure fix....they have seemingly been disingenuous with marketing but at least you acknowledge they more than likely did not initially design these, just added value with customization. Its still a great inverter just need to be knowledgeable about the limitations and fixes for limitations.

Pretty straight forward.

This seems to be a very touchy issue with folks that have bought Sol Ark and like the product. Nobody is telling you to return the product. I for one am thrilled that you like Sol Ark and have had a positive experience installing these units. That’s all great. I did consider getting Sol Ark for my system, as the 12k seemed to tick of a lot of boxes for me. Upon doing my due diligence however, I was incredibly put off by the mischaracterization that this was a US made product, as the centrepiece to their marketing is how rah rah American they are. Put put it simply, it’s complete BS, and yes, there is the issue of them charging 3x for a rebranded product. Knowing this doesn’t sit well with me, nor does it sit well with plenty of others. That’s ok. I’m not judging you for buying a Sol Ark; I think it’s terrific that you did. I’m happy with my purchase of SMA Sunny Islands… different strokes

As for David Poz posting a hit piece, that really is a hysterical view of what he posted. I’m not really a fan of David Poz to be honest, however I watched the video, and I’ve watched others, and I don’t get the sense that they dude has it in him to do a “hit piece” as you say. They guy isn’t running for political office for christs also. Also, he uses and espouses plenty of cheaper Chinese made gear. The fact that he had an issue with Sol Ark with his installation, one that others have also had is just a fact, flawed installation or not.

Your idea of "properly set up" is the problem...he stated his systems are designed to be OFF GRID! So in this config you will easily face some of the issues he presented not everyone will use this the same way, these are high frequency inverters and have inherent weaknesses...all that video showed was limitations in off grid use and the need to plan ahead...what made them look bad was the cryin about not using a autotransformer when there Is zero suggestions in the manual or on their site you should use one if this will be installed in that setting.(off grid)...what they seem to suggest is buy another inverter....lmfao thats a sure fix....they have seemingly been disingenuous with marketing but at least you acknowledge they more than likely did not initially design these, just added value with customization. Its still a great inverter just need to be knowledgeable about the limitations and fixes for limitations.
He has Grid power he just chose not to use it.
He also decided not to balance his Load Panel.
He also decided not to upgrade to the latest firmware.
He also decided not to call Sol-ark tech support.

Any one of those would have solved the issue without the transformer.

Myself and others have had great results and service from them.

If it employs Americans then I can pay more for it.

We are seeing the results now from our lack of manufacturing. Product Shortages…
Post WWII we made every single thing Americans could possibly have used.

Now we make nothing.

This seems to be a very touchy issue with folks that have bought Sol Ark and like the product. Nobody is telling you to return the product. I for one am thrilled that you like Sol Ark and have had a positive experience installing these units. That’s all great. I did consider getting Sol Ark for my system, as the 12k seemed to tick of a lot of boxes for me. Upon doing my due diligence however, I was incredibly put off by the mischaracterization that this was a US made product, as the centrepiece to their marketing is how rah rah American they are. Put put it simply, it’s complete BS, and yes, there is the issue of them charging 3x for a rebranded product. Knowing this doesn’t sit well with me, nor does it sit well with plenty of others. That’s ok. I’m not judging you for buying a Sol Ark; I think it’s terrific that you did. I’m happy with my purchase of SMA Sunny Islands… different strokes

As for David Poz posting a hit piece, that really is a hysterical view of what he posted. I’m not really a fan of David Poz to be honest, however I watched the video, and I’ve watched others, and I don’t get the sense that they dude has it in him to do a “hit piece” as you say. They guy isn’t running for political office for christs also. Also, he uses and espouses plenty of cheaper Chinese made gear. The fact that he had an issue with Sol Ark with his installation, one that others have also had is just a fact, flawed installation or not.
Signature Solar sent him that to purposefully make Sol-ark look bad.

No other reason.

He had plenty of opportunity to remedy the Issue beforehand but chose not to.

He did it because the gravy train would have stopped from Signature if he didn’t.

He makes money from their products.
He is a salesperson.
He set it up to fail to push his sponsors products.

They did it to pull market share from Sol-ark.

Hit piece.

Last edited:

Pretty straight forward.

I agree with almost everything you just stated. The problem I have had with Sol-Ark is twofold in addition to all of the arguments I had with two of their engineers in May of 2020 regarding the Sol-Ark 12K 63V working with my LTO SCiB batteries. They put a 63V model manual in the box that came with my Sol-Ark 12k and I didn't find out that I had a 59V model until I went to install and download the updates. Then they wouldn't help me with fixing the problem. Now, after installing, my wife's hairdryer shuts it down and I find that Sol-Ark engineers have been aware of this issue way before my purchase. So, maybe it is good that they got exposed. Knowing David Poz, like I do, I don't feel that he was doing or saying what he did about the Sol-Ark 12K to put it down intentionally to sell Chinese systems for Signature Solar. I think that the reason he didn't download any updates was because the person who lent it to him told him not to. I know how envious he was of me when I bought my Sol-Ark 12K as he thought it was the Rolls-Royce of hybrid inverters. I know he's a man of good character and integrity and would never allow himself to be sold out, however he makes his money from endorsements and will look for holes in products to bring attention to. In this case, it gives the appearance that he's pushing the company that brings him the best revenue.

What bothers me the most about everything that is being said is this communication of comments has stepped so far out of bounds with being a forum of helpful information and turned into a bashing forum of Sol-Ark and David Poz.

Last edited:
Sol-Ark inverters where designed in the USA and the first 30 units of the 8K model where made in the USA.
I am in 100% agreement that they should have changed the label to "Designed in the USA" the moment they started to have Deye make the upper half of the units for them. I suspect that they thought they might get away with it, but it exploded in their face.

This design issue was debated in another thread and I showed videos plus pictures of Sol-Ark 8K being for sale long before Sunsync or Deye had a model that was even similar. I also have a picture that was sent to me of one of the first 30 units that was made in the USA for beta testing and as the person told me you can clearly see that is was not made with a proper finish on the outside.

Why is it so hard for people to comprehend something that is so common in the US tech industry! There is absolutely nothing new about US companies designing equipment in the USA and then sending it over to China or other countries to have it made. This is the way that about 95% of American designed products are made. Do you think that Foxconn in China designs each new model of the iPhone?

When Sol-Ark's CEO Tom Brennan came on the Forum and Directly posted that his company was the designer/IP holder of the Inverter did you really need more proof than that? If this was false information it could easily been used in a multi million dollar lawsuit by the real owners of the IP against Sol-Ark. Yet some people still did not want to believe it.

When Sol-Ark told Deye to stop making split phase units I posted that this was enough proof that Sol-Ark was indeed the IP holder and that Deye was simply a manufacturer.
A new spin was created that Sol-Ark is such a big buyer and that Deye was forced to comply.
These statements come from people who have done zero business with Chinese manufactures.
I have had about 20 years of work dealing with them and nobody tells a large Chinese manufacturer what to do unless their pay check to the company is what keeps it running or they actually do hold the rights to the IP they are using. If not they will simply tell you to piss off and then they will find another North American partner to deal with.
Sol-Ark is not even close to being that size. Deye and its sales to numerous other third party brands of 220V single and three phase Inverters models dwarfs the purchasing power of Sol-Ark.

As Sol-Ark stated they let Deye Manufacturer certain Inverter models for the Domestic Chinese market as part of the deal they made when they partnered with them. Sol-Ark drew a red line when Deye started to produce grey market Split phase versions and then told Deye to cease production of them (which Deye did) and then Sol-Ark stopped sharing Firmware updates with them.
As for David Poz posting a hit piece, that really is a hysterical view of what he posted.
I’m not really a fan of David Poz to be honest, however I watched the video, and I’ve watched others, and I don’t get the sense that they dude has it in him to do a “hit piece” as you say.
It was a hit piece that was designed by Signature Solar to make the Sol-Ark look bad. They guy isn’t running for political office for christs also. Also, he uses and espouses plenty of cheaper Chinese made gear.

For the last year almost every video David Poz has made on new solar equipment is about gear that is sold by Signature Solar and it was Signature Solar that "anonymously" sent him that Sol-Ark inverter to be tested. Signature Solar is how he makes most of his YouTube revenue, basically through the promotional codes he pushes to viewers to get discounts. Use his code and he makes hundreds of dollars on your purchase. Signature Solar has always liked to compare themselves to Sol-Ark and that was exactly what this video was about.
It was 100% a hit job engineered by them and Poz to make Sol-Ark look bad.

The fact that he had an issue with Sol Ark with his installation, one that others have also had is just a fact, flawed installation or not.
He did not have a problem with the Inverter, he was told before hand that the old firmware in the unit was literally Beta firmware and that it would trip the Inverter at a very conservative level if an imbalance was detected. He was told at exactly what level and how to recreate this by a poster in his first setup video. Instead of heeding this warning or updating the firmware he went straight in and used those numbers to create some theater for the audience.

BTW the Initial use of conservative firmware settings is a very common practice in the engineering world. You have to be very conservative with your fixed firmware settings on the first units sold or you possibly face disaster with loads of returned units. As you get a better idea of how the device is working in the real world you move up the settings via firmware updates and so long as data is good and confidence in higher settings on your test devices is good you go higher to get the best performance possible out of the unit without a risk of frying any units.

There have NOT been a whole lot of people with Sol-Arks complaining about problems but there is certainly no end of various Growatt complaints. Also the fact that they have yet to provide a way to use the grid with the unit in a way that does not use multiple grounds or is compliant with NEC wiring is disturbing and dangerous.

Last edited:
I never realized that there could be so many conspiracy theories about an inverter
Have you read any of the posts by the owner of Signature Solar?
He has wisely stopped dealing with customers and has hired a nice guy called Richard to deal with product promotions and the customers.

Last edited:
What bothers me the most about everything that is being said is this communication of comments has stepped so far out of bounds with being a forum of helpful information and turned into a bashing forum of Sol-Ark and David Poz.

Agree 110%

As a long term owner on the 12k and OP of a few SolArk, DEYE threads here I am 100% satisfied with the performance with my setup, grid assist, but not thrilled with the cost and wish there was more competition with this genre of inverter.

Disagree about the comment on Poz, I know him personally and know his video was not a ‘hit piece’, he has been critical or found issues with Other products over the years and what he reported on is a known limitation with this inverter.

The price of sol ark's honestly doesn't seem that bad to me. Whenever I piece together a comparable system from victron, Schneider, outback, etc, the price is always similar or even higher (plus the install is generally much messier due to having separate components for everything). MPP Solar and growatt are cheaper but they both lack features that I require for my main home system. The LVX6048 is the closest "cheap" AIO to what I need but the high idle consumption, low pass through current, and no export limiter are deal breakers to me. Maybe the LVX6048WP will hit the mark. I'll likely buy a Sol Ark 15k when they release unless a better option is released soon.

Last edited:
This is probably not the correct forum to be asking this question but, because there are many here that have a Sol-Ark 12K system online in an off-grid system, I thought I would throw it out there. I'm currently setting up my Sol-Ark 12K and have a question about grounding. I am running 2 pairs of wires from my array attached to the appropriate strings that are each under 500V and 20AMPS. I have grounded the panels and stanchion with bare 6AWG stranded copper wire to an 5/8"X8' ground rod 8ft deep in the ground. Do I need to run a 6AWG THNN TWNN stranded copper wire through the conduit to my solar shed and Sol-Ark 12k attached to the array, combiner boxes and disconnect switches?

This is probably not the correct forum to be asking this question but, because there are many here that have a Sol-Ark 12K system online in an off-grid system, I thought I would throw it out there. I'm currently setting up my Sol-Ark 12K and have a question about grounding. I am running 2 pairs of wires from my array attached to the appropriate strings that are each under 500V and 20AMPS. I have grounded the panels and stanchion with bare 6AWG stranded copper wire to an 5/8"X8' ground rod 8ft deep in the ground. Do I need to run a 6AWG THNN TWNN stranded copper wire through the conduit to my solar shed and Sol-Ark 12k attached to the array, combiner boxes and disconnect switches?
I would start a new thread for your question, you’ll get a better response vs being buried in this one.

Back