diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark with hot temp in Texas

coolwaterxii

Nowadays in Texas where it heats up to 116 F, the Sol-Ark 15k is in the garage and temperature reaches greater than the max (140F).

I called Sol-Ark and they said to partially open the garage and put a fan when it’s very hot.

My questions to those who have Sol-Ark inverter and live in hot climate like me… is it necessary? Or do you all let the built in fan take care of heat decipation? Not even checking the inverter temp at all.

Are you getting a fault F64 (Heatsink HighTemp)? If not you're probably fine.

For your data, my two 15Ks have different fan strategies from the factory; one is much quieter but runs a hair hotter. Yesterday in my garage that hit 100-101F the quieter inverter hit 57.6C and the louder one maxed at 54.1C. Ambient was 113F in my neighborhood.

A 15K should have no issue with a hot garage...regardless of location.

Nowadays in Texas where it heats up to 116 F, the Sol-Ark 15k is in the garage and temperature reaches greater than the max (140F).

I called Sol-Ark and they said to partially open the garage and put a fan when it’s very hot.

My questions to those who have Sol-Ark inverter and live in hot climate like me… is it necessary? Or do you all let the built in fan take care of heat decipation? Not even checking the inverter temp at all.
Put a 5 k window unit in the garage somehow for the hot months… knock down the temp a good bit…A 150 dollar solution that will allow the sol - ark to run more efficiently and recoup much of what the A/ C draws …….your loosing a good bit of efficiency by the sol- arc operating way over its STC rated output.. look for a power / temp curve chart if they have one .
I had this problem with my multiplus and it’s now much happier being a bit cooler… not to mention the batteries…

I have a Sol-Ark and I live in Arizona same temperatures or higher. I put a mini split AC since I have extra solar power, Now the garage is a cold room also since I set the temperature low.

I installed a Fujitsu 9K 33SEER in my power shed. Electronics will last longer in a dry, 65-68F ambient conditions.

It will run fine in the short term and protect itself by reducing power output or shutting down if it gets too hot but long-term you are murdering it. You've got to get that garage below 100, long term aim for 80 as a maximum ambient.

I installed a Fujitsu 9K 33SEER in my power shed. Electronics will last longer in a dry, 65-68F ambient conditions.
Where did you find a 33-SEER unit? I’ve not see them that high.
We have a 36K Fujitsu running our house. I think it’s only an 18 SEER unit.
I’d like to add a smaller but more efficient unit to the garage.

Where did you find a 33-SEER unit? I’ve not see them that high.
We have a 36K Fujitsu running our house. I think it’s only an 18 SEER unit.
I’d like to add a smaller but more efficient unit to the garage.
HVAC for a living. So, one of my distributors. But a company called “HVAC Direct” has them online for about the same price I paid. You’ll have to research that company because I know nothing about them. I just searched Fujitsu 33 SEER 9000 BTU and they popped up. I am really happy with its efficiency and operation.

It will run fine in the short term and protect itself by reducing power output or shutting down if it gets too hot but long-term you are murdering it. You've got to get that garage below 100, long term aim for 80 as a maximum ambient.
I've had very serious heat issues with my EG4 6500 ex units, and I am seriously considering getting the Sol Ark 15k to replace them. Thanks everyone for the comments. I already plan to install a window AC unit for the solar power plant in my basement.

I have a 12k, so not exactly the same beast but I am having temp problems and they are solving it by sending me a 15k:

Heat issues under light load, or under heavy load?

Different inverters derate different amounts depending on how they are built.

Sunny Island,
page 227, SI 4548US at 140C delivers 200W continuous (4.4% compare to nominal),
page 230, SI 6048US at 140C delivers 2200W (38% compared to nominal)

Yet they have the same 3 second surge capability.

files.sma.de/downloads/SI4548-6048-US-BE-en-21W.pdf

Attached or detached garage? If attached, you could add an exhaust vent and a temperature controlled fan+damper to bring in just enough cool air from the house. I'm in a much cooler climate and didn't want the garage to get too hot, so installed a temperature controlled exhaust and passive intake to bring in outside air when the garage gets hot. (I used AC Infinity fan and am very happy with it)

Rather than cooling entire garage and circulating inverter's air in garage, consider ducting cool house air to inverter's fan inlet.

In the case of exterior air, same approach could be considered, but make sure you're not bringing in humid air.

For my workshop where my solar equipment is at I just put a 5000 btu cheapo air conditioner in the window and let it run off the solar during the day using an emporia smartplug to turn it off at night. You can use home assistant to have it turn back on if night time temps get to high. I don't even have it on my main house solar but a smaller 12 volt solar setup that runs my security cameras and stuff. Works great.

Attached or detached garage? If attached, you could add an exhaust vent and a temperature controlled fan+damper to bring in just enough cool air from the house. I'm in a much cooler climate and didn't want the garage to get too hot, so installed a temperature controlled exhaust and passive intake to bring in outside air when the garage gets hot. (I used AC Infinity fan and am very happy with it)
Connecting a duct from the house is a terrible HVAC code violation. The air in the garage and living space need to be isolated.

Venting from the outdoors is fine, as is installing a separate minisplit. When precharged lineset DIY units are available around $1k I don’t see a reason to do something outside of best practices.

Connecting a duct from the house is a terrible HVAC code violation. The air in the garage and living space need to be isolated.
You're right on code. To make it all safe in practice, in addition to the interlocked mechanical backdraft prevention damper, you would also need sufficient make-up air to keep the house pressure from going negative. Would end up costing more energy than a separate garage minispit or similar. NVM my suggestion.

Back