diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark's Comment on EG4 18k-PV-12-LV

Yes, this is what turns me off to SolArk as well. Sure they may be tweaking a few things here and there, but their units are Deye inverters. Most people interested enough in solar and alternative energy enough to actively participate here know this already.

I don’t own any SolArk or EG4 equipment. The price of SolArk is a turn off for me when I know what the actual cost of the units is. Sorry, I just don’t buy into the value add that they claim. I’m happy to spend money on good equipment and tools (most of my power tools are festool, I have SMA Sunny Islands currently etc.). Like most people I think, I take issue with all of the patriotic claims along with the attendant surcharge when the unit is 100% Chinese made and almost 100% Chinese design.

This new EG4 unit is quite intriguing on the other hand. It seems to offer performance that is really on par with the SolArk/Deye 15k. On top of that, EG4 is not trying to make any claims that this unit is not in fact a LuxPower inverter that they have collaborated and had some input on. At its core though, this is a LuxPower inverter and that point is made clear. On top of that, EG4 is selling this at a reasonable price. There is no question that Signature Solar has some work to do in the customer service and Q/C departments. Quality seems to be an issue with certain products they offer, but not others. This has kept me from considering them as a vendor so far, however I can also see that they are working hard to deliver quality products. I like that they aren’t hiding the origin of their products and claiming that they are great patriots.

Having the 9540 listing will be nice when that is completed. Definitely considering the EG4.

The price of SolArk is a turn off for me when I know what the actual cost of the units is
In that case you won't buy anything, the price doubles on everything as soon as it hits the ports. You think that Ford truck really cost $80k to make ?

In that case you won't buy anything, the price doubles on everything as soon as it hits the ports. You think that Ford truck really cost $80k to make ?
I thought only half the unit was from China, I thought I read on here that Sol-Ark builds part of it here, and makes their own software.

Third and ongoing issue is my clocks gaining time, they gave me a firmware update that did not change it. I am using it off grid 99% of the time and unfortunately it just runs a little fast, there could be a setting that needs to be understood, I need to work with them on it some more.
Too bad there isn't a millisecond adjustment for off grid frequency. Seems like your clock chip is running a little fast.

I thought only half the unit was from China, I thought I read on here that Sol-Ark builds part of it here, and makes their own software.
Which software? The the data and web hosted stuff for the Sol-Ark was/is hosted from servers in China. They have started to change that so that new installs send data to the USA but older units are still sending to China.

So yes you are paying a premium price for a premium product and support, that does have a great track record. Some people buy a BMW and some people buy a Ford.
Interesting comparison. I would never buy a BMW because I don't consider it really a product with a great track record. I've noticed there are a heck of a lot more old Fords still driving around (proportionally) than old BMWs. Probably because BMWs are expensive to maintain and repair, so when they get older they get junked because richy people won't be seen in an "old" car and middle class or poor people can't afford the repair bills on them!

And I'm not even a Ford fan in the slightest.

Interesting comparison. I would never buy a BMW because I don't consider it really a product with a great track record. I've noticed there are a heck of a lot more old Fords still driving around (proportionally) than old BMWs. Probably because BMWs are expensive to maintain and repair, so when they get older they get junked because richy people won't be seen in an "old" car and middle class or poor people can't afford the repair bills on them!

And I'm not even a Ford fan in the slightest.
There is a common phrase about German cars. If you can't afford a new one, you can't afford a used one.

Having owned a few Mercs since new that have become quite high mileage, I completely agree with that phrase.

I have used the SanTan (Trina) 250w panels a lot, so I can just run through those numbers really quick. They are just an average 60 cell panel.

VOC = 37.6v
ISC = 8.9a

12S2P makes 451v VOC and 17.8a ISC.

MPPT1 has a max ISC of 31a, so you cant use 2x 12S2P on it. But still:

MPPT1 = 12S2P at 6kw
MPPT2 = 12S2P at 6kw
MPPT3 = 12S2P at 6kw

Total 18kw connected.

Now these 60cell panels are old technology and nobody wants them anymore, so take it with a grain of salt.
I just used the Trina 280w panels which are easy to handle and carry. So I will carry the salt with you!

Honestly for me, the price isn't a huge differentiator (just a consideration), but the "properly sized" wiring compartment sure is. SolArk could really use an extended gutter option, as @HighTechLab is aware from his personal install.

I'll be trying to go into permit and utility application with a series of acceptable alternates listed on the plans for AIO inverters and maybe even the XW-Pro 6848 ecosystem.

Which software? The the data and web hosted stuff for the Sol-Ark was/is hosted from servers in China. They have started to change that so that new installs send data to the USA but older units are still sending to China.
and to add insult to injury.

deye( including sunsynk users, dc is in london) is moving data to uk for eu users, usa for north and south american users ( including sol-ark ) and the rest stays in china .

probably has more to do with strickter eu/uk laws on privacy and the general bad vibes between the us and china than anything

just saying :)

XW Pro is genuine gold some have 18 years under their belt lol
They're amazing, the issue is the balance of the system. It just adds up. I can get 3 xw pros for 5500cad each, but the balance of parts is another ~10k.

You guys really have an advantage with the lack of PDP, AGS, monitoring, etc. It's a really attractive alternative.

I understand quite well how business works, but thanks. My point is that IF Sol Ark didn’t have an exclusive deal with Deye in NA, then the same exact units would cost roughly to a little more than half of what they sell them for…. Off the boat here in the US. What I take issue with is the implication that you are paying for a specia American product at an all American price when we know that isn’t true at all. That’s it. If they didn’t take this approach, I would have zero issues with SolArk ??‍♂️. Again, as I posted on my original post, I have no problem ponying up premium money for premium items. Sure I like a bargain, but I’m definitely not the guy always looking to save a few bucks.

Back