diy solar

diy solar

Solar As Backup...

EddieO

I have a Pellet Stove for my main heat. Unfortunately it doesn't warm the whole house since it is big with lots of windows. What is the best solar generator in your opinion could I use to plug a heater and carry to a couple of different rooms when needed and powerful enough to run a hair dryer?IMG_20221115_185443407.jpg

Space heating with one of those small plug-in heaters is one of the most inefficient ways to use electricity, you would only get 1 to 1-1/2 hours with a portable back up inverter/battery like a 2kWh Bluetti AC200.

Last edited:
Space heating with one of those small plug-in heaters is one the most inefficient ways to use electricity, you would only get 1 to 1-1/2 hours with a a portable back up inverter/battery like a 2kWh Bluetti AC200.
I thought it was longer.

The new diesel heaters are incredible. They are so much more economical than propane and they really work well. There are some Chinese varieties that are knocking off the expensive names, and they have great reviews on YouTube.
A really good solar backup would be the DC Solar Trailer that I have for sale, PM me if you're interested ?

Buy or rent a thermal imaging camera (most attach to your smartphone).

With that in hand you can tackle the top few insulation issues. That will give you a return on investment measured in days or weeks.

Once you've hit the easy stuff insulation-wise you can get back to adding heat sources ?

I run two Chinese diesel heaters in the house, one in the bedroom, the other in the lounge. As long as they are just ticking over, they use very little. One in the van also.

Heck just install one of those small pellet stoves in each of the rooms, direct vent it and you’re good to go!

There are solar powered heat pump mini splits that run directly off DC panel voltage, only need 2-4 panels to run them.

Downside is limited sun output in the winter moths, you know when it cold out, tough to power you’re heat pump for heat when there is minimal sun output. Much better solution for summer time cooling needs.

Best to work out exactly what performance you are looking for and then go for solutions. For a house a more sizeable solution would likely be far more efficient since most battery solutions would be far too expensive and impractical in comparison purely for directly powering heating.

Heck just install one of those small pellet stoves in each of the rooms, direct vent it and you’re good to go!

There are solar powered heat pump mini splits that run directly off DC panel voltage, only need 2-4 panels to run them.

Downside is limited sun output in the winter moths, you know when it cold out, tough to power you’re heat pump for heat when there is minimal sun output. Much better solution for summer time cooling needs.
I haven't found any tiny pellet stoves. I am looking for something more off grid that can use the sun if power is out. That is a good idea though. I am thinking of a Bluetti 2000p I think to accomplish my needs.

Don't let her get away. She speaks wisdom.
Apparently some of you here that use solar power still do not know the importance of keeping their family safe and warm if the power ever goes out in the winter. Not to mention the ridiculous high cost it takes to heat your home on grid. Man up!

Electric mattress pad.

Electric clothing

Easier to heat the human than the habitation.

I haven't found any tiny pellet stoves. I am looking for something more off grid that can use the sun if power is out. That is a good idea though. I am thinking of a Bluetti 2000p I think to accomplish my needs.
Do you think the AC200p will provide enough run time for when using electric heater as mention on post #3?

Apparently some of you here that use solar power still do not know the importance of keeping their family safe and warm if the power ever goes out in the winter. Not to mention the ridiculous high cost it takes to heat your home on grid. Man up!
OK and I would be thinking to have the stove over in the corner maybe where the air duct enters the house. I am over it now ;)

For backup power I would build a large battery and integrate an inverter into a few branch circuits to keep some basics running for minimal heat, lights, fridge and some communications during an outage. As time and money permit put some solar panels on the roof to give the battery a boost during an outage.

Those solar generators come at a premium price and relative low capacity to really keep an entire house going. I don't think they would serve well unless very short outage duration.

I would power the existing heat systems that burn other fuels long before using electric resistance heat.

Back