diy solar

diy solar

Solar Assistant can't see second inverter's USB connection

SenileOldGit

Solar Enthusiast
Hi, I have two MPP Solar PIP5048MKX inverters, and have connected them to a Raspberry Pi running Solar Assistant, each inverter has its own USB cable connected to the Raspberry Pi (admittedly by 15m of 'active' USB extension cables). Solar Assistant says that only one of the inverters is actually connected to the Raspberry Pi's USB port, the other is being read through the parallel connector of the second inverter.
I also use MultiSIBControl with the same USB cables, and that shows both inverters correctly, and shows all their information. If I remove one of the USB cables from my PC, then when I restart MultiSIBControl, only the other inverter is visible, so I am pretty sure it doesn't attempt to read data from the parallel cable of the USB-unplugged inverter. So I am pretty sure the USB extension cables are working fine. So I was wondering why Solar Assistant only sees one USB cable correctly on the Raspberry Pi.
I have tried unplugging one of the USB cables from the Raspberry Pi, and Solar Assistant just reads the unplugged inverter's data through the parallel cable, into the connected inverter.
I get strange battery readings from Solar Assistant, it always shows something like 3,000 watts coming out of the battery, almost never anything going in, even though if I switch the USB cables over to MultiSIBControl, it shows the inverters are providing a kilowatt or two to the batteries. Has anybody else had this problem?

Thank you so much nc73, that's fixed the problem for me! I'm sorry I didn't thank you before. I'm buying a Deye inverter now, I'm so pleased to see that Solar Assistant supports them, it's a great piece of software.

I had the same problem and same resolution a few months back. If I remember right, you have to click the pink disconnect in order to see and make changes. SA needs to add this to their troubleshooting list so they don’t get bugged and they can spend more time making innovations.

I am working on a Solar-assistant Python mqtt project. The current example can set the max grid charge current based on expected solar power production. This will reduce the grid power usage if you have enough solar power.

https://github.com/JJSlabbert/Solar-Assistant-MQTT-client
That’s a great idea. I use the inverter’s built in timer to charge during “off peak” for better rates. Since I can’t adjust time remotely, I simply adjust charge current based on state of charge and anticipated solar production. Something intuitive using a local forecast would be the ultimate.

Back