diy solar

diy solar

Solar Assistant graphs freeze up

1972pat

Every few days the graphs come up like normal but then get stuck at the same level. So far a reboot from settings fixes it...but why is this happening? Anything I can do to fix it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221215_122815_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221215_122815_Chrome.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 8
The one thing that causes the most problems with SA and the Pi is the Power Supply.
Everytime I have had weird issues it turned out to be the Power supply. I do not know why this thing burns through power supplies so fast but I am on my third one in a year. As soon as I changed it the lockups stopped, the WiFi disconnect issues stopped and also times when it would stop receiving data from the 485 port. In every case a reboot fixed the issue for a few days and then it would come back.
I eventually changed the Power Supply and the problem is gone for good or until it needs a new one again.

I ordered the battery terminal power supply from Solar Assistant when I bought the whole shebang from them. So far so good. I might mention that I’m fooling around with Home Assistant and most run that on Pi’s too. There are lots of failures and a growing number are buying slim clients off of eBay and installing on them instead of Pi’s. Slim clients are small computers and are designed for continuous use. They buy them with SSD’s installed. Pretty neat and it is easy to find them with 8gb ram and 32-64gb of SSD for around $50 usd. I have one coming to experiment with but if it works out I’ll buy another one and install SA on it.

Have you found any info that indicates these Slim Clients can run SA?

Have you found any info that indicates these Slim Clients can run SA?
No other than they can run HA and HA runs on a Pi as does SA. I have sent an email to SA.

Attachments

• 2647B331-F6FE-40A8-8EF9-ED301DEFABB9.png
    2647B331-F6FE-40A8-8EF9-ED301DEFABB9.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 84ED8926-2574-42AE-960A-ADD9BED76542.png
    84ED8926-2574-42AE-960A-ADD9BED76542.png
    960.3 KB · Views: 4
I have one coming to experiment with but if it works out I’ll buy another one and install SA on it.
Good luck installing it on anything except Pi and Orange Pi 3 LTS. I've tried with armbian builds for other SBCs but didn't worked out. I have a 40 core Xeon Gold server with 128G RAM sitting next to it, and can't leverage that because SA won't support VM installation.
Mine died at me while nobody is close to investigate. no ssh, no watchdog, basically you need to walk across half a world to unplug and replug it.

I'm currently browsing the disk image and could not find anything remotely connected to SA, only the Grafana install.

Good luck installing it on anything except Pi and Orange Pi 3 LTS. I've tried with armbian builds for other SBCs but didn't worked out. I have a 40 core Xeon Gold server with 128G RAM sitting next to it, and can't leverage that because SA won't support VM installation.
Mine died at me while nobody is close to investigate. no ssh, no watchdog, basically you need to walk across half a world to unplug and replug it.

I'm currently browsing the disk image and could not find anything remotely connected to SA, only the Grafana install.
It may not be possible. I know some are having issues with SA and HA on their Pi’s. Seems data loss and long term Pi reliability are the primary issues. I am trying to find a more robust platform to install it on.

Back