diy solar

diy solar

Solar Assistant (Possibly) Voids Warranty on EG4 Inverters?

So, since I’m using this: Mini UPS Battery Backup 20000mAh Uninterruptible Power Supply for Router, Modem, Security Camera with Input DC Output USB 5V DC 5V 9V 12V 3A https://a.co/d/iDcEz7K wouldn’t that eliminate any risk of 32v?

So, since I’m using this: Mini UPS Battery Backup 20000mAh Uninterruptible Power Supply for Router, Modem, Security Camera with Input DC Output USB 5V DC 5V 9V 12V 3A https://a.co/d/iDcEz7K wouldn’t that eliminate any risk of 32v?

Regardless of the UPS, you said you use a "wall wart" 5V AC power adapter. You didn't have any risk of 32V to begin with. This thread has been discussed problems people could have in general, but don't apply to your original question/scenario.

Regardless of the UPS, you said you use a "wall wart" 5V AC power adapter. You didn't have any risk of 32V to begin with. This thread has been discussed problems people could have in general, but don't apply to your original question/scenario.
Yes, I originally had the wall wart and switched to the UPS. Still wondering why no input from SS.

How would they know a Pi was connected?
I could be giving them/the device more credit than I should, I have no clue.

But any device that communicates with another device tends to log that stuff in a very detailed way.

IE, your Wi-Fi router at home would happily tell me the devices it has accepted a connection to.

I'm sorry, I would have to see proof and see what components were used to perform the test which "burned up 100% of the EG4 inverters we've connected".

If this was the case, it seems like it would happen across the board because I doubt any of the different inverters supported by SA could handle an injection of 32v over the com port. I would think that SA would be the first to stop recommending usage in that case because their hardware would be the ones "toasting" these inverters.

Where's all the "burned up" MPPs, Sol-Arks and Growatts?

My guess is either they're BSing, misreading the script, or they used one of the known bad ways to power the RPi in their bench testing. Like a non isolated 48v buck converter off the battery distribution bar.

I took a look at both SA and SS webstores for the serial port and power adapters and they're both way more loosy goosy with spec details or have zero details. So I'm not sure how much either of those companies can fault you if something fries. I didn't look at the manual to see the official guidelines.

Also not sure what the rules are for warranty coverage in the US if you do something that maybe an average educated technician would know not to do, but the company did not explicitly warn you about it.
I just want an official answer from both SS and SolarAssistant regarding this blanket statement that the combination destroys the communication card in the inverter. SA seems to be in the dark about any such problem.
Might need to tag them to get an answer. Or FilterGuy.

I could be giving them/the device more credit than I should, I have no clue.

But any device that communicates with another device tends to log that stuff in a very detailed way.

IE, your Wi-Fi router at home would happily tell me the devices it has accepted a connection to.
It's RS232. Literally 50 years old. There is no association or endpoint information like in WiFi.

The overvoltage might leave obvious damage, or be addressed by replacing the network card.

I have literally been back and forth trying to decide on where to spend my money on new system components. EG4/SS were on my list. Not at all anymore. Thanks for your post.

I have literally been back and forth trying to decide on where to spend my money on new system components. EG4/SS were on my list. Not at all anymore. Thanks for your post.
I'm not saying the products are bad...I'm just confused by support making vague claims. I know others have had problems with Signature. My biggest complaint is the difficulty reaching support in the first place. Slow by email or chat and takes 30 minutes or more just to reach someone by phone.

I'm not saying the products are bad...I'm just confused by support making vague claims. I know others have had problems with Signature. My biggest complaint is the difficulty reaching support in the first place. Slow by email or chat and takes 30 minutes or more just to reach someone by phone.
The main support I trust and use are from some small scale distributors and DMs with forum members...

If I ever bought a SS or EG4 I would probably only get a model familiar to someone that I have such a relationship with already. Or maybe I buy a bleeding edge one at the same time as them so we can suffer in self flagellation together

I'm sure they are aware of the the thread and are exercising restraint by not joining in.. but, what is the story here @Markus_SignatureSolar and @SignatureSolarJames ?

Is the official policy of SS that you can't use a Solar Assistant with 18kpvw (and maybe other inverters) without voiding your warranty on your inverter?
This is not a policy. I am trying to find out if this was actually said. We are looking into this and should have a update soon.

Back