diy solar

diy solar

Solar Assistant with a SolArk and AC coupled micros

Ampster

Renewable Energy Hobbyist
Earlier I started a new thread about my SolArk install but I decided to start this thread about my experience with Solar Assistant.
I purchased the package from Ian at Watts247 and got the SolArk to USB cable as well. I did not use the included 48 volt to USB C adaptor because I already have a 48 volt to 12 volt converter wired to an Elk 12 volt distribution block which powers all my 12 volt components. I found a reasonable 12 V to USB C adaptor on Amazon. The Elk has a convenient on off switch and at least ten outputs that are individually protected. Years ago I discovered my BMs takes more current than one oouput so I just ganged two together to power my BMS. It is very flexible in that way.
I intuitively plugged the RJ45 plug into the RS485 receptacle on the SolArk and nothing happened. I resorted to reading the manual, which in this case was the Solar Assistant help pages and discovered that despite its label the RS485 receptacle was not yet integrated in the SolArk. As soon as plugged it into the CAN receptacle it came to like.
There are several things I like about Solar Assistant. One, its graphs are easy to understand. Two, it includes my DC coupled solar and my AC coupled solar in one place. Three, it is instantaneous and that has been helpful as I tweak my settings in the TOU section.

I am not familiar with Raspbery PIs and that is whyI purchased the package with the preinstalled version of Solar Assistant. I had also read that adding an Solid State Drive was better than using a micro memory card. I found a reasonable one on Amazon but now realize I need some kind of interface to make the SSD drive work with the PI. Does anyone have experience with that and can recommend an interface card or device?

Older Raspberry Pi's I think people would use a USB to SSD adapter. What model exactly is the Raspberry Pi?

How does Solar Assistant play with the Sol-Ark AC coupling? Does the AC coupled solar show up as solar input in Solar Assistant?

I will be setting up AC coupling from my grid tie SolarEdge through my MPP LVX6048WP and assumed I wouldn't be able to get any solar data into Solar Assistant because the solar is not directly connected to the MPP MPPT's. And how could it tell AC coupled solar from any of my other loads in my critical loads panel.

You can buy much higher quality cards that are specially made for many read/write cycles, there is a thread about solar assistant sadness where someone had a card die on them. You can use a PC to copy the image from the old card to the new card, write ups on the interwebs.
Sorry I'm on my phone at the moment so can't look into it better for you

....... What model exactly is the Raspberry Pi?
Raspberry PI Orange which I bought from Watts247
...... Does the AC coupled solar show up as solar input in Solar Assistant?
Yes the AC coupled solar and DC coupled solar show up as one total on Solar Assistant.
I will be setting up AC coupling from my grid tie SolarEdge through my MPP LVX6048WP and assumed I wouldn't be able to get any solar data into Solar Assistant because the solar is not directly connected to the MPP MPPT's. And how could it tell AC coupled solar from any of my other loads in my critical loads panel.
I think you are correct. It would need a separate CT to do that. I presume there is one on the Gen port of the SolArk and that is where the data comes from. Somehow Solar Assistant must use the setting to know solar is connected.

Last edited:
Sounds like its the Orange PI 3 LTS. Like I was saying you could do a usb to m.2 adapter and a m.2 ssd. Or a usb to sata adapter and a ssd with a sata port.

Yes it is the Orange PI 3LTS. I have the SSD and ordered an anapter but the adapter was regular SATA and my drive is smaller and I do not know what they call the connector. The connector is only about one inch wide with lots of gold. Here is a photo of it and the connecotor is at bottom right side.:

SSD connecor.jpg

Yeah, that's a m.2 SSD. Just make sure you match the correct slot type with the adapter:
Screenshot from 2023-01-20 15-21-57.png

The correct cable is coming today. Anything I need to do get Solar Assistant to write to that device? I did not see any setting but once I plug it in the option will show up. I don't care about the current history because it is less than 30 days and mostly constantly changef settings.

I'm interested in how this works out.
To see if I can do it, too.
I need the "for dummies" version. lol

I'm interested in how this works out.
It is not an original idea. I got the idea from others because the MMC cards wear out from the constant read and writes and others have wanted to keep their data separate. Presummably because the MMC card has the boot operating system as well. Yes, I am asking for the "dummies" version as well.
:)

It is not an original idea. I got the idea from others because the MMC cards wear out from the constant read and writes and others have wanted to keep their data separate. Presummably because the MMC card has the boot operating system as well. Yes, I am asking for the "dummies" version as well.
:)
I know
It was mentioned on the thread I started about my SA crashing. But, it seemed over my head. lol

I think you might have problems with the licensing. Look into if the license is saved to the SD card or a different part of the hardware. I've heard license transferring with solar assistant is a royal PITA.

I think you might have problems with the licensing. Look into if the license is saved to the SD card or a different part of the hardware. I've heard license transferring with solar assistant is a royal PITA.
I was hoping to leave the boot card intact. If not I understand one license transfer is allowed but then I have to find out how to configure the new SSD as a boot device? I bought the Raspberry Orange with Solar Assistant already on the MMC card. I did configure another Raspeberry for Home Assistant so it might be a similar process?

I noticed there was an option to clone drive on Balena Etcher. Might come in handy ?‍♂️

BalenaEtcher-installation-on-Debian-11-Bullseye.png

It is and you have to transfer the OS and license to the SSD.

It’s not what I would call beginner friendly to do this conversion.

Back