diy solar

diy solar

Solar Charge Controller always reading 100%

martstokeley

Hey guys,

The solar charge controller in my truck camper is constantly reading 100% charge. This even occurs throughout the night when it is powering a compressor fridge, so does not seem accurate. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Matt

Need to know what charge controller you have and what kind of batteries you are using. Lead acid or lithium.

If it is of any help, this controller is pictures here (back when it was saying the battery was lower than 100% charge)

Hi Matt,
The display of capacity with this type of controller is a best guess, but I would have expe to some change over night. What is the battery volts evening and morning?
Mike

Thanks for your responses guys. So I picked up a multimeter yesterday to try to get further to the bottom of things. I measured the voltage last night right after I turned the compressor fridge in the camper on - 12.47 volts (controller reading 100%). And then again around 6.30am this morning - 12.56 volts (controller reading 100%). The sun was up at that point (sunrise 6am), but very overcast So I guess I'm left to conclude that the fridge draws shockingly little power overnight and the panels receive charge even in overcast conditions to compensate for a whole night of the fridge drawing power?!?

Overcast can still produce power but you're going to be severely limited on wattage.

If it array is large enough that can possibly be enough for a day of fridge power.

Don't forget though that the compressor may cause a voltage drop when turned on that might give you a false sense of charge level. As will any load.

You'll have to keep an eye on charge levels to get a feel for your system on good and bad days.

Back