diy solar

diy solar

Solar charge controller

Kcradar

Hello …
I have 2 delta pro’s with 2 spare batteries.
I have 8- 200 watt panels on 1 side and 7 - 200 watt panels on the other.
Do I need a charge controller for this ?
Thank-you
My email is
Kent.reeder 37@gmail.com

Doesn't the delta pro have a built in solar charge controller ? Even so I don't think it will be able to handle 8x200w panel

Does the delta pro have a DC charging input port ?

Ok , great … I didn’t know if needed a charge controller .
You need to be careful on voltage!
you need to see what the max voltage is and set up the panels to stay in those specs including adjusting for temperature you can’t just hook up a string of panels

I highly recommend going through the manufacturers instructions on this if you don’t you probably will damage your equipment

have 2 delta pro’s with 2 spare batteries.
I have 8- 200 watt panels on 1 side and 7 - 200 watt panels on the other.
Do I need a charge controller
Read the manual for your unit, but I think the delta pro can handle the solar without any further equipment. The panel configuration may have to be adjusted depending on the panel specification. The input port for solar, port 13, is a XT 60 connector, you may need an adapter, or it been provided with the unit.
Maximum allowed input volts are 150 volts and maximum current 15 amps. This is the limit. ( UK specification)

Without knowing the panel specifications, the array setup can not be determined.

For example if the panels were Renogy 200 watt, 10.4 amps, volts open circuit 23, would seem to limit to 6 panels in series. (138 volts). To allow for cold temperature an allowance needs to be made as Voc increases 0.3 to 0.4 % per degree centigrade below 25 deg C (77F)
For example if expected to operate at 0C there will be a voltage increase of 10 to 14 volts. Since this exceeds the maximum votage of 150 volts the series string is limited to 5 panels.
Of course you can have parallel strings, with equal numbers of panels, to increase the input power but you hit the 15 amp limit ( no damage should occur, unlike exceeding the voltage limit, the delta pro just ignores over 15 amps) .

Watch for ideas.

Read the manual for your unit, but I think the delta pro can handle the solar without any further equipment. The panel configuration may have to be adjusted depending on the panel specification. The input port for solar, port 13, is a XT 60 connector, you may need an adapter, or it been provided with the unit.
Maximum allowed input volts are 150 volts and maximum current 15 amps. This is the limit. ( UK specification)

Without knowing the panel specifications, the array setup can not be determined.

For example if the panels were Renogy 200 watt, 10.4 amps, volts open circuit 23, would seem to limit to 6 panels in series. (138 volts). To allow for cold temperature an allowance needs to be made as Voc increases 0.3 to 0.4 % per degree centigrade below 25 deg C (77F)
For example if expected to operate at 0C there will be a voltage increase of 10 to 14 volts. Since this exceeds the maximum votage of 150 volts the series string is limited to 5 panels.
Of course you can have parallel strings, with equal numbers of panels, to increase the input power but you hit the 15 amp limit ( no damage should occur, unlike exceeding the voltage limit, the delta pro just ignores over 15 amps) .

Watch for ideas.
Ok … I appreciate this . I have rich solar panels. I’ve lost my voltage meter and will be getting another one this week .

Ok … I appreciate this . I have rich solar panels. I’ve lost my voltage meter and will be getting another one this week .
I had 6 panels hooked up on both sides this summer and added a few more to 8 on 1 side, 7 on the other . I live in northern Michigan and was worried about the colder temps for the added voltage. Just was wanting to run another test before I store things away . So thank you

Back