diy solar

diy solar

Solar connection to transfer switch: Hard-wire or 30-amp plug?

solar_trees

I'm designing a small solar system that will supply continuous power to a generator transfer switch in my garage for 6 months out of the year and for the other 6 months will be used infrequently(as much as sunshine allows).

I was wondering if it makes sense to connect this system to the transfer switch via the 30-amp input plug that comes with it. The advantages of doing this is I (or a future home-owner) can easily switch from solar to gas if needed, and it seems like it would be a much more straightforward install to just have an electrician install the switch and the outlet rather than wiring it directly to the solar components.

My only concern with this approach is that there are safety or code issues having something connected via a 30-amp plug all the time. Any suggestions on which approach is best?

Especially for a system that isn't UL listed and inspected, plugged inlet and outlet seems like a good way to go. And allows generator as you note.
Be careful with grounding and bonding of neutral, since that becomes a portable system.

PV on roof, or in the yard? Arc-fault and RSD needed for roof of house.

PV on roof, or in the yard? Arc-fault and RSD needed for roof of house.
I'm going to put the PV on the roof of my shed which is a few feet away from the garage, and the generator input would be on the outside of the garage (3 -15 feet from the shed depending on where I put it).

Should be good.
I hardwired mine, through interlocked breakers.
One in a 225A panel, another is a 100A Square-D panel that came with generator input plug. I replace the 100A & 30A with 70A & 70A. Also replaced generator input plug with outlet on GFCI.

I used to have AC input to inverters from same panel, had to remember to manually turn off. Now input is a separate branch, using Polaris connectors to fan out.

It can be good to have multiple PV orientations. That flattens production curve, and gives higher utilization of MPPT input.

Back