diy solar

diy solar

Solar Edge Without Batteries

Toneill

Hi, I have a Solar Edge system installed last year. I decided to wait on batteries as I wasn't impressed with the 2 battery choices offered. Instead of running it through the SE inverter, I'm looking for a 3KWH battery solution that is bundled with an AC charger and 2000 watt inverter. What I want to do is charge off the AC from my SE inverter to use a battery back up solution during a power failure. I already have the SE Backup box installed with a critical loads panel so in a grid down scenario, if it is sunny, I have power most of the day. What I don't want are the solar generators as I don't need the solar charge controller and all the other whistles that make them so expensive. Anyone seen an "all in one" battery solution like that?

What I want to do is charge off the AC from my SE inverter to use a battery back up solution during a power failure. I already have the SE Backup box installed with a critical loads panel so in a grid down scenario, if it is sunny, I have power most of the day.
Have you tested your current system? Will it produce electricity without the grid and no battery?

Have you tested your current system? Will it produce electricity without the grid and no battery?
Yes, it has plenty of excess power to run everything on my critical loads panel by sun only, grid down.

My system has a Backup Interface, and when the grid is down, it runs off battery. If the sun is out, the battery can be charged (I haven't had that situation occur yet, as typically we lose power in Winter storms with no sun). I don't think it is practical without a battery, as any interruption in sunlight will cause immediate impact on production. I recall my installer playing briefly with the system, before my battery arrived, and lights would flicker.

@Toniell "Instead of running it through the SE inverter, I'm looking for a 3KWH battery solution that is bundled with an AC charger and 2000 watt inverter. What I want to do is charge off the AC from my SE inverter to use a battery back up solution during a power failure"

One thing that is nice about the SolarEdge solution is that the batteries are connected to the DC side, meaning excess power from the panels, beyond what the inverter can handle, can be used to charge the battery, versus two round trips (panel DC -> AC -> DC -> charge battery).

If you have the the SE inverter and Backup Interface, you're almost there, with the management of power sources, battery charging, and inversion. Would it be less expensive to get a battery, versus battery charger and inverter?

I started off with something similar but a different approach. Have a SolarEdge grid tie system which regularly produces a little more than I use in the home. The most cost effective solution was a small AIO (Growatt SPF 6000) connected to the grid with a 12k battery, feeding a sub panel with critical loads. Left it in grid bypass mode all the time, so basically a UPS and I wouldn't have to run the generator at night. Worked like a charm.

Last edited:
The drawback of the Solaredge battery concept (only works with LG & SE High Voltage DC batteries) is that they horribly expensive vs all other 48V solar batteries from everywhere else. In addition, my reseller won't even sell them as both of them have problems, basically they don't work as advertised. In my case, I don't need the 9K/10Kwh LG or SE battery, for my needs, 3Kwh (100AH) is plenty for power failure environment, charging by day, critical loads by night, standby generator for cloudy days.

"In addition, my reseller won't even sell them as both of them have problems, basically they don't work as advertised."

Did your reseller elaborate on what problems they have? I have the 16KwH LG battery.

Back