diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panel system making high pitched noise

You need to isolate this problem to either Growatt or Tigo. Try connecting another array to that MPPT input.
I checked the Tigo app. Every single Tigo optimizer is producing. Any issue with a single optimizer would have shown up on the Tigo app display.

I will connect it to a different MPPT input after checking with Growatt tomorrow. I am leaning towards some setting issue in the inverter.

I saw this comment from a Growatt user.....

"Love everything about it except it generates RFI and EMI (radio and electromagnet frequency interference) . So if you care about radio reception or polluting the electromagnet spectrum, do not buy this. Do some research on MPPT chargers and RFI/EMI. I wish I had not bought and installed. I leave it off almost all the time because of the noise it generates."

You are not going to hear RFI with your ears (unless you are an android). This noise has to be from rapidly cycling current at 1 kHz. I suspect one of those Tigos oscillating. Connect known good array to that MPPT input, do not connect this problematic array to another MPPT since that risks damaging another MPPT input in case your problem is with this higher voltage array.

Last edited:
I saw this comment from a Growatt user.....

"Love everything about it except it generates RFI and EMI (radio and electromagnet frequency interference) . So if you care about radio reception or polluting the electromagnet spectrum, do not buy this. Do some research on MPPT chargers and RFI/EMI. I wish I had not bought and installed. I leave it off almost all the time because of the noise it generates."

Wrong sort of "noise", RFI and EMI is definitely not audible.

Connect known good array to that MPPT input, do not connect this problematic array to another MPPT since that risks damaging another MPPT input in case your problem is with this higher voltage array.
In addition, I would bypass all Tigos to make sure faulty MPPT does not damage them. Verify that noise is gone then reconnect Tigos.

NGL, I understand that posts like this are meant in part to help with brainstorming but there seems to be very little adjustment in approach/intaking of new techniques. As such I’ll dip out for a few days to see if there are any updates.

Wrong sort of "noise", RFI and EMI is definitely not audible.

@Hedges and gas cookers, don't forget gas cookers!

Pretty well any somewhat corroded metal-to-metal junction can create a rectifier (POWs used rusty razor blades to pick up the BBC), given sufficient broadcast power, become audible.

Suggestions on troubleshooting have been given.
If you don't intend to attempt finding the issue. I'm not sure how we can help any further.

Growatt tech support just made a change to the inverter setting. So far, I have not heard the noise but will wait until a full sunny day to confirm. Below is the explanation given...

"Basically all the mppts were trying to match voltage causing the current to be significantly skewed for your higher voltage strings (PV2 and 3).
It didnt't throw an error because all values were still within the inverter's range."

Suggestions on troubleshooting have been given.
If you don't intend to attempt finding the issue. I'm not sure how we can help any further.
I appreciate all the responses. I waited to proceed with the troubleshooting steps due to doubts about proper inverter settings. See the response I just posted.

Back