diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel upgrade

kjohnson421

Newbie here! I've read several posts and don't really see an answer to my question, so figured I'd post here.

Looking to add some additional solar panels to our Montana HIgh Country RV. Our High Country has the 200i SolarFlex package with inverter that was factory installed. So, from the factory it came with a single 200 watt solar panel. Below is a URL with a diagram that was published by Keystone for this system.

The thing I'm really struggling with is what solar panel can I add to this. Looking at the panel in the diagram from Keystone, it appears this is a 24V 200 watt panel. I purchased a 12V 200W Renogy panel not knowing this was 24v (or so it appears). Since the new panel and existing panel are matched wattages, but different voltages, can I just hook these up in series? Is there any negative impact from doing this?

SolarFlex 200i Diagram

I got a security alert when I tried the link to your system diagram.

Generally speaking, it is a bad idea to put different panels in series. Without more details on both of the panels, it is hard to say how well it will work.

As a general rule of thumb, the Imp the system will see will be the lower of the two panels. As a wild ball-park you will get 300W or less (Total) if you add your new panel in series with the old one.

diy solar

diy solar
Back