diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panel Warranty

400bird

Solar Wizard
Well, I never thought I'd need the warranty on my solar panels, but here I am.
5 years into the 25 year warranty.

Anyways, on to my story.
Yesterday evening, I logged into the Solar Edge monitoring platform and had this alert:

Solar Edge Alert.png

I like how at the end they basically says, our stuff isn't the cause here, this is your panel.

Anywho, here's panel level voltage for that array. The one obviously stands out.
Solar Edge Panel Voltage.png

Here's energy output today. Module 1.1.9 has the bad panel.
1.1.1-1.1.4 are different panels, hence the higher output on the west facing array.
All the other panels are the same Solaria PowerXT 325 installed in 2018.

1693868080366.png

Here it is over the past month or so, looks like it had some good days and some bad days.

Solar Edge Panel Voltage C.png

Just for reference, here's the output of both arrays, you can see the south facing array peaks higher and earlier that the west facing array (which includes the bad panel)
The lower performance on the west facing array is due to direction, not the one degraded panel.
Solar Edge Panel Wattage D.png

A little history, one of the panels/optimizers was acting oddly last year, it would have lower output on hot summer days. Here's a random summer day in 2022:
Solar Edge Panel Voltage B.png

Along with some other work I was doing over the winter, I swapped the panel position onto a different optimizer. The fault followed the panel and now is nearly constant.

I pulled the panel today, and took some measurements:
OCV: 43.6 volts
ISC: 5.7 amps
It was about 8:30 am, but we pointed the panel straight at the sun, couldn't get it above 6 amps.
I wasn't sure on the current I should expect with a well aimed panel, the sun had been up for about 2 hours and was at about 20°
So, after inspecting the MC4 connectors, I put it all back together.
Panel spec sheet:
1693866579641.png

5 hours later, the sun is high in the sky and I grabbed the thermal imager and now I can see the problem for sure.
Sorry for the crappy alignment between the visual and thermal cameras. The sun was washing out the display so I couldn't see it at all. I just blindly took a bunch of pics and came inside to view them.

1693866936724.png

Just for reference, here's the next panel over (south). You can see the reflection of the sun (bottom left) and an increase in temp above the junction box (top center) on both panels. But the bad panel has a warm area where all the other panels are a pretty even temp.
With how the thermal imager redefines the temp to color, I suppose the bottom half could be cold and causing the problem, but considering it's down about 1/4 of its output and 1/4 is hot, I've made my conclusion.
1693867426461.png
I purchased these through Renvu locally. I sent them an email just to see if they had any leg up on the warranty process before I hunt down Solaria's warranty process directly.

Wish me luck!
I don't really have any questions now, just documenting my process.

Oh, any for everyone that says panel level monitoring is overrated, all I can say is that there is no way I would have noticed the loss of 50 watts (or 300Wh per day) to even know to go looking for this issue without panel level information.

Renvu responded this morning with a web address (useless) and phone number for Solaria. The website is useless, I can't find anywhere to progress further and actually make the claim.
I didn't get to call the number until 6:30, but the voicemail message sounded like an individual's cell, not a business

Maybe someone else can find the warranty like or email on that page.

Renvu responded this morning with a web address (useless) and phone number for Solaria. The website is useless, I can't find anywhere to progress further and actually make the claim.
I didn't get to call the number until 6:30, but the voicemail message sounded like an individual's cell, not a business

Maybe someone else can find the warranty like or email on that page.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230906-175925.jpg
    Screenshot_20230906-175925.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 8
Did that show up on my link? It's basically just a blank page when it loads here.

Thanks for the email address! I'll give it a shot.

Screenshot_20230906-202033.png

Maybe that's the difference, I didn't try anything other than Chrome. I didn't realize duckduckgo had a browser, I'll check it out.

Anyways, thanks for clicking the link. I sent them an email last night.

What a frustrating experience. I called, emailed, and called again. I had left a few messages.
Well, on Monday (last Monday 9/11) I got frustrated and just started trying random extensions, left a few more messages, but never was put on hold, just sent to voicemail every single time. I tried all 5-8 extensions on their phone tree.

I finally got a call back on Tuesday (9/12)!
She said, the warranty process was simple, go to another website. Click a link and back to the same website I linked above ?
I tell her it's basically blank. The response: "oh, you have to accept all the cookies for the form to show up"

What a stupid system! There's no indication that a form will populate if you accept the cookies, just a useless webpage. I don't like their web developers.

Oh well, i jumped through their few hoops, including giving them access to my Solar Edge data. Warranty replacement approved and the replacement panel should ship soon.

I realize now that I missed an update. The replacement panel arrived a couple weeks back.

A single panel
Shipped freight all by itself.
Perfect condition.
Makes me wonder why so many vendors *cough * sig solar* cough* had issues shipping panels for such a long time.

As a bonus, the replacement panel is rated at 370 watts, vs the original 325 watt panels.

Anyways, I finally installed it today.
PXL_20231020_161300582.jpg

Wow, really makes the rest of them look filthy!

And the data backs that up the power loss, hopefully just dirt. Hopefully, I can clean them all tomorrow.

The right most column are 365 watt panels.
There's a big production gap between the 325 watt panels (most of them), the 365 watt panels, and the brand new 370 watt panel.

Screenshot_20231020-173410.png

Glad you got it worked out and actually got a replacement panel, despite some hoop jumping, you actually got them to acknowledge, honor and fulfill the warranty.

Good on them and good for you!

Once the website thing was figured out, it was actually pretty easy and painless. I even got an upgraded panel!
did you keep the faulty panel?
what is the root cause of the failure?
would opening the control panel and checking the diodes isolate what failed?
could a new diode fix that panel? (create a spare?)

did you keep the faulty panel?+
I still have it, but Solaria requested pics of the junction box and may ask for it back. I sent the pics on Saturday, so I should have answers early this week.
what is the root cause of the failure?
would opening the control panel and checking the diodes isolate what failed?
could a new diode fix that panel? (create a spare?)
Fingers crossed, I hope so. Once (and if) I get the clear from Solaria, I'm planning to open up the junction box to find out!

Yes, please keep us updated on what you find when you open up the junction box. Take lots of pictures!

Those are some really dirty panels. You'd probably get 20% more power if you cleaned them up! :)

Yes, please keep us updated on what you find when you open up the junction box. Take lots of pictures!
Hopefully, I get to open it up.

Those are some really dirty panels. You'd probably get 20% more power if you cleaned them up! :)
Not even close ;)

Email from Solaria came this morning ?
I'm not sure I'll have time to open the junction box on the panel this weekend, we've got some family coming over.

Screenshot_20231027-070835.png

I found some time today, I'm sure that I am insufferable.

Anyways, here's the junction box.
1698451977369.png

I assumed it was glued closed, so I walked out with a heat gun and thin prying spatula thing I use for stuff like this. Then, I look at it, see the little screw driver signs at the two bottom corners, and it pops right off, no fuss!

No obvious issues.
1698452062796.png

All the solar connections just unclip easily, so I tested all the diodes.
1698452301509.png
All were OL in the correct direction and really low voltage in the correct direction (0.3 volts?) I thought I got pics of the meter, but I did not, they were even, nothing stood out.

So, I started testing voltage. All 4 sections put out about the same 10 volts open circuit.
I realized then, that I needed to load the the circuit to find the issue. So, I grabbed a 4Ω power resistor I had laying around.
1698452211402.png
3 of the sections tested about the same.

But the 4th!
1698452247142.png

Then, I saw the problem that had been right in front of my face the entire time. You can actually see it in the 1st and 3rd pic above.
1698452359854.png

Anyone have a suggestion on how I reattach these two conductors? It is about 1/4" wide. Anyone want have an 18650 spot welder in the California Central Valley or East Bay and want to give it a try? I don't think soldering against the back of the solar cells is a good idea.
1698452397857.png

Attachments

• 1698452268015.png
    1698452268015.png
    630.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back