diy solar

diy solar

Solar panels mounted on roof, questions about wiring and proper mounting

joesmith123

I need to mount tons of solar panels on top of a shed

Also, I do have a prius generator now going into a 6000 watt sungoldpower inverter

Few fundamental questions:

How do I wire it to take power from the solar panels AND the prius high voltage?

I need both power sources (prius and solar panels) to go into a battery bank that is big enough

Anyone have a reliable way of mounting the solar panels without putting holes into the roof?

I did see standing seam brackets that put holes sideways instead of going into the actual roof

What size battery bank do you recommend for this situation? It is about 900 sq feet of intense sun

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• roof1.jpeg
    roof1.jpeg
    427.6 KB · Views: 26
  • roof2.jpeg
    roof2.jpeg
    358.5 KB · Views: 27
  • roof3.jpeg
    roof3.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 26
I need to mount tons of solar panels on top of a shed

Also, I do have a prius generator now going into a 6000 watt sungoldpower inverter

Few fundamental questions:

How do I wire it to take power from the solar panels AND the prius high voltage?

I need both power sources (prius and solar panels) to go into a battery bank that is big enough

Anyone have a reliable way of mounting the solar panels without putting holes into the roof?

I did see standing seam brackets that put holes sideways instead of going into the actual roof

What size battery bank do you recommend for this situation? It is about 900 sq feet of intense sun

Thanks in advance
RE: mouning brackets/clamps

I mounted 14kw of panels on my shop using the S-5 mounts. My shop roof is R panel but they make them for standing seam as well. I had to drill holes in the sides of the ridges but on standing seam they make a clamp on that doesn't penetrate the roof.

When running the generator into your inverter it firstly, bypasses power to your loads, but the inverter runs backwards to make dc power to charge your batteries with whatever power available after covering your loads. When you have PV connected it simply charges your batteries through the inverter only. You won't get any loads powered with the inverter because it is running in reverse charging your batteries with tha ac power from the genny.

What you want to do is draw all needed power from PV before drawing any from your prius battery.
I don't know how to do that with your inverter.

Two approaches I think of:

1) Get a hybrid that uses HV battery. I'm waiting to see what SMA Smart Energy can do. It will probably take a 100V to 500V battery and 150V to 600V PV. It needs BMS communication to control battery charging.

2) AC couple. Configure one GT PV inverter fed by prius battery to curtail output as frequency ramps up from 60.5 Hz to 61 Hz, and another GT PV inverter fed by solar panels to curtail as frequency ramps up further from 61 Hz to 61.5 Hz. (Or AC couple prius battery, DC couple PV.)

You may want to switch connection to Prius battery.

RE: mouning brackets/clamps

I mounted 14kw of panels on my shop using the S-5 mounts. My shop roof is R panel but they make them for standing seam as well. I had to drill holes in the sides of the ridges but on standing seam they make a clamp on that doesn't penetrate the roof.

I am looking at those "S-5" mounts, and it does not look like they can mount to the roof I have, from what I am gathering, mine roof style is "ribbed"

All the clamps I am seeing listed look like they mount into standing seam

When running the generator into your inverter it firstly, bypasses power to your loads, but the inverter runs backwards to make dc power to charge your batteries with whatever power available after covering your loads. When you have PV connected it simply charges your batteries through the inverter only. You won't get any loads powered with the inverter because it is running in reverse charging your batteries with tha ac power from the genny.

Sorry if I did not yet fully communicate the setup but I will make a drawing and post it tomorrow

I need Solar (I'll hook them up in series and make them 200+ volts) and the prius (200 volt direct current) to pump into the sungoldpower chinese inverter

Sungoldpower pumps split phase AC into regular house fuse panel (240VAC)

There is only one PV input on the sungoldpower inverter, can I just connect the positives and the negatives into the one PV input terminal on the sungoldpower inverter?

Two charge controllers.

Yes I would like to understand what this means exactly

I am assuming there is a charge controller inside the chinese inverter

Can I just hook up the two inputs, solar and prius, into the chinese inverter PV input, wired in parallel since it does not have two separate inputs?

Wouldn't it just use its charge controller capabilities to take in solar power and use that for load/charge up batteries, then at night when there is no solar, it would demand power from the prius to charge batteries/power load?

Ah, you're right of course. I didn't look closely at the photo. Just responded to the question about standing seam. S-5 makes the brackets for those, too. That's what I used. But you do have penetrations on either side of the rib.

Will the penetrations go down directly into the roof and cause maybe a leak later?

Maybe I am too worried about a non issue, maybe I can use those metal roof screws that have a rubber seal and that would work just fine

I am fixing to get about 65 of these panels

The voc is 43.2 volts

How would I go about wiring these properly so that the voltage is proper for the sungoldpower chinese inverter?

Shooting from the hip, 5 of them in series would make 215-220 volt

rough math: 65/5=13

Would I have 13 panels wired in parallel, then I would have the 5 sets connected in series, would that give me the right voltage?

I'll make a drawing later once they're mounted/I'm at that bridge

Also, how many 12 volt batteries do you recommend for this setup? The sun is tremendously strong, there is a ton of air conditioning necessary

Ideally, I would like to to not use the prius at all, its a huge hassle filling it up gasoline, its running hot trying to keep up, I'm going through a tank in about 2 days, as opposed a week during winter

Edit: being realistic, how many 12 volt batteries would suffice if I am running a window AC unit, and a standard size fridge?

I am willing to hook up 20-30 batteries, it if means that I can run AC and fridge overnight, and prius does not have to burden me with upkeep

Attachments

• 343936096_6311276578961959_7127881492783067364_n.jpeg
    343936096_6311276578961959_7127881492783067364_n.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Yes I would like to understand what this means exactly
Connect each one to a different charge controller.
Can I just hook up the two inputs, solar and prius, into the chinese inverter PV input, wired in parallel since it does not have two separate inputs?
No
Not if it only has one charge controller.
You will need second charge controller.
Wouldn't it just use its charge controller capabilities to take in solar power and use that for load/charge up batteries, then at night when there is no solar, it would demand power from the prius to charge batteries/power load?
If you want to manually switch which one is connected at the different times.

Connect each one to a different charge controller.

No
Not if it only has one charge controller.
You will need second charge controller.

If you want to manually switch which one is connected at the different times

Ok, how would the two charge controllers connect to the sungoldpower inverter?

From what I am gathering: Solar and prius -> 2 separate charge controllers -> chinese inverter -> load

No I do not want to manually switch, I would like to leave for a month and not worry about the fridge shutting off

Not to the inverter.
The charge controller connects to the battery.

Oh i see, meaning the 12 volt batteries that make 48 volt that connect to the sungoldpower inverter

Ok from what I am gathering:

Solar -> PV input on chinese sungoldpower -> load

Prius -> charge controller -> big battery bank -> load

Do I have that right?

Back