diy solar

diy solar

Solar panels mounted on roof, questions about wiring and proper mounting

So long as he doesn't electrocute himself or burn something down, it's all good.

I do know what they mean how I could be annoying

after understanding, I go back and see how dumb my ideas are and how my questions make it seem like I have no clue what I am doing

It’s fine to want to learn, everyone starts off without specific knowledge. But this thread is a great example of how a lot of posters on forums solicit expert advice, get it, and push ahead ignoring most of the advice.

I have done exactly what the forum told me to do

I started with grid tie inverter, they led to get off grid inverter (the right one that can take high voltage)

Now: they said, get the combiner box,

i got the combiner box

Then: they said, you might need a charge controller (tim electric and hedges both recommended)

Now: I try to make it work without charge controller, then get the charge controller and hook it up how they told me

And somehow OP writes posts in a way that really promotes engagement, far beyond the engagement that much more sane / educational questions get

Yes because if one is suffering and needs to fix their problem, they're going to write posts that trigger engagement and solve their problem

If one is sitting in air conditioned and sleeping deep, and not filling up a generator every two days, pumping gasoline, paying paying paying, the trouble of it all, for years straight, then yes, their posts might promote less engagement

would a coat of paint between treated lumber and the panel frame be sufficient to prevent corrosion ? it's great that joesmith is recycling/repurposing the old panels. If there's space, used panels are best $/w; plus sweat labor install. I think I have 16x of the SharpND-187U1 installed in 2007, can't detect any degradation, albeit don't do very precised measurement, just a rough check via utility (PGE)'s solar graph. The FroniusIG-3000 grid-tie finally died dec2022, probaby due to crazy hot summer 2022. Replace with a cheapy Growatt MIC3K for $400, seems to work even better as it starts at a lower voltage.
Salvaged a bunch of panels out of the dumpster last year, all with MC3, and some M215 Enphase, so appreciate this thread very much. Looking at a cheap AOI, like this one: ($299+shipping)
for an off-grid carport, AC coupled to the Enphase.

would a coat of paint between treated lumber and the panel frame be sufficient to prevent corrosion ? it's great that joesmith is recycling/repurposing the old panels. If there's space, used panels are best $/w; plus sweat labor install. I think I have 16x of the SharpND-187U1 installed in 2007, can't detect any degradation, albeit don't do very precised measurement, just a rough check via utility (PGE)'s solar graph. The FroniusIG-3000 grid-tie finally died dec2022, probaby due to crazy hot summer 2022. Replace with a cheapy Growatt MIC3K for $400, seems to work even better as it starts at a lower voltage.
Salvaged a bunch of panels out of the dumpster last year, all with MC3, and some M215 Enphase, so appreciate this thread very much. Looking at a cheap AOI, like this one: ($299+shipping)
for an off-grid carport, AC coupled to the Enphase.
Will this,230 volt, single phase unit work for your purposes? I see it says 220 volt but I think that's a typo. Look into the stats and it looks like a European voltage model.

Will this,230 volt, single phase unit work for your purposes? I see it says 220 volt but I think that's a typo. Look into the stats and it looks like a European voltage model.
240vac output is user selectable. I actually prefer 240vac, smaller wire gauge/half the current, my plan is to charge my EV anyway and EVSE ("charger") are 240vac. My current outage setup is with an AOI (MPP5648UGK) + 5kw autotransformer, working as expected so far.

joesmith: My first alert, with the wood (2x4?) running across the steel roof horizontally in the initial mounting, is the potential for leaves/debris blocking during heavy rain. May be it's not a problem where you are, but there's a lot of stuff flying all over the roof here during a storm, am in the mountain with load of trees

OK I see 3 different voltages referenced in the manual. Less confused. I still don't see Split phase anywhere. Is this unit intended to operate in Europe, the USA, or both?
can be both USA & EU, but for US install, have to make sure about the AC grounding stuff, as the EU's AC has one line as ground.

would a coat of paint between treated lumber and the panel frame be sufficient to prevent corrosion ?
The chemicals in the lumber are the issue. If the chemicals can't migrate though the paint it would work. I use thin plastic between metal straps and treated lumber to prevent corrosion. The fasteners are coated so they don't corrode in the treated wood. Cad plated lag bolts corroded quickly.

what about galvanized fasteners ? probably ok touching treated lumber and not sure touching alunimum frame. Stainless steel is for sure the best

Back