diy solar

diy solar

Solar panels mounted on roof, questions about wiring and proper mounting

i would extend the wires to the inverter. It is a nice break from being on the hot roof. It is just a sequence issue that does not affect the functionality.

As I said earlier, you know your situation better than we do. Do what you need to do, we each have offered our input, but this is your money, your life your decision. I truely hope the panels are decent and you get good use out of them, and solve your urgent issue concerning generators.
On cash private deals, I have found a nice thick stack of $100 bills is a great incentived for the seller to negotiate.
My favorite is put $2,000 in an envelope (and the rest in your pocket) see it they will accept 2,000 for 74 panels...when people see the cash, especially if they feel you just might drive away, they often strike a deal.
I have done the $100 bills thing so many times! It almost always works.

I have done the $100 bills thing so many times! It almost always works
Yeah, as long as the seller doesn't catch on the OP is in a hurry, and feeling kinda stuck.
I would leave the trailer somewhere out of sight until the deal is struck, don't want to appear too eager.
The other thing to do is test the first few panels and put 4 out of 5 in the 'reject' stack, make a sad face...look at the truck a few times...
Unlikely the seller has any idea how to check the panels...unless they are a member of DIY Solar Forum...Reading this right now as a pick up truck and trailer pull into their yard! Ut-oh. LOL.
But if they get the idea the panels are not testing up to what the buyer was expecting, they just may be open to negotiate.
If they have 78 panels to sell, and the OP offers to take them all, at a discount rather than 64 maybe they will cut a deal.
Cash is definitely king.

panels3.jpegpanels2.jpegpanels1.jpeg

Ok I finally got them

Good news: all of them tested around 40 volts

However: testing for current did not work out

It was giving unreliable numbers

Then on the drive home I am thinking: Where is the current flowing to that it can get a current reading?

In a previous post with the high voltage prius showing 6.1 amps is because that is actually happening, the fridge and the ac were running

No discount, but gave me hundreds of dollars in mounting equipment,

I'll maybe use them if I can figure out how they work, pictures later

I'm thinking of putting 2x4s in between the ribs, glue the 2x4s directly onto the metal roof, then get some kind of bracket that will push down on the solar panel and fasten it to the 2x4s

In this case, the 2x4s would be parallel to ribs

Another idea: screw in 2x4s perpendicular to the ribs going the long way of the shed

Then screw down those 2x4s to the top of the rib, do not puncture the wood, but get the screw into the metal, at the top of the rib

Since the hole will be above where the water runs, no water should get in, and seal the 2x4 in that area

Now I'll go work on it and figure it out

image_50391809.JPG

Decided to put metal self tap-ins in 2x4s at the high part of the rib

The first one pictured is not mounted, but I figured out a mount from the free stuff from seller

Edit: I'll mount them with the wire still being accessible, maybe put some space in between them for wiring

Later: figure out wiring setup

The one good thing about the 2x4s is that they're giving another inch and half of distance of where heat is striking the building

The 2x4 plus the thickness of the panel = good to keep heat out

Last edited:
If those are treated 2 x 4's. You need a barrier between them and the panels. The wood treatment will eat the aluminum.

IMG_0546.jpeg
Panels mounted reading 220 volt, very similar to prius image.jpg

Here's a rough look at all the components that will be used

In the photo: those 4 220 volt panels is actually 4 sets of 6 panels wired in series

I have a PVI6000 Grid Tie inverter also available, that has 2 PV inputs

Right now, I am still planning this project out

Shoot from the hip and tell me generally how to make this thing work

My thoughts: connect the solar panels to the Grid tie inverter ONLY

Connect the prius to the Chinese off grid inverter

Use the PVI6000 grid tie inverter to collect the solar, and pump that into a "grid" made up of massive 48 volt battery bank

Use the Chinese Inverter to get power from the prius when no solar is available (night time, cloudy, etc)

Talk to me generally how I can make this work

I know that my lines are off, but those are all the components

Another detail: PVI6000 does NOT connect to 48 volt battery bank, it has: 2 PV inputs, and a grid input/output (hot, hot, neutral, ground)

How can I get the pvi6000 to pump into a 48 volt battery bank?

Chinese inverter does have: 1 PV input (positive, negative), grid output (hot hot, neutral), and I think grid input (hot, hot, neutral), and the 48 Volt battery bank connection

Last edited:
IMG_0547.jpeg

Here's a more simplified diagram

In this case, all the power from the panels goes into the grid tie american inverter, then it pumps it into 240VAC into the house panel

If there is too much power coming in and not being used, will it go from the house panel (240VAC) into the chinese off grid inverter and stored into the 48 volt battery bank?

The chinese inverter does have BOTH 240VAC input, and 240VAC output

In my head, I feel like this would work, without the need for more components but we will see what you guys think

Last edited:
Pictures of the current plan

Feel free to draw on the the photo of how to wire quantity 16, 12 volt batteries to create 48 volt outcome

Also: Is there a part that exist where I can have multiple PV inputs? In the diagram, I wrote it as "pv input multiplier"

I want to have as many as 6 separate PV inputs, and safely feed that power into 16 battery bank

edit: the chinese inverter only has 1 pv input, I want to multiply it correctly, I need up to 4 inputs

thanks in advance

Attachments

• F373E3C2-1E8A-4517-8B2B-4EEE60B87D10.jpeg
    F373E3C2-1E8A-4517-8B2B-4EEE60B87D10.jpeg
    215.7 KB · Views: 4
  • E4D2ACDF-D7A1-43FF-A157-B17951AF52E7.jpeg
    E4D2ACDF-D7A1-43FF-A157-B17951AF52E7.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
This thread is either someone trolling, or someone who should never be spending money on solar products, hope it's the former, but suspect it's the latter..

This thread is either someone trolling, or someone who should never be spending money on solar products, hope it's the former, but suspect it's the latter..
There’s plenty of other long threads from OP that you can use to decide.

And somehow OP writes posts in a way that really promotes engagement, far beyond the engagement that much more sane / educational questions get. I’d rather not explicitly editorialize but maybe you can infer how I feel about that.

There’s plenty of other long threads from OP that you can use to decide.

And somehow OP writes posts in a way that really promotes engagement, far beyond the engagement that much more sane / educational questions get. I’d rather not explicitly editorialize but maybe you can infer how I feel about that.

I know how it is annoying from your perspective, but I am figuring it out, and making good progress

With our suggestions, Joe went from trying to use GT PV inverter fed by Prius for grid-forming, to using an AIO with Prius to PV input and 4x automotive starting batteries for 48V battery, and it could then start and run larger power tools.

He's thinking about and trying out ideas many of us have had.
So long as he doesn't electrocute himself or burn something down, it's all good.

Primary limitation is embedded firmware, which constrains most of us.

With our suggestions, Joe went from trying to use GT PV inverter fed by Prius for grid-forming, to using an AIO with Prius to PV input and 4x automotive starting batteries for 48V battery, and it could then start and run larger power tools.

He's thinking about and trying out ideas many of us have had.
So long as he doesn't electrocute himself or burn something down, it's all good.

Primary limitation is embedded firmware, which constrains most of us.

Yes i understand my ideas are beginner/dumb/annoying to those that are in the "know"

I have no one that can help me, you guys are all i got

It’s fine to want to learn, everyone starts off without specific knowledge. But this thread is a great example of how a lot of posters on forums solicit expert advice, get it, and push ahead ignoring most of the advice.

Haste makes waste, and there’s only so much you can do to stop someone who’s fixed their mind on doing the wrong thing because it’s easier.

PS paint or treat that wood or its going rot and at the very least be a pain to fix. Or worst case your panels are going to get ripped off the roof during high winds and someone’s going to get hurt.

Back