diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panels not producing enough

javiermi

Hi

I have a small home roof install: 10x225 w plus a Sunny Boy 2100TL inverter
We installed the system 10 years ago, but only recently started looking at the stats
I've checked and the MAXIMUM power I ever get is 1.8KW, which is way short of the expect 2250 W my system should give
Even If I deduct 10% ( 1% per annun), I should get a minimum of 2KW
I am wondering if this is because the Inverter maximum is 2200W, so is kind of "clipping" the maximum output
As i said, I don't know if this always being the case or a ercent development, as I did NOT check the solar production until very recently
I was thinking of replacing the inverter with a slighltly bigger Sunny Boy ( 3Kw-4Kw, or around)
This will also allow me to add a couple of extra panels
I have an EV , so was trying to chage the car with the excess solar, but the minimum the charger allows is 6A, so around 1.5KW, so its a bit short to charge the car and at the same time to power the house ( around 400W)
I have looked and found a couple of second hand SB inverters in Ebay, but I'm not sure is worth spending money

What do you think?

P.S.
I also found some faulty inverters so being an Electronic hobyist , thought they may be easy to repair, but I have no experience on Inverters, so any advise will be appreciated

pretty much every online estimation tool i've used has noted that you can expect around 80% overall efficiency. what you're describing sounds exactly right to me.

when testing the output of my brand new 250w panels, in perfect conditions and placement.... i still couldn't get them to their rated power. was only ~95% of rating. this is expected.

Have you considered the option of adding panels to the inverter you already have? That would be the cheapest way to bump you up over ~1.9kw, but long term if you are trying to charge an EV i suspect you are planning a more substantial upgrade than that.

I agree the number is pretty normal. It might have been higher in the beginning but 10 years on i think your equipment is doing just fine.

If you want to have a 1.5kw load going on for hours (EV charging) you should probably plan on doubling or more your solar so that it's not dropping under that threshold with every passing cloud.

Back