diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panels to Charge Controller

nailer

I have a spot I would like to put my panels. But it is 65' to 75' away from the cabin. Anything special that I would have to do. I understand that there will be some loss in the wire.
I have a 24v system Epever controller
3000w inverter. 100ah battery right now.
Ordering cells soon to replace it.
Thanks
David

There are two important things to do with a long run from the panels to the controller.

1) Maximize your PV voltage. You want the smallest current and highest voltage you can get in order to minimize the voltage drop/power loss. What is the max voltage of the Epever? As I recall, most of the EPever controllers have a PV voltage of ~150V. Once you adjust for cold temperatures this may limit you to around 120-130V for the array Voc. The actual value depends on the lowest historical temp and the temp coefficient of your panels.

2) Maximize your wire size. The larger the wire size, the lower the voltage drop you will have.

Copper can be painfully expensive so it is always good to run a couple of scenarios.

A) With the EPever, what will the heavy wire cost?
B) If I replace the EPever with a controller that can take higher voltage, will the lower wire cost make up the difference?

With longer wires, get the voltage higher and amps lower - so more panels in series. Also thicker wire will help as well - but that costs more.

What are your solar panels, the label on the panels and the specs on the SCC. You will want to design the panel system to maximize the voltage- but keep it safely under the max voltage the SCC can handle under the coldest temp your area has seen.

How are you planning on running the wire?
In the air,
On the ground
Under the ground
Direct bury
In conduit
Copper vs Alum wire.

Design everything before buying- with longer runs of wire it may cost less to buy an expensive SCC (Solar charge controller) that can handle really high voltage so cheaper wire than a cheaper SCC with thicker more expensive wire.

It all depends on how much solar you want to install.

My panels are ones that I had in a different system. I have 10 - 100w panels. Now that panels are coming down I may upgrade soon. But trying to get the cabin dried in by winter. Panels may have to wait a bit.
I am going to start building my own batteries so I can always regroup them to a 48v system. I know I need to grow change my system. I can keep the 24v stuff at the house for a backup system during power outages.
Wire would be underground in conduit
Thanks Again for the replies I am sure I will have more questions.

Last edited:
About the cheapest large gauge wire I've found is service entrance URD aluminum triplex. It does not require conduit and plenty heavy enough to handle a large array, even at lower voltages. Just a thought.

Oh, forgot. It was mentioned that in some areas, it is code to partially backfill the trench and lay yellow or red ribbon the length of the trench to signify the cable below, the idea being that if anyone were to dig to close to the line, they would see the ribbon before hitting the line. Seems like a good idea.

Back