diy solar

diy solar

Solar Power Controllers

JEL Flats TX

Hello, I am very new to all this. So, I currently have a system monitoring a trap. One 100watt solar panel, controller, and battery. I am using an Eco Worthy 30 amp controller. I have a wifi hot spot that connects vis USB port on the controller and an infrared light 12v. My controller only has one place to connect the light. I want to connect two lights without having to splice wires together. I would like to be able to connect other 12v lights to the controller. Is there a controller that allows for more than one device to be connected to it?

again I am very new and got all of my equipment from Amazon so I am not even sure exactly what is out there.

Many times the LOAD port on the PWM controllers are very light duty and really aren't used for that reason. Most common practice is to connect all your loads to the battery rather than the LOAD terminals on the controller. Unless you need a specific function that the controller provides like day/night switching or the like.

Yes wire what ever you want 12v wise (within reason) straight to the battery pos & neg terminals accordingly. Very simple

Its the same with inverters, and solar charge controllers , everything gets wired to the battery.

The battery is like a hub in the centre of a wheel

Yes wire what ever you want 12v wise (within reason) straight to the battery pos & neg terminals accordingly. Very simple

Its the same with inverters, and solar charge controllers , everything gets wired to the battery.

The battery is like a hub in the centre of a wheel
so the accessories that you are wanting power to (infrared lights) should wire direct to battery? Ok so what is the purpose for the controller to have the connection for something going out? So I have my controller which the solar panel and battery are connected to it. what is the purpose of the other connections? I currently have the infrared light on it but if I understand what you are saying I should have the light connected direct to the battery

Many times the LOAD port on the PWM controllers are very light duty and really aren't used for that reason. Most common practice is to connect all your loads to the battery rather than the LOAD terminals on the controller. Unless you need a specific function that the controller provides like day/night switching or the like.
ok so can you explain your comment "unless you need a specific function that the controller provides like day/night switching or the like". I do not understand that part (again I am very green when it comes to this stuff). the lights have an eye and will turn on at dusk and off at dawn. the controller does not have that at all

so the accessories that you are wanting power to (infrared lights) should wire direct to battery? Ok so what is the purpose for the controller to have the connection for something going out? So I have my controller which the solar panel and battery are connected to it. what is the purpose of the other connections? I currently have the infrared light on it but if I understand what you are saying I should have the light connected direct to the battery

the charge controller does have a small output for lights, like you have been using ... And that's fine , it's what it's their for . It's for small loads like led lights ect ect.

You'd have to look at the manual but it will be like 5amps/10amps max output (10amps X 12 volts = 120watts max output)

So you can connect lights to the battery, or the charge controller, or a combination of the two

The controller LOAD ports are mostly an afterthought on PWM controllers and do have a couple of uses, but they're not that great. Many of the PWM controllers out there can use those LOAD terminals for some small lights or charging of small devices (like the USB ports on many PWM controllers) or use them as control on a day/night timer function that is usually built in. Mostly though it's there so it looks to the customer that you're getting additional functionality that you really aren't.

ok so can you explain your comment "unless you need a specific function that the controller provides like day/night switching or the like". I do not understand that part (again I am very green when it comes to this stuff). the lights have an eye and will turn on at dusk and off at dawn. the controller does not have that at all
Many controllers have it programmed in to switch the load on and off when it detects the solar panels aren't getting sun it assumes it's night and turns on the load port. It can act as a day/night switch that way.

The load port usually has adjustable programming by time and-or voltage to limit the loads run time and limit the battery discharge.
Direct to the battery, the loads will be powered continuous.

Back