diy solar

diy solar

solar suitcase hardware?

SomebodyInGNV

Can anyone provide a source (or design plans) for solar suitcase hardware? E.g., legs, hinges and suitcase locks? Alternatively, a ~200W mono suitcase w/o controller?

Thanks

i bought the Renogy 12V 200W suitcase off Amazon this spring, w/o controller
use it to supplement the 200W on the roof of the RV
easy in/out of suitcase and tilting hardware works well

Mine will not be a "suitcase" but same concept, and luggable. My experience with plastic cases has been bad, unless you're going for very small battery capacity. I'm contracting out having an aluminum box made to my specifications.

There are premade aluminum cases out there. Check out the "Alu-box" line. That was my plan B if I couldn't get a custom case.

If you're going small, then the options broaden up considerably.

Pick out your parts, lay them out in Sketchup to get a sense of what volume you need, then go case shopping once you know your min dimensions.

Thanks. My plans do not include anything as sophisticated as the Alu-Box line. The box would cost more than the panels. I plan to use a piano hinge on one side of a matched pair of panels, a latch of some kind on the other, folding legs inside, and a zippered fabric cover. The cover may have sheets of Masonite or luan plywood inside to reduce the risk of impacts.

I found these hinges on Amazon. If I bolt a length of aluminum angle onto the side of the panel, on the inside, I can bolt the hinge to the aluminum angle, then bolt another aluminum angle onto the hinge as a leg. A crossbar will stabilize it and also act as a support on the ground. Those are my thoughts, anyway.

If anyone has a suggestion for the closure, I'd appreciate the information.

You might look at window sash locks to latch the panels closed together.

You could look at slide bolt latches (barrel bolts) to secure the two panels flat and open.

Hope you show us some pics when you finish!

Back