diy solar

diy solar

Solar Together (UK) (who are they?)

Forty_Two

Solar Together - who are they and how does it work (for them)

In about October last year I got a letter though my letter box purporting to come from Liverpool City Council (it contained the Liverpool City Council logo and signed off as ‘Best Wishes, Liverpool City Council’) asking me to join the Solar Together scheme to get the best price for the installation of solar panels. I joined the scheme in the belief that it was a Liverpool City Council run scheme and that they would be doing all the checks on getting the best prices from a reputable installer and that I would have their support should there be any issues. The panels were installed in December by a local company. In March this year I started the pursuit of a complaint with the installing company which came to halt after they said that they had told me xyz in a phone call and I said that I never received that call. I called Solar Together (0800 285 1452) to ask for help with my complaint and was shocked to discover that I was not speaking to someone in my local Council - they were in Hampshire. I was further shocked to discover that they appear to be some kind of ‘in the middle’ ‘switch your energy’ company with NO complaints handing procedure i.e. no email just the person on the phone.

I can’t get any sense from Liverpool City Council on who, when, why or what?

I have heard of similar schemes via other councils. I got the impression that they were a middle-man that negotiated 'group buy' type rates with whatever installer they could find with the aim of getting a lower cost for the individual. The sceptic in me suspects the council might get some form of commission from this for their effort in promoting the scheme, but may be wrong there.

What issues did you have / are you having?

Solar Together is genuine. I used that scheme to get my solar installed. They work with local councils to get a group of people in each area who want solar, then negotiate to find the best value installer. Whether it is cheaper than going direct to an installer I don't know.
There were various hitches getting mine installed, but they did eventually get it done.

... They work with local councils to get a group of people in each area who want solar, then negotiate to find the best value installer. .
best value = cheapest?
best value = quality installer that has good reputation?
best value = installer that has some some blokes that are no longer busy installing sat TV dishes?

Do the councils underwrite the warranties that the installers offer?

best value = cheapest?
best value = quality installer that has good reputation?
best value = installer that has some some blokes that are no longer busy installing sat TV dishes?
Heh! One of those, probably. Greenscape did mine. Other than lots of delays and cancelled installation dates it seems ok.
Do the councils underwrite the warranties that the installers offer?
From what I remember, once the deal has been done the council walks away. You're left with the standard 10 year warranty which is backed by IWA if the installer vanishes.

I hope my installer doesn't vanish within 10 years ?‍♀️?‍??:eek:

Back