diy solar

diy solar

Solid Little bench supply. Hanmatek

Frick

Solar Enthusiast
Bought this some months ago,

Expect for blowing out the diode across the outputs when I hooked it to the lawnmower battery backward when charging it (which I just clipped off till I get a new one) it has been an excellent little supply. I wish I had spent the extra $20 and got the 10 amp over the 5, but whatever. It’s accurate to its last digit (thousandths of a volt) according to my fluke, will charge in constant current and then Constant voltage mode for doing top balence, is easy to adjust and has served me well so far. Replace the leads it comes with at least 10ga ones though.

I have a 20 Ah Eco-Worthy LFP battery I use for portable ham radio stuff, and needed a better way to charge it than using my old Sears FLA "buzz box" charger from 1980. I picked up the Hanmatek HM310, the 10-amp version of that supply, so I could charge at 0.5C. After using it twice for that purpose, I'm very happy with the result. Other than a little wandering of the charge current during constant-voltage phase, it's really solid.

After playing with settings, it looks likes setting the voltage at 14.2 and the current to 10.0, and manually disconnecting using the supply's output disable button when I see charging current decline to 1.0 amps (which is .05C) is about optimal for my application.

I will say this - The supply has a thermostatically-triggered fan that is distractingly loud. If I dial back charging to 5.0 amps, it runs cool enough the fan doesn't come on.

My only real complaint is that the RF noise filtering is poor. It gets into nearby radio receivers during charging. I'm going to try a ferrite core choke on the DC output leads to see if that helps.

Back