diy solar

diy solar

Solis hybrid RHI-6K-48ES-5G with DIY Lifepo4 16pcs 48volts,,, BMS ?

Drsif

Solis hybrid RHI-6K-48ES-5G with DIY Lifepo4 16pcs 48volts

Which BMS can i use to make my life easier ?
any plug and play option ?

Thank you

Would put an active balancer on, something like 4th gen heltec with 4 amp balancing current.

It's a passive one with very little current ability, think 100ma, so it's up to you.

JK does active balancing. Not plug and play but I am happy with mine. Set inverter to charge volts manually and bms as a safety and it doesn't really need to communicate.

JK does active balancing. Not plug and play but I am happy with mine. Set inverter to charge volts manually and bms as a safety and it doesn't really need to communicate.
Hi @Clifton, I assume you are running in "Lead-Acid" mode. What settings do you use in the Solis Menu ? Specifically the more difficult ones :
Floating Voltage
Floating Current
Equalizing Voltage
Over Discharge Voltage
Force Charge Voltage

Hi @Clifton, I assume you are running in "Lead-Acid" mode. What settings do you use in the Solis Menu ? Specifically the more difficult ones :
Floating Voltage
Floating Current
Equalizing Voltage
Over Discharge Voltage
Force Charge Voltage
I'm running twin EG6500's. Battery type is set to "User Defined"
Float Voltage, 54.6
Bulk Voltage, 55.0, many people go higher
Equalization, disabled
Max charge current, 60a per inverter. 120a total, less than .5C to keep the batteries happy
Battery cut off voltage 47.5v

Back to grid voltage, when inverter switches from battery to utility, 49v. I've tried 48v but it didn't get me much longer.
Back the discharge, when there is enough battery to switch back to battery mode, usually around 7:30 AM if I don't make it through. 51v . By the time I have 51v there is enough solar that there is no risk of kicking back to utility. At 50V there was based on my loads, constant 1000-1350 watt.

I'm running twin EG6500's. Battery type is set to "User Defined"
Float Voltage, 54.6
Bulk Voltage, 55.0, many people go higher
Equalization, disabled
Max charge current, 60a per inverter. 120a total, less than .5C to keep the batteries happy
Battery cut off voltage 47.5v

Back to grid voltage, when inverter switches from battery to utility, 49v. I've tried 48v but it didn't get me much longer.
Back the discharge, when there is enough battery to switch back to battery mode, usually around 7:30 AM if I don't make it through. 51v . By the time I have 51v there is enough solar that there is no risk of kicking back to utility. At 50V there was based on my loads, constant 1000-1350 watt.
I thought setting to "User Defined" doesn't work as it still comes up with CAN failure as opposed to "Can Null".
It does so on my side and I had to use the "Lead Acid" option.
Perhaps firmware related?

What are your JK BMS settings, out of interest?

Last edited:
does anyone know, how does the bms communicate to the inverter ?

I want to sign a quote for 7X 420wp panels, in combination with a Solis RHI-5K-48ES inverter.
This supports Pylontech.
I need to make sure this will work with a DIY battery. (15S1P LFP280)

does anyone know, how does the bms communicate to the inverter ?

I want to sign a quote for 7X 420wp panels, in combination with a Solis RHI-5K-48ES inverter.
This supports Pylontech.
I need to make sure this will work with a DIY battery. (15S1P LFP280)
Just a fyi, it's 16 cells for lifepo4.

Fyi = for your information.

Lifepo4 configuration for a 48v system is 16 cells, you don't do the calculation as 48 divide by 3.2.

Voltage has nothing to do with pylontech, pylontech batteries talk a protocol over can bus, a lot of companies copy the protocol and implement it as it's quite well supported by various manufacturers.

Fyi = for your information.

Lifepo4 configuration for a 48v system is 16 cells, you don't do the calculation as 48 divide by 3.2.
Pylontech batteries have sets of 15 cells. Of course that doesn't mean a BMS using Pylontech protocol need have a 15 cell arrangement.

Pylontech batteries have sets of 15 cells. Of course that doesn't mean a BMS using Pylontech protocol need have a 15 cell arrangement.
Am guessing pylontech batteries isn't using lifepo4 batteries then?....

Back