diy solar

diy solar

Solis S5-EH1P6K-L no grid detected

Thanks both. Will take this back to basics and cut the complexity, introducing appropriate protection along the way. Any reason not to used an RCBO instead of MCB?

@SeaGal I'll reconfigure then we can see if your questions still need answering (on mobile now)...

OK, so an update - and first of all, thanks @SeaGal and @Solar Guppy for the support and advice.

By stripping away all the complexity, I now have: battery===inverter---AC-GRID----rotary isolator----CU (housing 32A MCB). Net result is that the inverter can now see the grid, show no alarms, and charge the battery :-D

The question I have now, having charged the battery, is - how do I discharge it between now and the Octopus charging window of 0030-0430? Put another way, what are the settings I need to apply on the Solis inverter in order to achieve the intended time-shift in consumption? Key aspects I think are:
  1. Charge 0030-0430 only - already set as per https://blog.jonsdocs.org.uk/2022/08/07/solis-hybrid-inverter-charging-from-the-grid/
    1. There's no "Optimal Income" setting, but rather a different "RUN" setting (can't remember the exact label). Same place in the menu, just On/Off options
    2. Do I need to do anything additionally to prevent the inverter charging the batteries from grid outside this time window?
  2. Discharge in TOU should be set to 0A, correct?
  3. Battery parameters specific to Fogstar 5.12kWh units?
  4. Any other settings needed to guarantee zero export to grid (other than brief exports due to the time it takes the inverter to reduce its output when a house load is switched off)?

OK, so an update - and first of all, thanks @SeaGal and @Solar Guppy for the support and advice.

By stripping away all the complexity, I now have: battery===inverter---AC-GRID----rotary isolator----CU (housing 32A MCB). Net result is that the inverter can now see the grid, show no alarms, and charge the battery :-D
(y)

The question I have now, having charged the battery, is - how do I discharge it between now and the Octopus charging window of 0030-0430?
Put another way, what are the settings I need to apply on the Solis inverter in order to achieve the intended time-shift in consumption?
If it is set to self-use mode then the Solis will power the house (by PV and/or battery) as required without exporting to grid. No setting required in the TOU menus to do that.

... Do I need to do anything additionally to prevent the inverter charging the batteries from grid outside this time window?
No

• Discharge in TOU should be set to 0A, correct?
Can be, but won't ever be 'used' as you're not going to set a force discharge period.

• Battery parameters specific to Fogstar 5.12kWh units?
Fogstar's PACE BMS should be set to Pylontech protocol. Configure the Solis for battery type PylonLV

• Any other settings needed to guarantee zero export to grid (other than brief exports due to the time it takes the inverter to reduce its output when a house load is switched off)?
Nope. Assuming CT clamp is installed correctly and RS485 meter comms is working, then Self use mode will do exactly that :) Happy days!

If it is set to self-use mode then the Solis will power the house (by PV and/or battery) as required without exporting to grid. No setting required in the TOU menus to do that.
self-use WILL sell to the grid port excess generation ( over the home usage ) as measured by the external meter with the CT on the main feed to the 'CU'. I've run For 3 years this way. ( USA 5G Hybrid ), I've not read that the UK version are different?

The setting to change is in the advanced menu -> export power set -> Backflow power and set to 0. Keep in mind this is not 100% and in dynamic conditions with loads switching off, there can be a few seconds of export energy until the inverter can react.

self-use WILL sell to the grid port excess generation ( over the home usage ) as measured by the external meter with the CT on the main feed to the 'CU'. I've run For 3 years this way. ( USA 5G Hybrid ), I've not read that the UK version are different?

The setting to change is in the advanced menu -> export power set -> Backflow power and set to 0. Keep in mind this is not 100% and in dynamic conditions with loads switching off, there can be a few seconds of export energy until the inverter can react.
UK version is not different... you are totally correct (of course ;) ) - I was in a rush to answer, and made the assumption that the OP just didn't want to export battery power to grid, rather than restrict grid export completely!

UK version is not different... you are totally correct (of course ;) ) - I was in a rush to answer, and made the assumption that the OP just didn't want to export battery power to grid, rather than restrict grid export completely!

Battery will export with self-use if TOU is selected, I do it daily to prevent the 10am to 2pm from exceeding my hard limit of 10kW export for the service tier I have for solar gridtie, each morning I sell battery to get the SOC to 40% and the recharge during the midday.

Battery will export with self-use if TOU is selected, I do it daily to prevent the 10am to 2pm from exceeding my hard limit of 10kW export for the service tier I have for solar gridtie, each morning I sell battery to get the SOC to 40% and the recharge during the midday.
I understood it will export if you specify a TOU discharge period, at the specified ampage.

Fascinated to understand what you are doing with yours - is that because you are paid to export in the morning and, being in FL, you will have sun to recharge later in the day? But re the 10kW export limit, wouldn't just setting the export power limitation to 10kW work?

(y)

No

Can be, but won't ever be 'used' as you're not going to set a force discharge period.

Fogstar's PACE BMS should be set to Pylontech protocol. Configure the Solis for battery type PylonLV

Nope. Assuming CT clamp is installed correctly and RS485 meter comms is working, then Self use mode will do exactly that :) Happy days!
Super.

Shouldn't it be discharging right now though, then?

Also how do I set it to fill battery to 100%, and discharge to 5%?

Attachments

• PXL_20240118_103232032.jpg
    PXL_20240118_103232032.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 3
Super.

Shouldn't it be discharging right now though, then?

Also how do I set it to fill battery to 100%, and discharge to 5%?
Yes it should unless you have set a charge or discharge time to be on now - can you share the TOU screen.

Is the house load of 4.3kW about right?

It will always try to charge up to 100% if it has enough time/power.

The minimum discharge level is set by the Over Discharge SOC value and Force Charge SOC value.

Over Discharge SOC is the %age where it will stop using the batteries for load and export. After that it will only use the batteries to power the inverter itself - until it gets down to Force Charge SOC when it will top the batteries up from the grid a bit - as long as Charge From Grid is enabled.

The batteries shouldn't get below Force Charge SOC.

I have my Over Discharge SOC set to 12% and Force Charge SOC at 10% for my S5-EH1P3K-L with 2 x Pylontech US2000C

Yes it should unless you have set a charge or discharge time to be on now - can you share the TOU screen.

Is the house load of 4.3kW about right?
House load is correct (ASHP working hard as ktichen fitters keep leaving the doors open....)

TOU screen attached, no forced charge or discharge set for right now. Clock is correct from what I can tell

Attachments

• PXL_20240118_110914500.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240118_110914500.MP.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 3
It will always try to charge up to 100% if it has enough time/power.

The minimum discharge level is set by the Over Discharge SOC value and Force Charge SOC value.

Over Discharge SOC is the %age where it will stop using the batteries for load and export. After that it will only use the batteries to power the inverter itself - until it gets down to Force Charge SOC when it will top the batteries up from the grid a bit - as long as Charge From Grid is enabled.

The batteries shouldn't get below Force Charge SOC.

I have my Over Discharge SOC set to 12% and Force Charge SOC at 10% for my S5-EH1P3K-L with 2 x Pylontech US2000C
Why is it stopping at 81% then? I got this all up and running yesterday, and it started charging - 32% to 81%, then nothing else.

Thanks for the explanation of Over Discharge and Force Charge.

OP does want to stop grid export completely - I don't have an export tariff at present.

Thanks @Solar Guppy, that's how I have it set. Good to know there's nothing else needed beyond that.

OP does want to stop grid export completely
There is no gain in that, IMHO. But as you don't have PV yet, irrelevant anyway.

Re not charging beyond 81% and not discharging now, are there any alarms on Solis or Fogstar's BMS monitor. Would be good to see Fogstar's screen (on pc from the BMS data).

No alarms.

Fogstar touchscreen below, not hooked it up to PC yet.

Accoridng to @bazza14 SOC maximum is "under 'Backup Mode' of operation", and that the discharge l;imtation might be becaus eIU haven't deselected Backup mode, or something along those lines. Will check and report back

Attachments

• PXL_20240118_111204982.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240118_111204982.MP.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 2
Accoridng to @bazza14 SOC maximum is "under 'Backup Mode' of operation", and that the discharge l;imtation might be becaus eIU haven't deselected Backup mode, or something along those lines. Will check and report back
You should have the Solis set to 'self-use' mode, not 'backup mode' (as I said in post #23)

It is in Self-Use mode, but when I first had the inverter I was flicking through the options/modes so may have put it on and it's "stuck" on

What is stuck on? It's either in self-use mode or backup mode?

It is possible to have more than one mode enabled at the same time, which confuses the inverter. Go through each of the modes making sure they are all set to Off/Disabled, leaving just Self Use enabled.

Last edited:
Back