diy solar

diy solar

**Solved**Issues with EG4 18Kpv

eod1991

Good evening everyone, I recently installed (myself) a completely off grid system here on my property. The system consists of:
40x blue sun 460W bifacial panels
2x EG4 18Kpv inverters in parallel
6x EG4 48v 14.4Kw power pro batteries
1x 600V EMP Sheild
1x15kw Diesel Generator

The issue I am having is power surges and dips. I am noticing a lot of flickering of my led lights in my house. Almost to the point I am getting headaches. I decided to put a DMM on the load terminals and found that when turning on a high draw appliance the voltage drops from 242v to about 226v and then stabilize back to about 240v fairly quickly. When the appliance is turned off the voltage will spike up to about 256v and then come down quickly. I feel as though this shouldn’t happen but I thought I would ask here before I go back to signature solar for support. They have been great thus far at troubleshooting but they seem to have limited knowledge with the new 18Kpv system. I appreciate an help or insight that can be offered.

Thanks,

Ps- The bare wires you can see in the LB are for a future grid tie connection. They are not currently connected to anything.

Edit to add a note about firmware. While working with signature solar support we updated to the newest firmware and the issues got worse. We then backdated to an older firmware and the issue seemed to go away or be almost gone for a while. I started noticing it again this evening

**Solved**
Turns out my Kureg was causing the problem. Apparently it maintains hot water. It was causing the lights to flicker every 30-45 seconds.

Attachments

• IMG_6954.jpeg
    IMG_6954.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_6689.jpeg
    IMG_6689.jpeg
    503.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_6686.jpeg
    IMG_6686.jpeg
    466.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6678.jpeg
    IMG_6678.jpeg
    591.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_6675.jpeg
    IMG_6675.jpeg
    591.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6680.jpeg
    IMG_6680.jpeg
    998.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_6677.jpeg
    IMG_6677.jpeg
    932.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
Damn that's a nice setup!
I'm not super familiar with those inverters but I'm sure the first question you'll be asked if you've updated to the latest firmware.
The latest firmware seems to have made them much, much better.

Welcome to the forum.
Damn that's a nice setup!
I'm not super familiar with those inverters but I'm sure the first question you'll be asked if you've updated to the latest firmware.
The latest firmware seems to have made them much, much better.
Thank you! It was a blast building it! While working with signature solar support we updated to the newest firmware and the issues got worse. We then backdated to an older firmware and the issue seemed to go away or be almost gone for a while. I started noticing it again this evening. I have convinced myself that something is wrong.

@EG4_Jarrett @Markus_EG4
Thank you! It was a blast building it! While working with signature solar support we updated to the newest firmware and the issues got worse. We then backdated to an older firmware and the issue seemed to go away or be almost gone for a while. I started noticing it again this evening. I have convinced myself that something is wrong.
It certainly sounds that way.

Good evening everyone, I recently installed (myself) a completely off grid system here on my property. The system consists of:
1x 600V EMP Sheild
1x15kw Diesel Generator

The issue I am having is power surges and dips. I am noticing a lot of flickering of my led lights in my house. Almost to the point I am getting headaches. I decided to put a DMM on the load terminals and found that when turning on a high draw appliance the voltage drops from 242v to about 226v and then stabilize back to about 240v fairly quickly. When the appliance is turned off the voltage will spike up to about 256v and then come down quickly. I feel as though this shouldn’t happen but I thought I would ask here before I go back to signature solar for support. They have been great thus far at troubleshooting but they seem to have limited knowledge with the new 18Kpv system. I appreciate an help or insight that can be offered.

Thanks,

Ps- The bare wires you can see in the LB are for a future grid tie connection. They are not currently connected to anything.

Edit to add a note about firmware. While working with signature solar support we updated to the newest firmware and the issues got worse. We then backdated to an older firmware and the issue seemed to go away or be almost gone for a while. I started noticing it again this evening
I can help you out Sir

1x 600V EMP Sheild
1x15kw Diesel Generator

Thanks,

I can help out as well. The first thing you'll want to do is remove that ground that's running from the PV panels to the PE Bus. We've had some cases where this was causing lights to flicker.

I can't seem to find your neutral in the photos either. Do you have one running from your output to your load panel?

I can help out as well. The first thing you'll want to do is remove that ground that's running from the PV panels to the PE Bus. We've had some cases where this was causing lights to flicker.

I can't seem to find your neutral in the photos either. Do you have one running from your output to your load panel?
The ground you see is actually just grounding all the conduit boxes. The solar panels are grounded separately out at the array.

The neutral is hidden behind the grid lines.

Did you ever get this figured out? I'm trying to get my two running tomorrow.

Are you saying you have LEDs flickering as well?
I did on my 6500's but I disconnected my ground and neutrals and it fixed it.
I had not seen the flickering yet anywhere on the 18k's.. So I'm curious what the fix was.

1x 600V EMP Sheild
1x15kw Diesel Generator

Thanks,

**Solved**
Turns out my Kureg was causing the problem. Apparently it maintains hot water. It was causing the lights to flicker every 30-45 seconds.
Did you get both of your wifi dongles connected? I have one, but can't get the 2nd one to connect.

Back